Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

It is basically very far from me.

Ignoramus11104

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:35:11 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

Eek, not worth it to me. Pass. ;)

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009

08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"You know you're 'over prepared' when the power goes out, and it is a while before you notice. Say, when the sheriff comes by checking on folks. Or when you go in to town for Super Saturday (first Saturday of the month is a sale at the hardware store.). Or you can't pick up any radio stations ...

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009

08:49:54 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I learned my lesson about candles and inappropriate "holders" thirty years ago, Thanksgiving. Left a "candle going". In a wooden box. Wax, wicks and wood really burn quite well. Lost my model airplanes, radio, and most everything in the closet due to smoke and heat. A "small, modest" fire.

A lot of people will drag out the candles in a black out, and have no experience with them, other than "mood lighting" at the dinner table. I have bought several old fashioned candle stands, the sort with the handle. Light the candles for evening prayers, extinguish all but one, take it back to the bedroom, where it has its place, and finish getting ready for bed. Same sort of thing goes for the decorative glass oil lamps. No way to carry them which doesn't involve picking up a round thing which may be slick with oil.

As we used to say in Naval Architecture Class: Plan Ahead, you will need one someday.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 02:55:26 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"My Bonny leaned over the gas can The height of its contents to see I lighted a match to assist her Oh bring back my Bonny to me!"

pyotr filipivich

I didn't think of that till later.

After the battery in the phone went dead.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Stormin Mormon" on or about Tue, 1 Dec 2009

08:50:46 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Head lamps in the toolbox. Because while they did finally fix the lighting, it still was position that tools were in the shadow of the spindle.

And with the LEDs, you can not worry about the batteries going flat as fast.

I had a pair of clip on ones, which I clipped on the brim of my hat. One to each side. I came around the corner outside, and Luise zigged the fork lift. "Wah! something's coming this way!" was what he told me, later. I just thought it was cool being able to see.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 02:45:45 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

As the man said as he fell past the tenth floor "So far, so good!"

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:31:57 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Without power, I couldn't cook (electric stove), so why get the eggs and milk out? Stuck to granola and jougurht. SOP for years now.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Sounds like a plan, to me. I use my mini-mag daily, and even on Sundays. I carry it every day. Each morning, I try to remember to swap the batteries with a pair from the NiMH charger. So far, it's been good to me. Teralux module works well, also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try Mormons, no candles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One of my ball hats, I taped a Photon squeeze light, and then stapled the tape. The squeeze light has a hold-on switch, which works fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know of folks who live off the power grid. And literally don't notice the power cut until someone mentions it to them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do believe you are right. I have no evidence one way or the other. But, I'd dare to guess that most candle fires are people who have never really used candles, and not given any attention to making or buying safe brackets and holders.

In my trailer, I have a couple "cup hooks" in the ceiling, which can be used to hang a battery lantern, or a railroad style oil lamp. In the back corner by the bedroom, I have a metal pan for holding candles. (Used to be a 9 x 9 cake pan. Two sides turned up. Sides punched, and then screwed to the inside corner by the bathroom and bedroom.) It's relatively sturdy place to set a candle, very low risk of endangering anything.

I've taken to remelting candles, as a hobby. Lately, I do try to make them in glass jars, which might be safer than tapers or pillars.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A couple of suggestions. One is some sort of camp stove. They are not expensive. And in my case necessary. My wife drinks tea so a way to boil water is not a luxury, it is a necessity. With a way to boil water, no complaints.

The other thing is a suggestion to go by Target and look at their flashlighs. They sell a LED flashlight that uses two D cells. If a LED flashlight uses three batteries, then there is a very good chance that they just use a resistor to keep the current from being too high and burning out the LED's. But with only two batteries, they have to have a IC to boost the voltage up. Which also means the flashlight is probably more economic as far as battery cost. Anyway the flashlight will operate for 100 hours on two alkaline D cells. And the cost of the flashlight is about $10.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

There was a proposal that all new gas stations (And ones that have any major renovations) have a standard connector & transfer switch to allow a portable generator be brought in to pump out the tanks and operate a few lights. The big problem with generators at every station is 'Who is going to maintain them'? Most gasoline is sold by convenience stores around here. Do you expect a barely literate, pimple faced kid to do the required work? They can't even keep the coolers & AC working in a lot of places.

By requiring a sub panel for the pumps and selected lights, it is a simple manual switchover when the generator is brought in.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A lot of telecom facilities operate the same way with and outside generator connection and transfer switch vs. permanent generator. It avoids a lot of permitting and tax hassles from a fixed installation, allows a smaller pool of towable generators to handle the emergencies and allows those generators to be maintained and serviced in a central location.

Reply to
Pete C.

Someday, please consider investing in a camping stove, and a couple bottles of propane. Very handy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's an interesting idea. Portable generator with roto lock connector or something? Know what you mean about the store operators. Many of them don't appear to be mechanically minded. Who will buy and maintain all the generators for occasional use?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that's a total nightmare during ice storm, when the roads are ice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon