Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Shrug...yet you think you will be uneffected if it lets go?

Just how far ranging was the effect, compared to a quake of similar Richter on the West Coast?

Earthquakes in the central or eastern United States affect much larger areas than earthquakes of similar magnitude in the western United States. For example, the San Francisco, California, earthquake of 1906 (magnitude 7.8) was felt 350 miles away in the middle of Nevada, whereas the New Madrid earthquake of December 1811 (magnitude 8.0) rang church bells in Boston, Massachusetts, 1,000 miles away. Differences in geology east and west of the Rocky Mountains cause this strong contrast. [And more recently] earthquakes of similar magnitude-the 1895 Charleston, Missouri, earthquake in the New Madrid seismic zone and the 1994 Northridge, California, earthquake, [showed similar effects].
The [quake] in 1968, centered in southeastern Illinois near the confluence of the Tennessee and Ohio rivers, caused moderate damage, but it was felt across 23 states -- as far as the Carolinas -- and into Canada.

For the New Madrid disaster, affecting cities from Houston to St. Louis to Kansas City to Memphis to Cincinnati to Chicago and parts in between, the number of people left suddenly homeless will be immense, compared to New Orleans. These cities are not quake proofed, as is the norm on the West Coast. Lets look at the New Orleans disaster for a preview of what to expect, insofar as rescue attempts.

Shrug...I hope you are right.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

you ...you...you dont have a Coleman stove or equivelant????

Blink blink...blink....Really?

Even when one can pick one up a the second hand stores for $9 in perfect running condition?????

Gunner, who has 11 of them. (trading stock)

Gunner Asch

I think that I will be unaffected, yes. Maybe some broken dishes, if that.

Ignoramus11104
[ ... ]

With the disadvantage that you no longer have the color indication of a low battery, so you may suddenly have it fully die with no warning. :-) At least incandescents show the voltage in light color.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The county EMC is supposed to have about a dozen trailer mounted generators to take to different stations if needed. They will be maintained for other uses, as well. That will defray the operating and maintenance costs. For instance, every pumping station for the waste treatment system already has the connectors, to allow the county to connect a generator in case of a long term power outage. The county has a few fuel tanker trucks, and it wouldn't be that hard to mount a generator on them to power the pumps at a gas station.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually, I had great radio reception after the hurricanes. The noise from old HV power lines and crappy switching power supplies was gone for about three weeks. I picked up AM stations from all over the country at night, and the BBC world service during the daytime. The local stations that were still on the air carried no news. Either bad music, or talk radio. Nothing you needed to hear while looking for ice, food or water.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So, fire & brimstone are good enough for you? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:08:06 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

Oops!

bspdfosnflsn;

Hey, I pick mine up like I used to do with a good brandy snifter. And they're not slippery like that.

Someone mentioned candles in glass jars. Those are great, and you get the neat pictures of LaIglesiaDeLosVatosFriosConAguayMescalViaLaArmadasEspañolDeLaReinaSusanna, free!

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cool! Then make sure you are stocked up on paper plates and you are good to go.

Never mind that pesky power failure state wide for weeks or months..you can drive your car down the road to a non working gas station and not get another 36 hours of fuel.

Good on you laddy!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:52:34 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gesundheit!

I've a few of those too. Only without the picture.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell" on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:48:12

-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool. Out in my neck of the woods (twenty miles north of Everett WA), I can't get the local stations, but I can pull in the Calgary Station (Classic Country) , and KSER Sacramento, and the Oldies station in Portland (Ore). Way back in my youth, in Tucson, I'm looking for radio stations about two in the morning. Realize "That's WABC - New York!" Yeah. To bad I couldn't get WOR - and Jean Shepard - like I had when I lived in Boston.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "DoN. Nichols" on or about 2 Dec 2009 04:07:16 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Mine just seems to be "not as bright" as I thought it should be. I recall using mine for a couple weeks of "dim light" - and then replaced the battery "Oh look - colors!"

YMMV.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009

18:56:41 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Get the LED replacement kit. You still need the replacement batteries, but not as often. My grip with mini-mags is that twist to turn on - sometimes it will slowly twist open, and you'll notice it when you hang your pants up at night, or otherwise look where the light is.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell" on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:50:09

-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

LOL.

A little too much light, and not necessarily directed where _you_ need it, if you know what I mean.

pyotr filipivich

Please do some internet research. Compare Teralux module, versus the LED replacement kits. Let me know what you find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have several set of NiMH cells, and try to remember to rotate them from the charger to the mini mag, and my digital camera (which takes two AA cells).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What would you like to heard instead? Location of open stores with ice, food, and water?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nothing like having a bunch of dead Spaniards praying for you? I've never seen the appeal, there. I remelt candles in spaghetti and other glass jars. Less likely to cause unwanted fire. light with Aim N Flame.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You cannot live life without taking chances. There is a big cost to stockpiling an excessive amount of crap in preparation to an event that will nost likely never come. I have covered 99% of all eventualities, and am prepared to suffer a bit in the other 1%, by stretching fuel over more days.

Ignoramus24315

Not if the company in question has the proper trucks and trained crews.

Reply to
Pete C.