salt load

On 10/3/2010 9:14 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

With marbles, you can be reasonably accurate out to 50 yards with practice. Not paper-punching accurate, but send-the-dog-a-message accurate. If you were once accurate with one, it will come back quickly.
Around here, there's been close to some Hatfield/McCoy level feuds over animals killing/mauling livestock, and the shooting of guilty dogs. Mostly the problem stems from city folk that think dogs have a God given right to roam the countryside, and refuse to accept Fifi might still have some vestiges of feral hunting instincts.
Had a neighbor's dog come almost into my garage years ago and give me attitude like I was on his turf. I told the neighbor, next time he does that, the dog dies right there on the spot. Had no more problems after that. But, it's a lot tougher when the dog owner is a friend...
Jon
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:14:35 -0500, Karl Townsend

It should be noted that I once killed a 175lb white tail buck with a Wrist Rocket, using ball bearings at a range of about 30 feet.
Smacked a 1/2" steel ball into the side of his skull just behind the eye socket and he was dead before he hit the ground. And dug the bearing out of the far side of his brain pan.
Go with as small a marble as you can and try not to shoot them in the head..or in the body under 20 feet or less
Gunner
SNIP

Hey Gunner,
Have a peek at this guy.....
<http://www.wimp.com/toogood/
As the dog runs from you on sight. A super soaker of plain water, do you think you can get close enough for that?
The salt load (fired from second floor window?) sounds reasonable.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If the dog is a lab, he'd think that was almost as much fun as getting buried by the snow blower and want to play every day.

Not to me.
Risk of stray salt crystals hitting eyes would deter me from that. I wouldn't want to injure a dog. I'd want to either drop it DRT (dead right there) if it needs to be destroyed, else cause it enough discomfort to modify its behavior without injuring it.
I would never have thought that a basset hound could pass a Cessna, but when I tagged one that was spraying my shrubs with a marble he was outta there like an RPG. I was aiming for his rear haunch, hit him in the balls. ZOW!
We had a dog problem with a neighbor at the lake this summer. They'd go away somewhere (probably to work) but leave the dogs out and they'd bark incessantly all damned day. That really got to be tedious. So when I saw them out sitting on the porch on Saturday, I mosied over, said hi, then started to tell them a story:
"I had a dog once that I was very fond of who, at about age 5, suddenly developed the habit of barking all damned day. Someone called the cops rather than saying anything to me personally and the cops said I'd need to correct that problem immediately. I understood that; the dog was being a goddamned nuisance and I'd feel the same way.
Mary broke Charlie of that barking habit in about 4 hours. I'll skip the details of her very creative and effective solution.
I thought you might like to know that Harley (the dog at the lake) has been a goddamned nuisance lately when you've been gone, and we'd sure appreciate it if you'd do something about that."
That worked. They did. Problem solved. That wouldn't work with a neighbor that is a determined asshole, but these young folks aren't that way at all and I don't think Karl's neighbor is either.
Karl knows that in rural MN there are no leash or noise nuisance ordinances. The sheriff, off the record, would tell you that if a dog is a nuisance then shoot it, bury it and don't mention it. But that's not a viable course with a neighbor you get along with and would like to continue getting along with.
I'm not making up the bit about the sheriff. Our friend Becky had a bunch of kids at her lake place in Aitkin County, a neighbor's dog was loose and scaring the crap out of the children. Becky went over and asked the neighbor to restrain his dog at least for that day. He told her to go to hell. She called the sheriff. The sheriff said there's no law being broken so there's nothing he could do. Becky is not easily put off so she told the sheriff that the situation was unacceptable, what should she do? The sheriff said it wasn't his place to advise her on what she should do, but if were him he'd shoot the damned dog.
So Becky grabbed the .357 Magnum she keeps in her bedroom, went over to the neighbor's with the gun in her hand pointed at the ground, and asked him if he might reconsider restraining the dog for the afternoon.
By golly, he did!
excellent solution, Don. And Karl!
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:14:35 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Then go to a local novelty print shop and have a life-sized cardboard cutout of yourself made, with a motion detector light.
Problem solved, and no harm done!
Cheers! Rich
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:35:13 -0500, Don Foreman

If it was me, I'd put the kittens in a protected place and put the onus on the neighbor. Let them figure out the solution, it's their dog. I'd hate to have a good neighbor turn into a bad one because I accidently killed their kids dog. I'd tell them that too. Close friends would understand that sentiment.
Newb
On 10/3/2010 11:35 AM, Don Foreman wrote:

There are a lot of specialty 12-ga loads like beanbags, and some that just put out a LOT of shock and blast. One of those might be useful.
Years ago a friend of mine lived in a mostly rural development, nice homes on 2acres or more. He kept guinea foul that were like children to him. They would run to meet him when they saw his truck coming home. New neighbor (police officer at nearby Large City) moved nearby, with two very expensive purebred dogs, some large breed. He let them run free, and they developed a taste for my friend's chickens. One morning he saw both dogs in his yard, each with a dead hen in his mouth. He grabbed his 30-30 and dropped both dogs with one (lucky) shot. Loaded the dogs in his pickup, drove to owner's driveway. As owner came out, my friend dragged the dogs out onto the drive, said "Here's your F---ing dogs. you owe me $XX.XX for the poultry they killed. They neighbor said nothing, and paid up.
In Texas, dogs that destroy property become fertilizer.
--
I can see November from my front porch

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:27:30 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

So, they weren't for eating?
Thanks, Rich

"Children? Yes, love them, parboiled or fried." --W.C. Fields
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 10/5/2010 2:13 AM, Rich Grise wrote:

Eggs
--
I can see November from my front porch

I'd get a paintball gun. On full auto you could spray a burst well in front of him to get him scurrying away from you to avoid putting out an eye and then once he turns tail nail him in the hind quarters to your hearts content.
Steve P.
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:47:52 -0500, Karl Townsend

How about a chain for the dog?
On the other hand....rock salt may do the job..IF you see him coming and nail him the moment he hits the yard. And aim at the ass end ..rock salt will blind any critter you hit in the face with it.
Or you can buy/rent/borrow a good STRONG shock collar and watch him coming..the moment he hits the yard..push the button and hold it down while he goes into spasms and apparent convulsions. Hold that button down for more than 30 seconds!! Have his owner shout NO!!! repeatedly while doing it..then let up and let the owner continue to shout NO!! until the dog recovers and runs home.
It may..may take 3-4 such treatments before its burned into his brain that coming over to your place hurts and is a Bad Thing (tm)
And he will try coming onto the property via several different directions after lighting his ass up the first time
It would appear that the invisible fence is not set up high enough. At this point..Id set up his collar to knock his dick in the dirt.

Thanks for the added suggestions. Gives me a couple options to ask the neighbor to get. i need to think a couple days on how to ask polite but firm.
I did order a wrist rocket. The nieghbor put the dog on a chain, for now. I know it will be released as it really suffers being chained.
Karl
On 10/3/2010 11:42 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

And little kittens really suffer when being chewed on by a dog... Wishing you the best, this issue is really a potential minefield.
Jon
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:42:13 -0500, Karl Townsend

No dog "suffers" from being chained unless he is chained in a dangerous spot such as in full sun and away from water.
He may not like it very much, but thats not your problem.
Most folks let the dog out on the chain for a bit, let em shit and piss, then bring em back into the house.
Now the dog may not LIKE being chained..but..shrug..again thats not your problem.
Gunner

My little girl gets excited when she sees me with the snap of her chain in my hand because it means she gets to lay with her tummy on the cool grass and watch me do yard work or some other interesting thing, or maybe even toss her Frisbee (plastic ice cream tub lid) around for her to bark at.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gunner Asch wrote:

Except for the duration suggested, this is the most humane, and also the most effective method. Since OP is willing to work with the neighbor, there shouldn't be any problem in implementing it, either.
I will add that the dog likely doesn't need to be shocked for 30 seconds, as a few seconds of pain achieves the same result, especially when coupled with with a stern verbal reinforcement from the owner.
Jon

I strongly doubt that the owner would go along with this. I sure as hell wouldn't.
Dogs respond much better to the carrot than to the stick though some stick is sometimes necessary. Some breeds are nearly oblivious to pain, labs being a notable example, but if shown stick and reward in quick succession they figure that out quickly enough.
Example: say "come" softly, pull on leash. Praise upon arrival. Repeat. After some of that, take off leash. Say "come" softly. If dog responds, praise lavishly. The first time he does not respond, replace leash, say "come" softly and damned near yank his head off -- then praise lavishly upon arrival.
Training a dog by shouting is foolish. Dogs hear just fine, and quickly learn to ignore all but shouted commands when shouting is the demonstrated form of emphasis.
Excessive use of pain as a motivator can ruin what might otherwise have been a good dog. When they get surly and sneaky, they're ruined and may as well be put down sooner than later.
Some dogs just aren't worth a shit from the gitgo. If they're just stupid and basically untrainable but someone loves them then they get kept, but a pet that harms or kills someone else's livestock or pets is not acceptable. The options are to restrain it, retrain it, or destroy it.