OT WooHoo!!! New Monitor

My old monitor has been slowly failing and for my birthday my wife has bought me a new View Sonic 19" LCD monitor. WOW and double WOW.

What a picture! Almost makes it worth being 56 years young.

On October 10th I will have been 38 years in machine shops of one sort or another. Lucky me I still enjoy making chips and seeing the things hidden inside the stock appear.

Happy day to all!

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

Which model did you get? I really NEED one for the RV when I'm traveling, something to plug into my laptop. I'm really getting tired of trying to do photo editing on that little screen.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

You, of course, know the alternative...... (;+)

Paul in AJ AZ

Reply to
Pep674

You might also want to take a look at the Planar PL201M (20.1") that Dell is selling. I got one last week for ~ $835 and free shipping. That was with a 10% discount; I don't know how long the offer is good for.

I echo Errol's sentiments.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

If you're getting it for RV use, give some thought to getting a model that takes 12VDC input for the screen power and uses a power brick for 120VAC power, rather than straight in at 120VAC. They make the same basic screens in both power flavors.

That way you can power both the laptop (through a simple 12VDC to laptop-voltage automotive power converter) and the monitor directly from the coach batteries while traveling, without running a 12VDC to

120VAC inverter or the RV genset to get 120VAC power - one less conversion means more power efficiency...

Costco has some nice ones. ;-p

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

FYI, when I looked a few months ago they were $699 at Cosco.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

_Now_ ya tell me!

Seriously, that's a great price. Except for Dell, the other online prices I found were from ~ $850 to $1000.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Online, they can be had for as low as $619 (and $575 for a refurb) check pricegrabber.com

Also check into the Samsung 191T. This is still a top of the line monitor, a great deal better in overall quality than the Viewsonic. This one can be viewed in landscape as well as potrait mode, which is especially handy for Web pages and word processing. It does not have speakers though like the Viewsonic. Online for as low as $609 See pricegrabber.com

And the 20" Planar for $835 from Dell that someone mentioned definitely seems like a good deal also.

The one I want is the Samsung 241MP. Dream on ...

Abrasha

Abrasha

Yes I fully agree - I got one with my new computer - it didn't come with anything. Nice to have contrast and color - and not to have a 25KV electron gun pointed at my head :-)

Yep - been sprayed by an out of control gun on my old Sun computer at work some years ago. Second degree burns. That monitor left my desk when Sun service showed up to have a look see.

I think the tubes are safer now, but still one will have to has mat the tubes. I have color TV's that will be painful to has mat them out when the day comes.

Martin [ hum - dealer trade in Hummmmmm ]

Reply to
Eastburn

Yup, got the same model, and it is a fine one. Might be a bit big for travelling - it is a 19".

Mine came from viewsonicrefurboutlet, on an eBay auction. Reconditioned, but it looked quite new to me. They are real slow to ship, but I think everybody who paid got theirs eventually. I paid $499 plus shipping. Glad to know I did get a discount for all the trouble, waiting, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The big thing for me was to get rid of flicker. (I was using 1280x1024 interlaced with no trouble, but then I changed video cards, and it wouldn't do interlaced. So, I had to tweak the video timings a bit to get it to work at the bitter edge of the monitor's frequency range. I finally wised up and figured out that pushing the monitor past its range was the reason it kept blowing sweep transistors, and I was damned tired of looking at that flickering screen.

The LCD's **don't** flicker at all! Much better to look at!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

But those were 19" and I just noticed you got a 20". :)

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I have had my VX900 for about 4 months now, also from best buy but for about $50 more when they first got them.

I really like mine. I went from a 20" Sony Multiscan20se to this so my old monitor was no slouch but it was starting to lose it. And the VX900 has the same visible image size as the 20 did.

My kids and grandkids were sort of driving me crazy when I first got it because they wanted to immediately turn the brightness and/or contrast up. I have both set right at mid range, the screen has the slightest touch of gray to it with a full white background (like now for reading news) but I can spend hours on it without a hint of eyestrain.

I finally got my one son to simply sit and use it for a while without turning it up. And he finally realized that your eyes will relax and adjust to the available light and that it is *much* easier on the eyes than an over brightened screen.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

yes, many don't understand that a 19" lcd is equivalent to a 20" crt. i had to step down to a Dell 19" crt from a 21" and really miss the extra real estate. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe