Power steering experience

Had a work truck once. The power steering was leaking. I had a can of something other....... brake fluid, tranny fluid, probably. I just wanted it to make the day, and then I'd change it.

I put the fluid in there, and the leaks stopped immediately. Any idea of what it was? Anyone have a similar experience?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There are several "Mechanic in a Can" solutions that contain various solvents to swell the seals and make it stop leaking - for a while.

Problem is, when it starts leaking again it's going to be even worse. Stop using it and the seals stop swelling, it'll be a gusher.

They are a last-ditch solution to get through the week and gather all the pieces, and then you can rebuild the power steering system. Or for transmissions, till you can save up the money to go get it rebuilt properly, and hope it holds that long.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

And SOMETIMES they last longer than the vehicle they are in, so you never need to do the proper repair.

Reply to
clare

just curious, does this stuff make a future correct repair more expensive, like with the goo in a can for flat tires?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

No. There are some real GOOD products out there for oil and hydraulic leakage from seals. And some not so good. But neither will make the repair harder down the line.

Reply to
clare