Padlock

They are of a very very tough stainless steel and while an angle grinder will go through one with enough time..the circular locks are a bitch to cut..and in a proper hasp are nearly impossible to cut.

Its far easier to simply cut away the door itself, leaving the lock and hasp hanging. When everything is properly constructed...if somone tries to cut the lock, shoot the lock etc...its a bitch and a half to get the lock/door OFF long after the bad guys have left the scene.

Its much like cutting away the lock on a Greenlee tool chest with the enclosed locks. A bitch and a half to open. Its simpler to cut the hinge. or a hole in the side of it with an oxy/acet torch.

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

I think you are looking for an Abloy padlock: .

The smaller the model number, the smaller the padlock.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Nice. They describe "3 mechanisms" by some marketing names. It would be nice if they'd give the details of what each name meant.

Others have described "ball detente" "double ball" padlocks which sound like the anti-shimming feature I'm after. A good locksmith shop should be able to show me what they've got in stock with this feature. The big box hardware store people are clueless.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hockey pucks don't fit all gym lockers.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Showing up in a locker room with bolt cutters is likely to get the thieves' a** kicked. When they break in, they do it quietly and quickly, so nobody notices. It just looks like some guy leaning against the lockers dialing in his own combo instead of actually blocking people's view while he shims the lock. So shimming (or other non-attention-getting) methods are all I have to worry about. Some of the suggested locks are pretty strong. But that's not an issue, as nobody in their right mind will try to beat a lock open in this environment. Such locks are intended for unsupervised areas.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That might fit the bill. I think the shackle is positively coupled to the cylinder with these. Not spring loaded bits to push around.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nobody messes with an angle grinder in the gym locker.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They do describe it somewhere on the manufacturer's website, or in a downloadable catalog. You need only the oldest and simplest mechanism.

The double ball padlocks (pioneered by American Lock) are shim-proof, but there are many shim-proof designs. The real rationale for the double ball mechanism is that it's very difficult to pull the hasp out of the lock body with such a design, which is very strong.

Actually, there are two ways to shim a padlock: At the hasp and at the cylinder. The padlock must be proof against both attacks. Abloy padlocks are, as are all high-security padlocks.

There are lots of lockpicking websites that describe the standard methods of attack. Here is one.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I like the way your put that "come off in less than 5 minutes with a gaoline operated cut off saw"

Thats a pretty good commentary on the security of those locks isnt it?

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

The grandkids were here this week So I spent a number of afternoons at the local athletic center swimming pool. Did not see anyone there with a gasoline powered cut off saw.

Another approach one could take is to make a box with a camera in it as well as a noise maker. And put it in a locker so when the door is opened a picture is taken and one has only a brief time to enter a code or the noise maker goes off. Would not hurt to have the box be electrically charged when the noise maker goes off. Maybe with a micro switch so if the box is lifted the noise maker goes off and the box gets charged immediately.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Yeah, considering how about half that time is getting the saw started and warmed up...

Reply to
Evan

Tell that to the boys in the emergency crews who use those saws to cut people out of wreckage.

Shrug

I live in the middle of a rural area that is virtually all oil fields with lots and lots of prime stealable Stuff..and those Abus locks are used everywhere. They seem to work just fine. And they cost a bit more than good Masters and other brands. So why are they being used so widely? Oil companies are as sensative about spending money as any other businessmen.

Hummm?

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure

- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Reply to
Gunner

body locks that

cks the shackle,

They don't actually use gasoline powered cut off saws to cut people out of wreckage as the amount of sparks such a saw throws off would cause more danger to the accident victim and the rescuers...

They use hydraulic powered non-sparking alloy shears to cut apart vehicles... There is a spreading jaw, a cutting shear and a hydro-jack which all use the same hoses and small portable generator type hydro power unit to operate...

The cut off saw is used to make entry through metal security grills and gratings and doors... Also used to cut holes in walls...

Reply to
Evan

locks that

the shackle,

Some small agencies still are using abrasives..but you are correct for the majority these days

I rather wonder how well the Jaws would work on an Abus disk lock?

Anybody want to spend $15 on a lock and talk someone into getting the local FD to see if they can cut it in half while attached to a good professional grade security hasp?