Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Hope you and the generator came through OK. Better than not having a generator, for sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that is clever. Very good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, next time you can always say "Well, you didn't replace the fuel last time, and now I don't have enough fuel to be able to share power. Sorry. I'm almost out."

Or, you can call them worthless leeches, and tell them to go figure out their own problem.

I've known two people who had power out, due to a decaying lead in wire. One was able to run power from a neighbor, the other was not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:58:10 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus10200 scrawled the following:

off generator.

Good idea. It regulates any possible home invasion scenario, too. Do you have night vision tool to use with it in that eventuality?

What will the gas station attendants think of the AK on the passenger seat, Ig, _especially_ in IL? BTW, is your garage door opener circuit in the generator section of the transfer switch?

Good luck with that one. They'll be blowing your breakers in no time. "Well, she just wanted to dry her hair..."

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can buy fuel at gas stations. So far, all blackouts in our area, left fuel supply mostly undisturbed. (except for a few local gas stations).

Ignoramus2298

I believe that it is slightly under 1 gallon per hour, based on interpolation of a table in the manual.

Reply to
Ignoramus2298

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, too.

Ignoramus2298

I want the whole house to be on the generator.

I do not like the idea of little transfer switches, they will not work for me.

Ignoramus2298

off generator.

lantern and read a

The places I have lived have had pretty predictable outages. With no inclement weather and outage was usually from some idiot hitting a pole and lasted a couple hours at most. With heavy rain and lightning, perhaps an 8hr run at most. With a noreaster ice storm snapping stuff left and right, a few days at most.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's good news. The 2003 ice storm in the northeast wiped out most of the gas station power.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not with a 20kW diesel generator. In most cases, running the oven, clothes dryer and all the lights in the house barely gets you to half load.

Reply to
Pete C.

This is the point of having a generator of this size, I will be able to run basically whatever I want, maybe going easy on the electric range.

Ignoramus2298

Don't worry about it. I've run just fine cooking and baking and running the oil furnace off a 5kW gas generator.

Reply to
Pete C.

"so far": is not something to depend on, you think?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Sounds like the device is over sized. Sound like a person with an oversized generator could share some power with neighbors, in exchange for them providing fuel and some cash.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm always concerned about running out of gasoline. So, I'd want to scale back the electric usage when on generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, if I cannot buy fuel, I will try to run the generator only intermittently. I do not see this as a big issue.

Ignoramus2298

This is my hope. I do not particularly want to make money from neighbors, but if I can get them to share the cost of fuel, it would be great, especially if travel is involved to get fuel.

Ignoramus2298

I just ramp up my fuel reserves.

Reply to
Pete C.

Should run just fine - #2 Distillate Fuel Oil is the same thing as #2 diesel fuel. But they usually sell you the Red Dye #2 Farm Diesel for Fuel Oil - the red signifying that you did NOT pay state or federal road taxes on the fuel. So when the CHP checks the fuel filters on the farmers' Kenworth hauling produce into town and sees the red dye in the fuel, he is busted. If it's on the highway, you have to pay the taxes.

(Boilers and Farm Tractors stay off the highways for the most part.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman