Replacement sight glass

I sold a customer this hoist, and, unfortunately, upon delivery the sight glass was broken.
Here are some pictures:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Sight-Glass/
He says that it is a round glass with a little groove for a o-ring.
My question is, where can I buy him a replacement glass, any idea? McMaster seems to have complete assemblies only?
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 6:59:32 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus31353 wrote:

I would try looking in the yellow pages for places that sell glass for windows. Not that I think they would have any sight glasses, but they are likely to know who does.
Dan
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 05:59:30 -0500, Ignoramus31353

Try the manufacturer of the hoist, or better yet, go to the class source,Swift Glass, Corning New york - contact 131 W. 22nd Street,
sight glass - give them the diameter and thickness and I'm sure they can fix you up. They carry Corning, Schott, Pilkington, Maxos, etc.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:20:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've purchased several glass rounds from McMaster.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:24:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This is not my area, but it looks like something that wants some strong glass -- tempered, or, better yet, borosilicate, as Clare said.
And jeez, Iggy, teach someone how to do a proper job with Teflon tape. That one looks like a gob of spit. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:22:45 -0400, Ed Huntress

I assumed it was an unpressurized reservoir, and the main risk of breakage is rough handling... I'd have replaced it with plexi in 1/1000 of the time this thread will take. :)
Anyway, I just checked, McMaster has both borosilicate and quartz in small sizes. I replaced a similar sight glass years ago by hand grinding some scrap window glass on one of little stained glass shaping thingies.

I was thinking Coyote "Engineering."
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:38:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yeah, it looks like an unpressurized reservoir, but one that lives in a rough environment.

Applied by an actual coyote. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On 4/28/2016 11:22 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Since we're giving Iggy thread advice, let me add this: I sometimes have a taped joint leak. I never have a leak on a joint where I've used "paste" sealant. With PTFE or Teflon.
Bob
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:00:15 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

+2 on that. and the paste won't jam up a valve either.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:38:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+3. Some people say to use both, but I'm a 'paste only' kinda guy.
--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau

I sold that hoist, I did not make it or set it up.
Teflon tape works great for me.
So does the goop paste.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:00:15 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

Years ago I added larger diameter gas pipe in our house. I asked what sealant to use on the black iron pipe and was told to use the yellow teflon tape. EVERY joint leaked. By the time I got to testing for leaks the next day a bunch of the pipe had been framed in because we were remodeling part of the house at the same time. So I had to unscrew pipe that obstructed by all sorts of framing. GRRR. I then called the gas people and they said "Rector Seal". No leaks with that stuff. Kinda goopy but seals way better on crappy black iron pipe threads. Eric

#5? I'm about done with a little jug of Weld-On White Seal + (non-hardening with PTFE) and will probably get Rectorseal next time. WhiteSeal+ was the best at the plumbing shop a decade ago. They also carried Oatey.
--
Education is that which remains when one has
forgotten everything he learned in school.
On 28/04/16 22:00, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I've seen plenty of paste sealant joints leak whether done by myself or professional gas fitters on various pressure systems including low 37mBar systems. They should always be checked.

Teflon IS PTFE.

Of course they should be checked, that's how I knew every joint I made with teflon tape on that crappy black iron pipe leaked, and how I knew none leaked when I remade them with the paste. Only a fool would assemble a joint that's supposed to be leak free and not test it.
Eric
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 09:55:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

How many layers did you put on? As the size of the pipe increases, you need more layers. With 1-inch pipe, I use three layers.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:28:12 -0400, Ed Huntress

3 layers. The guy at the store selling the pipe said that would do it. I asked because the threads were so shitty. They were very sharp and torn, like they were cut with a dull die set. I think the sharpness just cut through the tape. Whatever the reason the goop is all I have used since and I have had zero leaks since. With brass and bronze and stainless fittings I have never had problems using tape, but the black iron pipe sold around here for gas service sucks. The threads always look like crap. Eric
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:26:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Yeah, I've had some pipe like that, both water pipe and gas pipe. The water pipe is taken care of now -- I'm all-plastic except for some ancient cast iron waste pipe -- but I had some that tore the heck out of tape. On those, I used one of the pasty goos.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:26:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

With brass and bronze they often seal perfectly with nothing.