Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:18:24 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Difficult for me to do from a quarter mile away, in someone else's camp. I use low level lighting myself. I did know a guy who made shades for Aladdin lamps. Basically a lightweight wooden frame covered in parchment. Lights up your camp, but doesn't blind the neighbors.

My other grip along that line are security lights. "In town" it's not a big problem, but hauling down a country road and come round a corner, and you swear there's oncoming traffic .. but its a security light lighting up the night. Arrgh! Some kid's people!

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Sounds like a winner. Though I usually simply turn mine down. Shrug

Poor aiming of those security lights should be at minimum..a misdemeanor when they are aimed into traffic zones.

Mine all point inwards from the edges of the property. Which reminds me..I noticed earlier that I have a dead one. Ill have to pull one out of stock and replace it this weekend. 3rd one in that location in 5 yrs. Shrug...

Ill have to put up one of the GOOD ones..cringe..they were expensive when I bought them for security use.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner Asch

It would be more useful if the batteries were in the lamp instead of the solar panel. I moved them into a Radio Shack 4xAA holder slid into the back of the lamp but they go dead quickly, haven't checked why yet, and are much too fiddly to reach when the lights are out.

It does give a fair amount of light when it works. The stainless steel lantern is a more robust design, though not quite bright enough for reading.

Maybe I'll move the battery pack to the outside of the back. It has a snap-on cover with a retaining screw that isn't essential, then I could swap batteries without tools. I don't want to remove tiny screws with cold fingers and then hunt them down in the dark.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Dec 2, 9:01=A0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote: ...

I put the food in a cooler to even out temperature variations. It goes into the car at night so the animals don't mess with it. Bags of veggies keep well in the garage, potatos should be protected from daylight or they will turn green (bad) and sprout.

Snow mixed with road salt cools to around 5 - 10F and will keep frozen food solid.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So, take the tank outdoors. Gas cap off. Put a hose on the shop vac to blow, and blow fresh air into the tank until it stops smelling like gasoline. No water to end up in your gasoline later.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Supposing it had ignited? Then, what? Hospital trip to remove all the shrapnel?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Church on Thursday Dec 03?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is bullshit. It did not ignite for a reason.

The reason was that there was nothing to ignite in the tank.

The tank was full of water and contained diesel fuel before filling with water.

The volume of air remaining in the tank was under a quart. The tank had a big opening that I intentionally left open.

Ignoramus1909

That was my standard test back when I frequently welded on motorcycle fuel tanks. Clean them out well, leave them open for days if possible, then stick a torch (arm extended) into the filler hole. Often a little whoosh. Leave open during welding, occasionally an additional smaller whoosh. No big deal.

About 20 years ago I needed to weld an additional port on a 10,000 gallon surplus underground fuel tank that had very small vents compared to its surface area. Filled with water above where I was welding, and added dry ice. Welded on my fitting, then used a hole saw to bore the opening.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Iggy, let me give you a tip about Mr. Mormon. He's challenged. He top posts little short replies which are sometimes Tourette's syndrome spews. He has very little experience or skill. Just wants to post his church's URL in the sig line. And top posts every time so that it is prominent. I see you're catching on to him. Half his stuff is bullshit. 25% is intelligible. The other 25% is just ootsie cutesie responses.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Stormin Mormon" wrote: (clip) Put a hose on the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have been told that you can run a hose from a small engine exhaust into the tank. Let it run for an hour or so, which will not only displace the air and gasoline vapor, but fill the tank with CO2. It's so logical it must work. (I haven't heard from anyone who died from doing this.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:10:26 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

A question I have on Security lighting. I know there is a school of thought that wants the lights pointing "out" so as to illumine what is coming, while blinding those oncomers. In a 'tactical' environment' that makes sense, all though it is rude to the neighbors the rest of the time.. And of course, aiming the lights in, reverses the situation, you can be seen but they can't.

So, it would seem to me, that you'd want a "normal" perimeter lighting, marking the bounds and the areas to be watched, that doesn't "splash" over into oncoming traffic, the neighbors, or washing out stars from the back scatter. And then a secondary "tactical" set which illumines and fills in the 'dark spots', dazzling the intruders. Not to mention multiplying 'targets'. (Hmmm, how hard would it be to rig up a light to appear to be a rifle mounted tactical flash light, or a targeting laser, on a remote - coming out of 'left field'?)

Hmmm, laser pointers .... little red dots everywhere. Have to watch out for feline banzai charges.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Thu, 3 Dec 2009

08:46:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Dec 02, Wednesday. Evening prayer service.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Like the time my supervising engineer wanted to put a high output airport approach strobe beacon in the median of a four lane freeway. Can you imagine this thing being remotely activated on a foggy night? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That does look like a good choice, a lot of light for the buck.

My constant pocket carry is this one:

$52 for a flashlight might seem like a lot, but mine owes me nothing. I've had it in my pocket constantly for at least 3 years.

CY: Glad you got your use out of it.

I like it because it's so small and because it has several levels of brightness/battery life.

CY: The several levels must be useful.

Min brightness is still quite sufficient for most tasks like walking in the dark, reading a map, looking for a small part dropped on the shop floor, or seeing the graduations to set the compound angle on my lathe.

CY: I can imagine that being good, for close up.

Max brightness is sufficient for reading housenumbers from the street, finding the dock at night, or seeing what made that loud noise. I use it several times every day.

CY: Havn't kept track, but I'm sure I use my mini mag a couple times a day.

A battery typically lasts a couple of months. Brightness at any level is constant throughout the life of the battery. I buy CR123 batteries by the dozen so they're not significantly more expensive than a pair of AA's -- and at 6 or so per year it's not an issue.

CY: Sounds like you get your value out of the slight extra cost.

I would find the length of a 2AA light to be onerous to carry routinely.

CY: Doesn't bother me, actually. But people have different needs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That does sound miserable. Wish things could have been better for you. Have you got some good storage food and water at home, now?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, you know full well nothing will ignite, and you stick your torch in to see if anything will ignite. Quoting:

For extra safety, before welding, I stuck a propane torch into the opening, and nothing ignited.

i End quote.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

While keeping my face well away from the tank, something I could not do while welding.

It did not ignite, for a reason that was obvious prior to trying the torch. The reason was that there was nothing to ignite.

Ignoramus1909

True, true. I have yet to hear from a dead comrade commenting on the circumstances of the accident.

steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve, you know, I try not to get into personal stuff, but I think that there is a bit of knee jerk reaction when people mention "welding" and "fuel tank" in the same sentence. But the key here is that the tank I had, was full of water that displaced almost all air.

I would agree in general that welding on tanks requires very careful consideration.

Ignoramus1909