Safe procedures for hoisting an engine

Absolute best is to pull 2 bolts, add lift ring/tab on the front and rear. Next best is a single ring/tab at or near the CG. 2 bolts must be at least 3/8", tabs must be at least 1/4" x 2" plate. Single bolt should be 7/16" minimum.

I have always pulled eng> Take a look at these two pictures:

Reply to
RoyJ

Save yourself some work making lift plates and just go to Depot or Lowe's and get a package of the tie plates that go with the Superstrut. A beefy straight plate with several holes for 1/2" bolts or 1/2" shackles or screw links as needed. Too cheap to be worth the effort to cut and drill your own. I keep a rigging kit well stocked with Superstrut components, sections of 1/2" threaded rod and related goodies that come in real handy.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Unistrut / Powerstrut / Superstrut components along with pieces of the strut and sections of threaded rod. You can make damn near anything you need from that stuff.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Cut three pieces of Superstrut that are a bit wider than the engine so they stick out each side by 6" or so. Put two of these pieces under the engine to the front and rear and secure the engine to them with a couple ratchet web straps. The third piece of Superstrut is the spreader bar that goes on top in the middle. Connect between the four bottom points and top two points with either 1/2" threaded rod or chain / sling depending on what you have. Thread a 1/2" screw link through the middle of the top Superstrut and lift from there.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

OK, thanks to all. I found a second mounting point by removing a side engine mount. It has a weird (to me) mounting arrangement, bottom mounts and also side mounts.

I must also say that having that swivel hook was tremendously helpful for two reasons, one is that it easily swivels, even under load, and also because it is big enough to safely accept two chains in its mouth.

The engines are safely in my backyard.

The new 6x2" swivel/fixed casters also held and were very easy to move.

It was a much easier move than moving the first L423D engine. The Onan DJC was no big deal at all.

Ignoramus22056

Sorry I wasn't on hand to participate but it sound like you did something akin to what I had in mind. Except for some big honkin WWII aircraft engines I don't have any specific knowledge of engine moving.

As way of compensation let me throw in something else. If you're lifting an object and your chains, straps, or cables are "over filling" your hook (especially if they're spread really wide) you can sometimes add a shackle below the hook to tie the part (of your chain & etc.) near the tip of the hook to one at the back; acts like a latch. Of course you could also mouse the hook, but this is a stronger method.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger