Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

Indeed. And I have those, but they are not hooked to the IR sensor lamps. Those are strictly normal lighting..now florescent that illuminates the grounds and entries. Ive got 200 watt quartz Floods mounted on the eves and other locations ..pointed out. that do a very very good job of supplying tactical lighting.

Most of my normal security lighting is across wide spaces, rather than aimed at the house..or the street. And as I generally use floresent bulbs, the lighting isnt High Noon on the Equator.

Good thinking. Echos my setup.

(Hmmm, how hard would it be to

The problem..is appearance of movement. Thats much harder to do and can be complicated. If your laser simply points to one location and never quivers...pretty soon the viewer understands the issue.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
[ ... ]

Do you remember the old photographic flash bulbs? They may not reach the same peak brightness as an electronic flash, but they burn a lot longer, so the effect on your night vision is a lot greater (along with the blue blobs floating where the bulb was in your field of vue when it went off. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have a Coleman stove that I made a multi-fuel.

I normally burn propane in it with my optional addition. I have the 'white' gas or Coleman fuel (white gas) tank as well. Common non-lead is white gas. The additives is what I try to avoid by using store cans and propane.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Let the Record show that Gerald Miller on or about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:03:28 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gack!

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:45:45 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The laser pointers are the easy part. It's getting the quiver and the random sweeps which is the tricky part. ... Hmmm.

I saw one earlier using a paint ball gun...

pyotr filipivich

Indeed. Coleman fuel is 100% pure Naptha, which has just about zero impurities in it. Unleaded will work..but over time, will crud up the guts of the devices "generator". Generators are from $7-18 each..so one should always try to use Coleman fuel..or its generics. However..in a worst case scenario..Unleaded gasoline will work for a decent amount of time, particularly if its used over a period of weeks, daily. The various crap in Unleaded tends to become varnish if allowed to dry out in the generators. I get good life out of them, by running unleaded a couple tankfuls..then immediately fill up with the proper fuel, and run it for 10 minutes..or as long as necessary, and after that tank is expended, refilling with unleaded. If Im going to put the device away into storage...it gets dumped, refilled with Coleman fuel (or its generic) and run for 10 minutes then put away. Ive got devices that have had many many gallons of unleaded run through them, but have the original generator still functioning in this fashion.

Propane stoves can..can be run on natural gas if there is a source..but the flame will be odd and at times very hot. So dont run em for long periods of time if bootlegged into a natural gas source.

Btw..as I live in the oil fields.."drip gas" is available if you know where the drains are... and will work satisfactorily if necessary.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And when gently cracked and then placed in or above above a container of a flammable substance..make very nice and very positive ignitors.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I found the strobe effective for getting attention of teenaged dragsters and lawn wreckers when I lived on a corner lot. Lots of great candid photos, too. You talk about the stoopid look, I got 'em.

One kid slammed on the brakes and stopped, glaring at me, at which point I'd worked the film advance and popped him again. He finally figured it out, and burned it out of there, never to return.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Hmm ... *that* I didn't know.

But did you know that if you placed one or more flashbulbs in contact with the one which you are about to fire, those will go off at the same time (or at least close enough so you could not tell the difference without a scope and a photovoltaic sensor. :-)

And -- if you got them close enough to radar (e.g. at an airport) they were likely to go off as the radar beam scanned past? A good thing to wrap your spares in aluminum foil if you were going to be closer to the radar antenna than the typical passenger.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The stove I have in the shop to heat chemicals for plating or green rusting :-) is over 55 years old. I think more like 60 or thereabouts. I remember Dad replacing the leather in the pump once. Since I took it into my hands, it had run on propane except for the first year or two. I suspect I'll have to oil the leather flapper and hope for it to work or replace it once again. That reminds me, I'll have to find some Coleman fuel to have in the shop.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

At least a 30 day supply of water & canned goods right now. Hurricane season is over, so it's time to start rotating the stock over the winter. I picked up a bunch of wood to build a new pantry so I'll put the new stock in it, and use up what's on hand over the next three to four months. I keep a 30 day supply of all my medicine, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Living in the North, I've never been there during hurricane season. You sound much better prepared than many people. Which should make your life a lot more comfortable during and after hurricanes.

In New York, crippling snow storms and ice storms are what affects us. The preps are much the same. Water, food, medicine. The difference is that we need emergency heat, instead of ice and AC.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:38:52 -0500, the infamous "Steve W." scrawled the following:

I don't know what the run time or lumen output is on these, but I found it an extremely nice light for the price. 3 AA, 4 LEDs, nice bright blue-white color in a good, tight beam pattern, pushbutton switch on the rear for one-handed operation. They're not spotlights, but they're just handy flashlights to have around.

I have these headlamps stashed all around the house, shop, and truck for most of my flashlight use. It leaves both hands free. They use bulbs, not LEDs, but they work well and are cheap, $3 on sale. 2 AA, fairly waterproof with rubber end covers.
I also have a high-output flashlight using two CR-123 lithiums for _bright_ light when I need it. It has momentary + twist-on switching.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:16:59 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

Pete, please plonk him as the rest of us have. We don't want to see his shit, and if you plonk him, you won't be quoting it. Thanks.

-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Indeed -- given a supply of old unused flashbulbs. (Though I've recently discovered that they are still made for a niche market -- caver photographers who need a *lot* of light for their photos.

Magnesium or sometimes very fine aluminum foil or wire -- but in a pure oxygen atmosphere. So the intense illumination gets the wires hot enough to start to burn in that pure oxygen atmosphere.

I suspect that a laser could set them off remotely, too.

I'm not sure whether the ones which appeared to be two stiff wires with one very fine wire coupling them, and everything dipped in a silver-colored goop and allowed to dry. I *think* that these may have been the FP lamps -- fast illumination increase to a certain point, then a wide plateau, and then a decrease back to dark. These were used with focal plane shutters, which at higher shutter speeds don't expose the entire frame at once, and electronic flash shows an incomplete image, while normal bulbs will show a rise of brightness followed by a fall-off as the shutter traverses the film -- horizontally in most cameras with focal-plane shutters, vertically in a few.

Since the goop is connected thermally to the stiff wire, the spread of burning will be slower than it is with the bulb full of fine wire in oxygen.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I recall that the metal is zirconium.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

[ ... ]

Hmm ... I've still got a pack of No. 5 ones by GE which are the sparse Brillo in a bulb, and those are for normal between-the-lens shutters.

But then, the other set, No. 5A (SM -- Speed Midget) ones are of the two stiff wires and the fine cross wire which have been dipped, and they are also for BTL shutters, not focal plane. But the dip goop in these is black, not the silver which I remember, so who knows. I wish I had some explicitly marked for Focal Plane use to examine.

Been there -- got the demerits for using them. (There was no way to hide who it was who did it -- but I won a bet doing it.

That was the most demerits I ever got at one time -- but it was worth it. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Right now I'm trying to make the place more handicapped accessible. Adding a couple new exterior doors and some ramps.

I grew up in Ohio, and lived in Alaska for a year. I know about cold. I walked to work in -40 degree weather more than I care to remember. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

:

They figured me out and wouldn't sell me flashbulbs, but a pinch of fine steel wool in the sockets does the job.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

How far would 10 pounds of 0000 go? :)

Reply to