Paint over powder coat

I had some aluminum parts powder coated and frankly, I've never been a big fan of the process. Too glossy, shows fingerprints easy and to me, it looks like a bad paint job would -- because you can see the "globs" when the light hits it just right.

You know, like paint that was put on too thick.

Anyway, I was wondering if a light sanding might make a good surface for some paint.

Either a Polane 2 part or I have a SW all surface oil based enamel that I love (which I'll try anyway).

The all surface enamel may work because I know powder coat is basically a plastic surface and may need something "gentler" than a 2 part professional finish.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
mkr5000

Had you asked for _knowledge_ I would have kept my mouth shut (or at least posted a much shorter reply). But you want thoughts, so...

I think there are different kinds of plastic that qualify as "powder coat". Most (I think) are thermoplastics that melt when you heat them, but I know my brother has spoken about getting something powder coated with epoxy, which is a thermoset plastic. I can certainly imagine a 2- part system that goes on dry, then melts with heat and starts polymerizing.

So I think you should experiment, if you can, to find out what sticks and doesn't attack the powder coat.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Page 9 of this document gives directions for painting over polyester powder coat:

Ned Simmons

Depends on the powder coat. My shower door is powder coated. Does not show finger prints, white may be part of the reason. Had some bubbles form and painted over them after cleaning with white appliance epoxy. Still looks good.

Reply to
Calif Bill