Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Nice job Iggy, but a question-

Since you have multiple jerry cans why modify one can to accept the fuel lines instead of making a fitting for the lines that would fit into the spout opening ? That way you could simply move the lines from an empty can to a full one. For the few seconds it would take to move over you wouldn't get enough air into the system to losse prime in the pump. I've seem military geenys that used this setup & I've done similar for for gas fired gensets.

Enquiring Minds Want To Know

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I have many different kinds of gas cans. It would not work.

I had a 100 gallon tank, also, but sold it.

Ignoramus10200

Or why not simply make a "gas cap" that can be transfered from tank to tank..the cap of course containing all the lines?

All it would need is a plain shank and perhaps an O-ring at the most.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

1) I have all different jerry cans, most are steel ex-military 2) I had this setup with a cap and lines (can take pictures), and hated it 3) Transferring lines means shutting down the generator, which I would like to avoid.
Reply to
Ignoramus10200

Keeping food cold, water to flush and drink, power to run furnace blower. All those things can be cycled.

You hook up power to the fridge, wait for the thermostat to kick out, turn off generator.

Pick an interval for powering generator.

Being able to watch tv and other stuff doesn't matter. Light a colemen lantern and read a book in the mean time.

Okay, charge your laptop, recharge the ups running your dsl router so you can stay connected between generator starts. Maybe charge the iPhone too.

Power off a bit too long, get your AK out.

Wes

Wes

You get desparate enough, you can stand in front of it modulating a valve. I ran a V8 engine once by pulling the metering jet out of a propane torch and feeding gas up the line to my vacuum gage. I didn't need to go far and it sure beat walking.

Wes

Wes

The last good ice storm we had before I left the frozen northeast had my generator running for 3.5 days.

Reply to
Pete C.

generator.

lantern and read a

Rationing fuel is ok if you have reason to expect a really long outage, but for the more normal day or so max it's easier to just run the generator full time and get on with your life as if there was no outage.

Reply to
Pete C.

A day tank on the generator and hydraulic quick connect fittings on the fuel lines and tanks works well with no shutdowns.

Reply to
Pete C.

generator.

This is exactly my thinking, except the AK comes out as soon as the power is out.

As long as I can buy fuel within so many miles, I will just buy fuel, but if not, I will ration the use of the generator.

I also hope that I can get my neighbors to pay for, and buy, the fuel, in exchange for a 15 amp line to them.

Ignoramus10200

Your not planning on running it non stop are you? The fuel will run out in..what 36 hours?

Blink blink.....thats not very smart..is it?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:07:16 -0500, the infamous "fran...123" scrawled the following:

Har! I was thinking the same thing. "Egad, that looks like MY welding!" Methinks Ig should do the work first, THEN have happy hour, don't you? I simply _love_ that sprayed goop in the 0025 pic!

(Ig, you've done better work. )

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

off generator.

lantern and read a

But do you know if its going to come back on in an hour, a day, a week, a month and so forth? Or is it simply "hope"?

My power was out Friday night..er..Saturday morning at 2:18 and stayed out for 10 hours.

First rain of the season did it. As it always does here in the desert. Transformers etc etc dry out in the summer and the first wet we get...poof..

It was between 5 and 15 seconds from the time the rain started to Poof! Took out about a 1/4 mile radius best as I can tell..about a 1/2 mile "square". I simply fired up a Coleman lantern..put it in the bathroom for the ol lady..and used two more and worked in my reloading shop for a few hours before going to bed.

Didnt bother firing up the genny..gas is in short supply at the moment. Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:52:33 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Couple years ago, the power went out at home. A fact I did not find out until after work - at 1 AM. Was out for four days. Most of that was no problem, power was on at school and work. And I had a gas grill on the "patio" so I could cook dinner. (Grilled Lamb chops, with honey mustard ... yum!"

But finding my way home the first night, in a hall where the emergency lights had given up hours before - was "fun".

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

How well did the fridge do?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

During a blackout, you're supposed to scale way back on the electric usage. If you try to run your toaster oven, hair dryer, and filament space heaters, you go through fuel at a rapid rate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You figure about a galon an hour? Be interesting if the OP would do an actual test, and let us know how it worked.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that home heating oil will run in diesel engines. Since you're not driving your genrator down the road, it's legal. One farmer friend of mine used to use home heating oil in the diesel engine of his farm tractor. A 275 gal tank of fuel oil might be legal in your area.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You figure to top off the gerry can while the generator is running? Sounds reasonable to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Clever! I've wondered if a vehicle could be run on a 20 pound propane tank. I'm sure it can, but I havn't the time or the need to try it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon