'Puter gloat

Snagged a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, like new, Vista Home, 2gig DC proccessor, 3gig ram, for 75 Quatloos. God, Vista is so dumbed down, had none of the nuts-and-bolts functionality of 2000 or ME. Found I could implement the sceen and menu format to Win 2K style. MUCH better. JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

The various Home versions are really castrated, I haven't successfully put one on my home network yet so it can see my other boxes. Always have upgraded to the Pros(have MSDN) so I've got policies to turn stuff off that I want to turn off and some networking tools. Not worth wasting my time scrimping and patching the Home versions. Have gotten stuck with Vista at work, my laptop with XP Pro can boot up in half the time and it's got about a third of the CPU power. At least you've got enough RAM to run Vista semi-decently. You might see if Dell has a cheap upgrade to 7. They're already EOLing plain Vista with no SPs. You did get a deal on the hardware.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I threw away a similar computer - couldn't sell it for $15

Reply to
Bill Noble

Blink blink...you get anothe rlaptop like that..drop me an email..and Ill come and get it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On XP, C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll. Haven't messed with 7 enough yet, too many outdoor projects.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins