penetrating oil - a report

I picked up this double roller chain the other day. It had sat undercover but outdoors for several years in Eastern Washington, a place that gets hot and dry in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter. It was't 100% frozen, but very close. This chain is essential to the machine - an integral part of the setup for ferrous cutting - and I decided to try the latest thing in penetrating oil. I took a coffee can and put about 5/8" of automatic transmission fluid in, and matched that amount (roughly) with acetone, and submerged the chain and left it overnight. The next day it was better, still unmovable in several spots, so back in it went. The next day (today) it's nearly all broken free. Most of it is swinging loose like a new chain. I'm guessing that by tomorrow it will do the trick.

I read about this in a recent "Machinist's Workshop" article. Says this stuff works better than Kroil, P.B. Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or any other, and for a tiny fraction of the cost per unit volume. I can't verify that it works better, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to come up with about 2 cups of Kroil for a one-off job like this!

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm not suprized it worked so well. You had two of the ingredients of "Ed's Red", a diy bore cleaner.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Better than Kroil? The legendary stuff with those testimonials like "We used to have to burn the 1-3/4" nuts off the punch press, but after one squirt of Kroil, we could take them off with our fingers?"

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

As a motorcyclist I think of chains as consumable items, having seen severe injuries caused by failures. I would check it for slack after an hour, and check it fairly often and lube it with a good motorcycle chain lube, but consider replacement.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Whoever wrote this is quite confused about what terms like "aliphatic" and "naptha" [sic] mean.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Sheeeit, and after I just spent about $240 on shipments from g-d Kroil and PB Blaster. Kroil: $31/gal!!!!! PB: $20/gal, but you gotta buy 4, but they also give you spray bottles along with it. The Kroil peeple just give you a kick in the ass...

Kroil also drops mosquities and flies right outta the sky, bruhs, makes me wonder what's in it.

Why I spent so much, I don't know--musta been some kind of assaholic attack. But it's time to do some Grant-style experimentation.

Good info.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Mostly light petroleum distillates, like kerosene.

(Sorry to offend the religious sensibilities of those who are true believers.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Do you select your Scotch whiskey based only on the MSDS and price?

ATF + acetone and Ed's Red do work quite well, but Kroil (whatever it is) really is rather amazing stuff at times.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yes. (If the application is killing mosquitoes.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

next time just half fill the tin with dieselene.

it will do the same thing. Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

So is PB.

But I vacillate in my preference.

Sometimes I think it has to do with my color preference of the month. The rust-brown color of PB is not very "assuring", from a lube pov. The red of Kroil is a little disconcerting at times--sometimes I check myself for cuts. :)

But since I'm pissed at the Kroil company, and it's not mosquito season yet, I'm a PB guy now.

Stealth Pilot referred to "dieselene"--does he mean just regular diesel? And what's the diff between diesel and kerosene? And #2 oil, for that matter? Carbon chain length? Branching? Additives?

**But I think the gist of Grant's post is profound** : That is, Eff these high-priced penetrants, and make yer own. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kroil, PB et al are just the results of kitchen/hardware store chemistry
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

According to:

its a gasoline-diesel mix.

Apparently its a common fuel in some parts of the world.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I might if I'd ever heard of the stuff. :-) Seriously, the question would be why? I couldn't possibly save any money, this was the tail end of an ancient bottle of ATF, probably from the '70s, and a bit from a can of acetone which has sat on my shelf for years untouched.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Which makes its performance even more impressive, since the acetone was _at_least_ 8% water by weight, by the time you used it.

Gotta try that mix....

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Next you will be dissing WD-40 ;)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

If there's religion in metalworking, penetrating oil is it.

I've used a lot of combinations of stuff in the shop:automatic trans. oil + acetone or brake fluid (both are good), two stroke fuel (good). Cyclo brand Break Away is my favorite spray oil.

Used to have a friend who believed in WD-40. It's sort of like finding out your friend is a Moonie or a Scientologist when you find out they like WD-40..

John

Reply to
JohnM

I found something that WD-40 is good for. We have a technifor dotmatix impact printer (prints on cast iron housing) that is operating at limit of its range. Periodically a sprintz of wd40 in air system lubes the valving enough to keep the thing printing evenly.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I also find it good for sticky plastic curtain tracks (spray on a cloth or tissue and wipe over the top, load bearing area).

Reply to
Newshound

Just a quick update as of this morning - the roller chain is now down to 2 sticky links (had been at least 75% stuck) but the acetone level needed replenishing. All the links have cracked loose but two are still too tight to work by hand. Of course, in use they would likely loosen up.

The guy who posted about motorcycle chain is of course right on. However, MC chain has to run in a dirt/water bath at high and varying speeds. A chain in the final drive unit of a saw sees only relatively short periods of use, so I'm hoping it would last longer. I may well replace my chain but not until I know this saw is going to work for me, else it might be $$ down the pipe.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

If you didn't keep putting WD40 on them, they wouldn't get sticky ;-)

Mark Rand (I use Plus Gas in the UK.. seems to work) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand