OT: Wireless Home Network

wrote:

Thanks for all of the helpful replies, which were all printed out before doing battle with the "system" yesterday. After about 7 hours at my sister's house yesterday it is finally working. The older Toshiba laptop seemed to be the problem child; that one had a bad case of infections a few months back, mostly web page hijacking, and a run with Spy-Bot seemed to help. The key seemed to be starting with no encryption (using the brand new Dell to talk to the router) and then getting the Toshiba to link to the network. A good part of the time was spent updating the Toshiba to SP2 after getting it to see the Internet.
The system had originally been configured by Comcast using their "rented" hardware(Comcast-branded Linksys modem/router), but that's now replaced with the new hardware mention in the OP. The original Comcast setup was intermittent but they were unable to fix it and that's when I got called in. I'm still not certain about the WRT54G router as it seemed to be kind of flaky when setting it up with the included software. Comcast tech support was really pretty good about getting the replacement modem recognized by their system.
Mike
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:14:53 -0500, "Mike Henry"

Has your linksys been upgraded to the latest firmware? When I got mine it was "impossible" - Tech Support walked me through flashing the firmware and it has been a joy ever sinse.

<snip>
Both the PC card and router were updated, the former manually and the latter while running through their on-line setup test/configuration routine. That on-line routine is pretty cool, but of course one needs to be on line to use it.
Mike

<snip>
Both the PC card and router were updated, the former manually and the latter while running through their on-line setup test/configuration routine. That on-line routine is pretty cool, but of course one needs to be on line to use it.
Mike
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:51:35 -0500, "Mike Henry"

You think the computer world is hell now?? Imagine it without any standards - which is what it would be without a "heavyweight" major player throwing their weight around. Think wild west, with either no lawman or a wimpy shirtwaste sherriff. Do I condone his business practices?? No. But I appreciate the fact that Microsoft is the lesser of several evils.
According to <clarence at snyder dot on dot ca>:

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... Microsoft, which has the philosophy of "adapt and extend" to all standards from outside (such as the excellent ones from the unix world), so by the time that Microsoft is done, their systems talk to each other, but use extensions which are not available to anybody else, so nobody else can talk to them.
    They tried this with HTML, with their frontpage generating broken HTML, which, interestingly enough, their *own* browser was designed to work with.
    There are plenty of excellent standards out there already. Microsoft accepts them (such as TCP/IP) only when they can't bully everyone into accepting their own standards -- and then they try to break the standards for everyone else.
    DoN.
Mike Henry posted:
"Anybody got any links to doo basic info on setting up a wireless home network?"
I use that same Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to a Linksys cable modem, and the setup is virtually automatic for an unsecured wireless network. After getting the computer to talk directly to the modem (a more complex issue because the Comcast installer had written down the incorrect MAC address), I added the Linksys router and without any setting adjustments worked immediately in an unsecured wireless mode.
To add security, you simply talk to the router with your computer (http://192.168.1.1 ) and it give you some self-explanitory menu based controls that will allow you to secure your wireless network.
Getting multiple computers to securely have access to Comcast is trivial, but getting the computers to access each other over the wireless network is a bit more difficult, and a trick that I have not yet completely mastered but am working on.
Hope this helps.
Harry C.
p.s. If you also have a Linksys modem (mine is a model BEF something or other), it's address is http://192.168.100.1 /... The modem will provide you with a menu that allows you to monitor the signal level and S/N ratio of the signal provided by Comcast, and also the log of modem operation and cable related history that it keep.
Mike, as an afterthought, it can be a bit tricky setting up the security of your Linksys wireless network.
For setting up the encryption, you get the routers menu, click on wireless, then click on "Wireless Security"... When the menu pops up select WEP encription and select which password key you will use because the router will generate 4 (the default is 1). Next enter the passphrase that you wish to use and then hit 'generate'. The router will compute 4 different keys based on your passphrase, so you'll want to copy these down or print the page. Finally click on 'Save Settings' and your wireless network is now secure. (At which your neighbors previously using your wireless network will not glare at you because they can no longer gain free access to the internet! :-) )
Assuming that you've selected Key #1, this is the key that you need to put into all the computers that you have accessing the now secured wireless network. In actuality, I spent more time figuring how to setup secured wireless access on my computers using Windows XP Professional than I did on setting up the router.
Although all of the 4-5 computers in my home can now freely access the internet, I'm still working on getting them to talk to one another. That's a Microsoft issue and not a problem of the modem or router.
I'm no network guru, but if I can be of help in any way, feel free to contact me by email at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (I don't use my Comcast email account for anything but business based on past experiences.)
Kindest regards, Harry C.
(I don't use my Comcast email

Thanks Harry. It seems to be working OK now.