Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

And the raw grit to make it work. I've heard in some poor countries, two kids will run a vehicle. One sits on top and siphons gas out of a gascan, into the throat of the carb. Or into the air intake, for fuel injected. Other kid pedals and steers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What were some of the techniques you used? And what was the weather during this six days?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't lack flashlights, but have tried to learn to function at night without them, and use small ones if any to walk around outside because they don't hurt my night vision.

CY: Outside, it's very often easier to walk with just the natural light. Indoors, it's often pitch black.

Some of the solar night lights come apart easily to use as flashlights that last for hours. They should have on/off switches and easily replaced batteries, mine use AA NiCads.

replaced the screws that hold the top on with studs and thumb nuts so I can take it apart to change batteries when the lights are off, we don't always get enough sun to recharge them in the winter. The light isn't nearly as bright as the photo shows but it's enough to walk around.

CY: That's useful. I'd like to buy one of these, but can't really justify the money.

like the combination solar charger, and pull string fluorescent would be useful.

Does "Young" imply actual descent from Brigham or is it like "Singh"?

CY: We know of no relationship. Be nice if there were, but none found.

jsw

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Dec 2, 11:00=A0pm, Ignoramus24315

The weather was cold, but the roads were driveable after a day or so. We were one of the last places to get power restored. Could have gotten water from the pond, but it was easier to fill up some 5 gallon plastic containers ( washed out industrial xray photo fixer containers ) and haul water for cooking and brushing teeth. Used pond water for flushing toilet. Had wood stove for heat. Outdoors for refrigeration, Aladdin lamps for light, battery powered radio for music, and Coleman propane campstove.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"Ignoramus10998" wrote(clip) The jerry can did not explode, as I filled it with water almost to the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I did that once with a Harley tank. It had some small cracks around the fuel valve on the bottom, so I filled it with water and placed it on my bench, bottom up, and started to weld, Unnoticed by me was a tiny stream of water coming out the gas cap vent hole, so the water level was slowly dropping. I was also oblivious to the fact that gasoline was collecting on the surface of the water, just below where I was welding. When it blew, the cap came off, followed by a stream of water something like a fire hose in action. The tank didn't rupture, but I got really wet.

In order to finish the job, I put the tank, full of water, in a 55 gal drum, also full of water, with only the part I was welding above the surface. That worked. Live and learn.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

So far.

But Ill bet you didnt know how long it would be (6 days) without power..and Iggy has indicated he simply fires up his genny expecting it to be all better in just a few hours.

And what does he do when it turns into 6 days?

Just use some intelligent thought when facing a situation you dont KNOW how long it will last.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Risk of having too much fuel? You store yours in apple cider glass jars?

Blink blink....blink?

Which stockpiles are hampering me? And it certainly didnt hamper me when the Coalinga earthquake hit..and took out the power..and dropped my house 3 feet to the ground. Along with the vast majority of all the other buildings in town.

I kept my family..and 11 other families fed, watered, sheltered and secure for 17 days.

Detrimental to life eh?

Chuckle.

And gee..we had never had a bad earthquake before that period. Ooops.

Funny how the unexpected bit 800 families in the ass that morning.

Shrug...do as you wish Iggy. Nothing I can say will force you to do anything.

Just do some serious thinking before "so far" happens.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Scary stuff. In my case, the gas can did not leak, and held diesel fuel.

For extra safety, before welding, I stuck a propane torch into the opening, and nothing ignited.

Ignoramus24315

Thats really good planning. And the last time they were fired up to check the generator and the pumps was when?

Chuckle....and how much fuel do you have? Shelf life of Coleman fuel (and its clones) is in generations...it simply doesnt go bad. Ive got a half gallon can that is at least..at least....30 yrs old. Still works fine.

A gallon of fuel at Wally world is bout $5-8 dollars and will run a stove for at least a month, cooking 2 times a day.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:20:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Up till last summer, those stoves were in storage, with most everything else. And for most of the years before then, I lived in the city. The one is propane, and I've the adaptors for the bulk tanks. I need to find the other one and check it out. My big "score" was two (more) Son Of Hibachis. Their claim to fame is the ease with which they can get the charcoal going. I've even gotten charcoal that had been out in the garage over the winter (and was thus a bit damp) to light off. And they work real well as braziers for heating a space.

But I need to get on the preparations.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Jim Wilkins on or about Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:38:52 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Hadn't thought of that.

I'm with you on using the least necessary amount of "light". One think I despise are Coleman lamps at camp sights, blazing away, and lighting up everything. That's not the problem - it is that the light kills my night vision a half mile away. Arggh.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Wed, 2 Dec 2009

19:32:52 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

As long as there is some light available. Nothing like trying to walk up a single lane dirt road, in the woods. One of those places where you can see the sky by looking straight up. Dark, it was. Followed the edge, feeling for the gravel with the right foot, and the dirt with the left. Longest 200 yards I've ever walked.

pyotr filipivich

For the latter -- lubricate it with Vaseline, and replace the O-ring every so often.

Sounds nice!

Never been to a Walmart. I like to patronize the small stores which Walmart seems to be working on putting out of business.

Kind of like the Zayres radio commercials which drove me nuts, so I promised to never patronize their stores. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

There were no open stores in a county with a population of over

300,000 people. Ice & bottled water was being trucked in, along with some MREs. Most of the time the stations gave the wrong time or locations for the trucks. I did get some ice and bottled water, but I lived on peanut butter & crackers, Spam, and cold canned vegetables for three weeks. It played hell with my blood sugar.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No kidding. They had to bering crews from 15 states after the last hurricane, and it took over a month to restore power to all homes, and another year to replace most of the damaged poles that didn't fall. The last damaged pole near her was replaced a few weeks ago. ice storms can snap lines from the extra weight. There is no way in hell they can be repaired in a few days. They had six inches of snow in SE Alabama in the '72/'73 winter season that took out a major power line, leaving people without power for up to three weeks. It was the main feeder for the entire area from a new power plant. Ft Rucker was on a different feed, and wasn't affected.

Iggy thinks he knows everything, and that is a good way to kill yourself. Anyone who thinks that stockpiling a month worth of food is 'wasted' is a fool. In fact, with food prices always creeping up you save money by buying at today's prices instead of next month. It also allows you to take advantage of sales and special purchases. I shave about 25% off my food costs that way. Let him find out the hard way, then the city can sell off all his toys for pennies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If it had, your wife would be planning your funeral.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That does look like a good choice, a lot of light for the buck.

My constant pocket carry is this one:

$52 for a flashlight might seem like a lot, but mine owes me nothing. I've had it in my pocket constantly for at least 3 years.

I like it because it's so small and because it has several levels of brightness/battery life. Min brightness is still quite sufficient for most tasks like walking in the dark, reading a map, looking for a small part dropped on the shop floor, or seeing the graduations to set the compound angle on my lathe. Max brightness is sufficient for reading housenumbers from the street, finding the dock at night, or seeing what made that loud noise. I use it several times every day. A battery typically lasts a couple of months. Brightness at any level is constant throughout the life of the battery. I buy CR123 batteries by the dozen so they're not significantly more expensive than a pair of AA's -- and at 6 or so per year it's not an issue.

I would find the length of a 2AA light to be onerous to carry routinely.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Indeed. And bear in mind..that hibachis are the MOST CO malignant devices ever developed by man, including the Edsel.

They put out a deadly deadly cloud of the stuff..so ALWAYS cook outdoors with them. Even in the snow.

Shrug

As for propane vrs liquid fuel stoves and lanterns...a propane device is limited to whatever you have in the tank.

A liquid fuel device is limited to whatever you can syphon out of a gas tank after your proper liquid fuel is gone.

Something to consider...shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Thats why they all..all have valves on them that allow you to turn the light from BRIGHT all the way down to DIM..which also saves fuel.

Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:16:25 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I have a small wood stove, but adding it to this place presents ... "opportunities". (I have plans for a "thermal mass stove", but adding a ton of rock inside a manufactured home -- not a good idea.)

I'm considering. It was 26 degrees when I left church tonight. Cold enough for me... and a clear night, too.

pyotr filipivich