salt load

I shot a dog with a load of rock salt one time that was raiding the chickens. I was surprised with the force it hit the dog. I was aiming at its ass, and it swung his ass all the way sideways and smacked it on the ground, but his front feet never left their position. Felt bad after I did it, but the dog never ever came close to our property again. If you use salt, go with something light like Kosher sized bits rather than the coarser water softener sized crystals. It's probably going to be a short shot anyway. Stock killing animals are not tolerated in the country, and most people will shoot to kill if they know it's a dog that has killed before. It is legal in our agricultural zoned area. Same with deer and coyotes, or foxes. Once they get the taste of it, they will kill more than they can possibly eat, probably for fun or instinct.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

It is easy to teach a dog to pee on command. Just go out with them, and at the exact moment they squat and release, command, "Pee, or whatever." Some trainers I have seen used the word whittle, and repeated it three times. Has to come right at that moment of release, and with all dog training, lots of practice and persistence. Then praise and a nice rub.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Like the old joke about mixing Alum with rock salt so the wound puckers over the salt? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then he would have really hated Fairbanks, AK. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I put the leash on and let her out the back door with the command "Lacey, go find a puddle" and she does, right beside her left foot. Yes, she does lift her right back foot! She also "humps" her teddy bear. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I had the opposite issues on several occasions...Left Michigan in Febuary, arrived in RVN about 72 hrs later.... and a couple years later..left Michigan in January...in 48 hours stepped off the plane in Dammam, Saudi Arabia.......gack!!!

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Shrug..its worked in the several instances Ive had dog problems with outsiders dogs and an adoptee or 3

I did mention that I do animal rescue and currently have 10 dogs...5 in the house pack..and 5 adoptees...right?

Chain link and kennels for the adoptees, training for the other 5.

None are vicious, but a pack can be a handful.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It was in the 80's when I arrived and again when I left a year later, but in between it dropped to below -40F for a good part of the winter along with the 0% humidity. It took me a couple years to get used to the high heat & humidity near Cincinnati when i got home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:28:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Oh yeah.

Like adolescent boys ... individually they might be fine, but in a group, they get all excited, and "it seemed like a good idea at the time!"

yoicks

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I did say that some stick is sometimes necessary. Depends a lot on the individual dog. Maggie the boxer next door that we dogsat now and then would probably have had a nervous breakdown if ever yelled at. She had the sweetest disposition I've ever seen in a dog. When walking on a leash, she'd keep looking back to see if she was doing OK. Only reason for the leash was that she was so fiercely protective of "her humans" if another dog was encountered.

Charlie, the shepherd/black lab mongrel, my companion for 18 years, didn't think I was serious until I crossed her eyes, then she'd go "Oh, shit, that hurt for a second there, you talkin' to me? Can we have an icecream cone now?" Charlie had a mind of her own and loved to game me, but she never ever forgot the basic manners that I required of her as a 3/4 grown stray when she decided to live at my house one day. Everyone in that neighborhood knew Charlie (by various names) so there was no reason to restrain her until I moved elsewhere. But she did NOT get to beg or snatch food from my small children on Dad's weekends. Nothing less than perfect discipline was acceptable. She "got it" very quickly indeed. She would accept no treat, however tempting or proffered, until hearing the word "OK".

How might a dog game me? One of her tricks was to sneakily disappear when we moved to a different 'hood where she wasn't known and needed to stay home. She'd zoom around the house and sneak up behind me, enjoying my discomfiture that she'd disappeared when in fact she was right behind me. Ha ha, foodju, wag wag. Goddamned impudent dog!

In a pack situation, you do have to definitely assert your role as the alpha male immediately and maintain that as necessary. That said, I still hold that praise, love and rewards work far better than pain and punishment for dogs that are worth bothering with -- and why bother with a dog that isn't worth bothering with?

Reply to
Don Foreman