Rifling machine plans

I brought up the subject of what enables or hinders progress because we are in a golden age right now, and an envious element who hasn't learned how to participate constructively and politicians who seek a larger power base of Miserati whom they can falsely promise to help by punitively taxing success are trying to destroy it.
"We're in a Golden Age, but can only see darkness ahead."
Jim Wilkins
Cool.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
The USA had comparably talented inventors but they didn't work together.
Jim Wilkins
Wow, so much loss for these poor guys! Then fame for Fulton rather than Fitch. That sucks. But we did have some very talented people in the USA.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Larry Jaques snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Sat, 23 Nov 2019 21:37:54 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
History is full of guy A inventing / discovering something "first" but guy B is the one who got the publicity. E.G., it is called "America" because the map maker called it after Americo Vespucci, for various reasons.
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
It's often A, B, C and D tinkering with the idea, then E making it practical after a different advance removes the last stumbling block. Steam transportation required stronger boilers, airplanes needed lightweight engines.
In my own experience the Segway required solid-state gyros, and cell phones required A/D converters fast enough to digitize radio frequencies. I was building prototypes with digital storage scope components.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:39:58 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
As I understand it. one of the critical features of steam engines (smooth round cylinders which allowed a tight fit) came as a result of development in the armaments trade: the ability to bore out cannon barrels. And so forth.
Although I have plans for a steam powered aeroplane. (circa 1908 iirc)
I recall reading an article of a guy who made a processor using individual transistors soldered to circuit boards.
There is a lot of "retro-" building where people are doing "by hand" as a hobby what is not practical to do commercially. I make wooden boxes, the wife crochets blankets. Nobody is going to pay for our time, the best we can hope for is to cover materials. "It is a hobby." >
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
<snip>
Have you seen these puzzle boxes:
I have one like the first image an old acquaintance brought back from Japan after spending some time there. Very cool and they sell for a decent price.
Relative crocheted custom table clothes when she was younger. They used sell for quite a bit. One in particular was $600 in the mid 1970's. I think they "earned" every bit of it though :)
I'm guilty of repairing many items though that would never be profitable to do for pay...
Reply to
Leon Fisk
The Army taught me computer electronics at that RTL and DTL level in 1970. Flip-flops used tricky level shifting and diode steering to direct a capacitive clock pulse to turn off the base of the On transistor. Luckily I had learned DC and AC network analysis in college Physics classes. Later I got into the design of custom ICs, beginning with a DRAM controller for the digital signal processor in a color scanner. When I started as a lab tech at Unitrode my training assignment was to dissect an IC layer by layer with nitric acid and draw the schematic. I got all the current mirrors, gates, op amps and comparators right but couldn't decipher the innards of the voltage reference circuit.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Leon Fisk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.invalid on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 13:27:37 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
IF you have the skill, sure. My skills aren't _that_ good.
I've bought boxes, cabinets, and the like on the grounds "The hardware is more than they're asking for the whole thing!"
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Here's a fine example of the protracted development of a promising but difficult idea into a practical product::
"The reader has doubtless sensed a certain monotony in this review of the early typewriter inventions. “It did good work, but it was too slow,” is the formula which fits nearly all of them; certainly all of them that were able to write at all."
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Quilters used to give away their hard work, too, but they found a marketing scheme which now sees quilts go for hundreds of dollars. Find your marketer, dude.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Larry Jaques snipped-for-privacy@invalid.diversifycomm.com> on Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:56:15 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
It is a possibility. BUT ... I went to tech school to learn machining, because woodworking was a hobby/relaxation. However, as I've said, "I hired this company to collect my pay from customers, oh, and to find customers, suppliers, and to handle the paperwork side of the business."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich
"The system was satisfactory for tram engines (which were very low-powered) but would not have worked for larger railway locomotives."
"South African Railways was famous for its condensing 4-8-4's, which were built to support steam operation through a desert where water was unavailable. The condensing gear, which was mounted in the tender, had its own maintenance needs above and beyond that of the rest of the locomotive. SAR also had otherwise identical conventional 4-8-4's for service elsewhere, which implies that the condensing gear existed only for a special situation."
Their disadvantages were tolerated when necessary to solve more serious problems. Somewhere I read that their maintenance was quite high, due partly to cracking from hammer blow. Your small loading gauge severely restricted what could be hung on the outside in the air flow.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins