penetrating oil - a report

Candle wax or canning wax works good for drapery rods, etc..

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

As long as it's not so damaged that it'll ruin the sprockets, I'd run it. Naturally, if it's effectively stretched it'll ruin the sprockets fairly soon.

Slap it against an oxygen cylinder or something similar, it'll limber right up. Back and forth, so it bends both ways.

John

Reply to
JohnM

JohnM wrote in article ...

Geez!

Remind me to NEVER work in the same shop as you do.

Slapping a chain against a high-pressure tank.....developing stress risers, etc.

Reply to
*

JohnM wrote: [snip]

or duct tape...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:f0af3i$3t0$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Just remember, If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

But it *will* shake lose!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

And what is commontructure? common structure?

Reply to
best wire

How about pneumatic oil? And an oiler in the air duct?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

If you agitated the mixture priodically it would speed up the process a great deal.

Reply to
best wire

We have an engineer that is adamant that no oil be applied. He doesn't have to support it though.

The big problem is that it is writing on a curved surface that requires the stylus to extend between minimum and maximum limits of the work zone. On a flat surface these things are fairly trouble free.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

in 2007 I removed ~50 barrels from 1903 Turkish Mausers that were re barreled in 1938.

The .98" x 12tpi threads were probably put on with 100 foot pounds and grease, but 69 years later, the grease was replaced with rust, and 1000 foot pounds torque would not make them budge.

Putting a half dozen drops of Kroil on the receiver / barrel joint and waiting a minute, the barrels would come off with less than 500 foot pounds of torque.

Everyone I gave this demonstration became a first time Kroil buyer.

The trick to converting someone is not to show them, but get them to put all their weight on the action wrench and then hit it with the sledge hammer. I put on the Kroil, and then I let them try to loosen the receiver. The threads loosening for them seems to form the salient memory and Kroil brand loyalty.

And yes, I know this is not controlled science, but more of a magic trick.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

As does the cylinder rattling in the brackets on my welding truck, as does a whole slug of 'em banging in the back of the delivery truck- especially the ones on the outside, they bang against the rail.. golly, they must be about ruined after an hour's ride downtown.

Have you ever worked at a place that handled these cylinders? I have, and I assure you that a little chain-slapping is an exceedingly minor effect compared to ordinary handling.

John

Reply to
JohnM

go down to your local service station with a mower fuel tin and put some automotive diesel fuel in it. that is dieselene in civilised countries.

I've even used it as cutting oil soak something rusty in it and the rust gets disintegrated over time.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

WD-40--in a shop?? I thought WD-40 was for mixing with drinks--or straight up. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Sound familiar?

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Do you even understand what a stress riser is?

Cylinders banging against each other do not create stress risers.

Sharp objects leaving nicks in tanks DO!

Reply to
*

in tanks DO!

Yes, I know what a stress riser is.

And my examples contained more than just cylinders banging against each other.

Shit, what do the people who change the valves use to hold the cylinder still? No stress risers there? Especially if a little something gets between the clamp and cylinder? Coil chain that secures a cylinder, pinch it between the cylinder and something solid and get no stress riser? Tip the thing over and it lands on a wrench.. whoops, another one bites the dust.

Anyway, I don't mean to be rude about it.. Yes, you can damage a cylinder, but if you go back to the original post and remember the question concerns a double roller chain that fits into a coffee can with less than an inch and a half of oil in it.. Someone's going to have to be a bit of a maniac to inflict hazardous stress risers on their oxygen cylinder by limbering this chain up on it.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Oil?

Oxygen?

Oil and Oxygen don't mix :)

Reply to
Mike

High pressure cylinders are made of steel that is approximately 3/8" thick. Anyone who thinks they can seriously hurt one by rapping it with a one-pound chain should try it sometime.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sure they do -- all too eagerly. :-) That is the *problem*.

But here the oil is on the outside of the tank, and the oxygen (at least the high pressure oxygen) is on the inside, with a good chunk of steel between them. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols