OT: Wireless Home Network

Sounds like the same problem I had. As recieved, the router in my system was configured so that each wireless connection had to be specifically authorized in the setup. My machines would seem to connect, but then fail to work. They would see the network, just could not use it. jk

Reply to
jk

David Billington

According to :

The ISP runs a DHCP server to assign IPs to the cable modem or (A)SDL modem. However, that modem is typically also a hub, and is running NAT to translate that single IP address which you got from the ISP to a block of local addresses. The 192.168.0.0/16 block is one of a group which are not to be routed directly to the outside, so only if they undergo NAT translation will they reach the outside, and this NAT translation can be made dependent on which port address (and thus which service) is being accessed.

Anyway -- the original poster's Zonealarm, complaining about a change from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.101 is dealing with an IP address from the DHCP *internal* to the modem/hub. When he rebooted a machine, it got a new IP address -- from his modem/hub, not from this ISP. His ISP would not be allocating IPS like 192.168.0.100, as that can go nowhere without being translated to a non-private IP range.

And it is *this* which can be fixed with static IPs.

And even more so for a full class-C block (256 addresses), which is what I have, since I have a T1 feed, instead of (A)DSL or cable modem.

Immaterial, as Zonealarm is seeing only the *local* IP addresses generated by the DHCP in the box after NAT translation, and *that* was what I was suggesting that he change to static IPs so his Zonealarm would not need to be told about new IP addresses after each reboot.

Not really -- as this is happening locally -- in communications between the customer's modem/hub and the local computers, not between the ISP and the customer.

And if the service is to provide full-time connection to the net, then the ISP must have a large enough block of IP addresses to handle all customers at the same time -- which suggests that the mobility of the IP addresses *is* to prevent running servers. (And in particular to disjoint servers installed by virus installed backdoors to serve as web sites pointed to by spam.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks Harry. It seems to be working OK now.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Thanks for all of the helpful replies, which were all printed out before doing battle with the "system" yesterday. After about 7 hours at my sister's house yesterday it is finally working. The older Toshiba laptop seemed to be the problem child; that one had a bad case of infections a few months back, mostly web page hijacking, and a run with Spy-Bot seemed to help. The key seemed to be starting with no encryption (using the brand new Dell to talk to the router) and then getting the Toshiba to link to the network. A good part of the time was spent updating the Toshiba to SP2 after getting it to see the Internet.

The system had originally been configured by Comcast using their "rented" hardware(Comcast-branded Linksys modem/router), but that's now replaced with the new hardware mention in the OP. The original Comcast setup was intermittent but they were unable to fix it and that's when I got called in. I'm still not certain about the WRT54G router as it seemed to be kind of flaky when setting it up with the included software. Comcast tech support was really pretty good about getting the replacement modem recognized by their system.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Has your linksys been upgraded to the latest firmware? When I got mine it was "impossible" - Tech Support walked me through flashing the firmware and it has been a joy ever sinse.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Both the PC card and router were updated, the former manually and the latter while running through their on-line setup test/configuration routine. That on-line routine is pretty cool, but of course one needs to be on line to use it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Abrasha, I have to agree with your comments about Linksys products and the telephone support that they provide. I also have to complement on the telephone support that they provide for the installation of their cable Internet on your computer. (It appears to mostly come from canada.) The Comcast tech rep completely walked me through the setup for my then new Windoze XP Pro operating system, step-by-step. I couldn't ask for better technical support from either firm.

Just as an aside, Abrasha, I really love that creation displayed on your website. I can't even imagine the methods that you employed to create it so perfectly!

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314