Removing srewed up lug nut (Not stud)

I have a 90 mustang that came from the factory with wheel locks. My tool to remove tham does not work anymore. basicaly they are round with a design on fronmt of them that a special tool contacts to remove the lug.

I got the first two off my using a torch and cutting them in half to expose the stud, sprating wd40 on the end of the stud, and making several attempts at twisting off with vice grips. When I went to the rear wheel I inadvertantly cut more of the bolt off (Still missed the stud though). I have tried twisting with vice grips but the vice grips slip. (Maybe not enough surface for the grips to access)?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Don

Weld a nut onto the end. I did this once. Just a quick tack weld or two will do it. Lane

Reply to
Lane

I had the same problem just last week. What I did was weld a larger bolt to the existing nut and then just turn it out. I used a 5/8 " bolt about 3" long. The larger bolt gives you more to work with and a good size head to get a wrench on. When welding the threaded end to the nut use a direct ground and protect the wheel from weld splatters with something like grease, sheet metal or welding gloves. Al

Reply to
Al 2

Put a paste of Comet cleaning powder on the vise grip jaws.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Sharpen the jaws of the vice grips or put some clover compound on the jaws.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Call around to your local wrecker services and body shops. An impact socket is made just for this purpose. Think of a female "ease out" socket. They work great without taking a chance on messing up your wheels.

Reply to
JSR

OK to elaborate more a quick web search for "emergency wheel lock remover" will show you the socket. It cost about $30.00. We have a local body shop that I have borrowed a socket from before. Call the tire stores too. Someone will have one.

Reply to
JSR

All of the above will work, I have also taken a grinder and grinding two sides parallel and flat, then putting vise grips on it. Worked on all 4 wheels. I had lost the lock hub a long time ago. This is on a ford with the same round nuts...good luck

Reply to
KD