Rivett lathe

i guy just called to offer an old Rivett lathe. Looks like a monarch 10EE clone.

I see the variable speed drive is way different:

Does this work well? Other comments on this machine.

It will be a house warming present for "the Kid". He just bought a foreclosed house with a MONSTER insulated shop. Dad only had to loan him 60K

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I've seen a lot of Rivett lathes at auctions of older plants in the northeast, they all looked rock solid. Quite a few were secondary operation lathes, IIRC.

Reply to
ATP*

What a sweet looking design. Other than maybe being something of a bitch to change the belts, it looks like it would be easy to maintain. Or just take out the vari-speed motor and belts and stick in a plain vanilla

3-phase motor and vfd.

If you give him the lathe, I think he would be obligated to help you with a certain muddy job you have (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Oh, he already helped. This riser had two gasket to steel adapters, a six inch steel collar with a four inch cutout for a "T", then three twenty two degree four inch pieces to make a sweep ninety. And finally a reducing flange to three inch pipe thread. He TIG welded it all and certifies no leaks at 150 PSI.

In short, he's the skilled labor. I get to play in the mud.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

haven't seen it, or even pics yet. The guy didn't know what I meant by a lathe chuck or any other basic questions. We googled together by phone and he said it looked like the one I linked.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend