ot: Who got a raise?

http://rense.com/general94/whstaff.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/michele-bachmanns-too-good-to-be-true-stat-on-federal-workers/2011/08/15/gIQAZaqbHJ_blog.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews
" The Facts Note that although the GOP presidential aspirant starts out by talking about the "never-seen-before levels" of spending under Obama and then mentions "the trillion-dollar stimulus," the example she cites - the number of Transportation Department employees making more than $170,000 - uses the metric of "the beginning of the recession." There's a reason for that phrase: The recession started in December 2007, 13 months before Obama became president.
In other words, Bachmann gives the impression that she is talking about something that Obama did, but in fact, the big increase in government pay that she denounces started under Obama's Republican predecessor, George W. Bush.
In fact, the apparent source of Bachmann's claim, a 2009 article in USA Today, made it clear that Bush recommended across-the-board raises that, after they got through Congress, resulted in boosts of 3 percent in January 2008 and 3.9 percent in January 2009. By contrast, Obama in 2010 recommended the smallest federal pay raise since 1975 - 2 percent - and then froze salaries in 2011."
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/michele-bachmanns-too-good-to-be-true-stat-on-federal-workers/2011/08/15/gIQAZaqbHJ_blog.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews
Yeah, it's important that the truth be properly positioned if you are Michelle Bachmann. LOL Happy Birthday, Elvis! Hahahahaha.....
--
John R. Carroll

Kinda begs for a photoshop makeover:
http://www.pamil-visions.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/michele-bachmann-corn-dog.png
Right wing nut jobs will probably oblige.....
--and then they'll accuse Democrats.
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

http://www.pamil-visions.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/michele-bachmann-corn-dog.png
Wrong Bachmann. LOL I think her hubby is the sword swallower of the family.

Perry is a likely target. The higher up the tree a monkey climbs the uglier the picture gets. That ought to be easy enough to satirize. Perry is about as Cromagnon as a modern human could be. Even a Texican.
He reminds me of a slightly retarded version of Dumbya with an extra helping of jeebus thrown in for good measure.
--
John R. Carroll

On 8/17/2011 12:10 PM, John R. Carroll wrote:

Don't believe it, John. He's pure politician.
Richard wrote:

I believe every word of that, Richard. I think he's actually got a chance. Not a big one but as good as any. I just don't think his schtick will travel well. Romney-Perry (unlikely), Romney-Bachmann or Perry-Pawlenty might be a little confusing but could fly in the general.
One thing is for sure - anbd it's the only thing. SNL is going to have a blast!
--
John R. Carroll

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-sad-facts-behind-rick-perrys-texas-miracle/2011/08/16/gIQAxc3zJJ_story.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews
" The sad facts behind Rick Perry's Texas miracle"
"Rick Perry's Texas is Ross Perot's Mexico come north. Through a range of enticements we more commonly associate with Third World nations - low wages, no benefits, high rates of poverty, scant taxes, few regulations and generous corporate subsidies - the state has produced its own "giant sucking sound," attracting businesses from other states to a place where workers come cheap."

On 8/17/2011 12:55 PM, John R. Carroll wrote:

He will adapt to meet the needs of (his donors?).
And yeah, SNL will be a hoot!
Richard wrote:

I just finished yesterday's press clippings on Perry. Never a dull moment. LOL
We'll all be having a good laugh as the economy takes us over the cliff. You really couldn't make this guy up.
He speaks about auditing the Federal Reserve as if that doesn't happen on a regular basis. They publish their balance sheet and income statement on line every week. Outside auditors review the books and records multiple times every year. It's an ongoing process nearly. How can Perry, a Presidential candidate, not know that?
I knew he was from the "Big Empty" but the real big empty appears to be between his ears! Mean sucker though, isn't he. You wouldn't want him on your ass.
--
John R. Carroll

On 8/18/2011 3:32 AM, John R. Carroll wrote:

Welcome to the 2012 Presidential election!
That "mean" part might be what get's him elected.
My read is that people feel like we (US) have been pushed around too long and limp wrist politicians are the cause of it all. They might not be too wrong there too.
What "we" need (to put the world order back in it's place) is the best liar and the meanest bully we can elect.
A little smoke and mirrors and who knows?
Richard wrote:

That was how he beat Kay Bailey. Mostly, anyway.

Perry is the guy if you are right.

I've very little hope at this point. Having hunkered down pretty good, I'm just watching what is either a bad movie or horror show. It's to early to know which but late enough to see it's one or the other. I'm glad I'm not 30 and married.
--
John R. Carroll

copy that!
Richard wrote:

Think about what it must be like to be just starting out in todays world. You'd have to be optimistic and look at everything as an opportunity but thatse opportunities aren't nearly as promising as the ones I remember looking forward to. It's really a shame and maybe the worst result of all of this.
--
John R. Carroll

On 8/18/2011 10:04 AM, John R. Carroll wrote:

My girl friend has three daughters. Two are still in school - or want to go to school.
But college loans are dumber than a 30 year mortgage.
We hear about it a lot.
You are right on..
Richard wrote:

At This Camp for Girls, Crafts Definitely Require a Drill Press By MOTOKO RICH RIVER GROVE, Ill. - Forget tie-dyed shirts, lanyards and water games. At summer camp this year, Nautika Kotero, 13, learned to use a drill press, solder electrical wires and build a lamp.
Though the slim, 5-foot-5 teenager dreams of becoming a basketball star, Nautika now has a backup plan after her weeklong immersion course: a career in manufacturing.
Just over a quarter of the 11.7 million workers in manufacturing are women. But Gadget Camp, a workshop for girls in this suburb west of Chicago, is part of an effort to change that.
Although the economy is wobbling and nearly 14 million people are looking for work, some employers are still having a hard time finding skilled workers for certain positions. Manufacturers in particular complain that few applicants can operate computerized equipment, read blueprints and solve production problems. And with the baby boomers starting to retire, these and other employers worry there will be few young workers willing or able to replace them.
Gadget Camp, sponsored in part by a foundation affiliated with the Fabricators and Manufacturers Association, which provided financing to nine other camps this summer, is intended to help over the long haul by exposing girls to an occupation they might previously have considered unappealing, if they considered it at all.
By the last day of camp, Nautika had told her parents that manufacturing was "cool." Fashioning a lamp shade out of a thin piece of cardboard, she mused, "I have two good careers ahead of me." Since the fragile recovery began, manufacturing is one of the few sectors that have added jobs. But the image of manufacturing as an occupation of the future has been tarnished by the exodus of factory jobs to foreign sites and the use of machinery to replace workers. Younger people, especially, see more alluring opportunities in digital technology, finance or health care.
"The perception is that there are no jobs in manufacturing," said Susan H. Palisano, director of education and training at the Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology, a nonprofit group in East Hartford that promotes manufacturing employment and has run summer programs for middle-school students for the last three years. "It seems that everybody had an uncle or grandfather that got laid off."
Across the country, a handful of companies, nonprofit groups, public educational agencies and even science museums are trying to make manufacturing seem, well, fun. Focusing mainly on children aged 10 to 17, organizations including the Da Vinci Science Center in Allentown, Pa.; and Stihl, a maker of chain saws and other outdoor power equipment in Virginia Beach, Va., run camps that let students operate basic machinery, meet workers and make things.
Nuts, Bolts & Thingamajigs, the foundation that helped sponsor the Gadget camp in River Grove, has awarded $2,500 grants to 112 manufacturing-themed camps - most of them for boys and girls - around the country since 2004. "It's not easy getting people into the career field," said Marcia Arndt, a board member of the foundation. "I think there's a myth out there that manufacturing is dirty and undesirable, but it's really highly technological."
Impressions also persist that manufacturing is a man's job. Technical fields in general, and those that require scientific or mathematical backgrounds, are indeed dominated by men. Yet a Commerce Department report released early this month showed that women in such fields earn 33 percent more, on average, than women working outside of scientific and technical fields, a higher premium than men enjoy in similar occupations.
Antigone Sharris, who came up with the idea for the all-girls Gadget camp, had worked extensively in manufacturing before becoming an instructor in electronics, welding and computer-aided machinery at Triton College, a two-year public school here that provided some funding for the camp.
Ms. Sharris is a mentor to high school robotics teams and wants to encourage young women to consider a range of technically oriented careers. "Girls don't naturally gravitate toward engineering," said Ms. Sharris, a jolly and patient instructor who interspersed practical tips on using a band saw or a drill press with casual explanations of fractions, the concept of leverage and Newton's laws.
In a windowless classroom and shop on Triton's scruffy campus, 16 girls aged 11 to 15 designed and constructed a cat feeder, a candy dispenser and various pieces of jewelry and music boxes, using foam board, wood, metal, fiberglass and PVC pipe.
"Not letting your children learn the hands-on component of the theory of science is killing us as a nation," Ms. Sharris said. "You have to stop giving kids books and start giving them tools."
To give the girls a concrete sense of what such skills could mean in the workplace, Ms. Sharris invited a human resources coordinator from a local manufacturer to tell them about salaries - starting in the $40,000 range and moving up to six digits, including overtime.
Several of the campers came from low-income and minority communities near the college. Only five of the 16 girls at the camp had paid the $99 fee; the rest were subsidized.
While Ms. Sharris focused mostly on basic technical skills, factory tours aimed at introducing the girls to modern manufacturing work brought out talk that might have fit at a nationalist rally.
During a tour of Tru-Way, which produces precision metal parts, Stan Mastalerz, the company's president, showed the girls a tiny component used in electronic circuit boards.
Ms. Sharris jumped in. "See that?" she asked. "This is something that might be in your Game Boy that you don't even know about. The game may be made in China, but there are pieces that are made right here in your backyard."
The reality of factory life gave a few girls pause. Visiting Tru-Way on a scorching summer afternoon, they noted the extreme heat and noise of the shop floor.
Brittany Orr, 15, who asked questions and jotted notes, said she liked the tasks that involved some thought and analysis. But "I would not want to do a job where you just do the same thing again," she said. "It seems tedious."
A tour of MSi Testing & Engineering, a small company in Melrose Park, Ill., that evaluates the strength and quality of metal materials used by manufacturers, showed that it offered more of the work she preferred.
In the end, the campers learned lessons in persistence and problem-solving as well as technical skills. When Nautika began building the lamp she had designed, she wanted to install a rotating shade.
Ms. Sharris brought out a tiny motor. "What you are trying to figure out is what to use to make your lampshade so that it will spin," she said.
Ms. Sharris rejected Nautika's first suggestion of foam board: too heavy. Ms. Sharris recommended a simple piece of copier paper, then spied a paper plate on a table. "Humor me," she said, showing Nautika how to affix the motor to the plate with generous daubs from a glue gun.
Next came wiring a battery. To tutor Nautika in basic electronics, Ms. Sharris recruited Ariana Vargas, a 17-year-old counselor who has competed on her robotics team. Ariana demonstrated how to strip the green coating from the electrical wires with pliers. On Nautika's first try, the whole tip broke off.
A few fumbles later, Nautika was frustrated. "I don't know how you did it!" she said.
Ariana replied, "Practice, practice and more practice."
Finally, the coating came off, exposing bare wire. Her confidence building, Nautika stripped another wire and slid both ends through a PVC pipe and connected them to the battery.
The plate began to spin.
"Yea!" Nautika exclaimed. "I did it."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/business/a-summer-camp-to-draw-girls-into-manufacturing-careers.html?hpw
--
John R. Carroll

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:41:47 -0700, "John R. Carroll"
<snip>

<snip>
Or even worse, just completed grad school with a humongous student loan debt and no job...
F. George McDuffee wrote:

Yeah. You'd wonder what in the hell you'd gotten yourself into.
--
John R. Carroll

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:13:36 -0700, "John R. Carroll"

================Just came across an article on this topic.
http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/18/have-b-schools-become-debtors-prisons /
F. George McDuffee wrote:

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/18/have-b-schools-become-debtors-prisons /
One of my brothers got his MBA on that campus. CSC footed the bill.
When I was in school there was never any need to analuse this sort of transaction to see if it made financial sense. What have we come too.
--
John R. Carroll