TIR

I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for. Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Reply to
Richard Wooley

I have a very basic question for the list. In describing the runout for a chuck I have seen the letters TIR along with the runout value. I know this is talking about the runout but I was just curious what TIR stands for. Total Included Runout or Total Indicated Runout were the guesses we have come up with. Thanks for any replies on this. Rich W.

Reply to
Richard Wooley

Where I work, I was told it stood for 'Total Indicator Reading'. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

It depends upon the application and your local conventions. For most of industry, it's "total indicated runout." That's the difference between the lowest and the highest dimensional values for a cylindrical part, measured all around its periphery, from center. It's also the same thing as "total indicated roundness," which is a corruption of "total indicated runout."

It's sometimes interpreted as "total indicator reading." This is a vague sort of definition. On cylindrical parts, it means about the same thing as above. On flat parts, it depends on what the guy who says it thinks he means by the expression. I've seen it used to mean the same thing as Rt ("R-sub-t," or total surface roughness), which is the dimension from the lowest valley to the highest peak over a given span of a part).

In the literature, it usually means "total indicated runout."

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Thanks for the responses to my question. Rich W.

Reply to
Richard Wooley

ANSI Y14.5, "Dimensioning and Tolerancing" agrees.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Big gold star, as either definition works find.

Two ways to measure runout..

  1. How far out from center axis does the item vary. This as an example, is measured from a fixed point away from the axis
  2. How far does the item varies in total. If you measured a bend, spinning, and it had .01 bend in it. it would measure .01 runout, but if you measured TIR, it would actually run out .02, as its covering that much territory as it spins. Often measureing a single point on a bent item will not give you a true indication, as it may be bent in more than one point..the end may be dead nuts, but the middle may be out .5 as an example.

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

total indicator reading

Reply to
Wwj2110

This is how I've seen it used.

Basically this is the equivalent of "peak to peak" value when reading an electrical waveform - the largest large value, minus the smallest small value, that you see over some time.

Then there are various others like peak value, rms value, average value, etc. Most of them have analogs in the mechanical world as well.

But TIR means, what's the worst case scenario - what's the largest movement one can see?

Jim

jim rozen

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:38:35 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich scribed:

All pretty much the same. Difference between Max and Min... So if you have +10 mils, -5 mils, the TIR reading is 5 mils... If you indicate

-15 mils to -20 mils the TIR is 5 mils.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Fowler

In the first example, you mean 15 TIR, don't you?

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

On 31 Oct 2003 20:05:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JMartin957) scribed:

Yes... My bad ;-)

Fred

Reply to
Fred Fowler

As it was where I worked when I broke into the trade.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

TIR Total Indicator Reading HTH