Sawzalls and recoil

Ha! Join the club. I just brought home a DeWalt circular saw from a garage sale. I was looking for a manual on line and there is a recall on it!!! I suspect that the guy who sold it to me really did not know as the whole thing was caked in what I take to be sheet rock dust. Some of it has formed a new rock formation of its own. So he must have been using it...

I was going to put a steel-cutting blade in it and have a go but I am having second thoughts.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Like the Skill VS saber saw with the quick change blade chuck that Skill no longer supports. I paid $2 for it and plan to convert it to a rattle can shaker that someone here posted about. I have since seen two of these NIB at a surplus outlet tagged on sale for $18 each, no thanks. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What is the recall? If it is something minor, I would just use it until it dies.

Reply to
Ignoramus25005

So send it in!! You might get a new one out of it!

I always buy broken Craftsman tools at yard sales...the ones I know I can trade in for a new one

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If I understood it correctly, under certain circumstances (?) the spindle slips and the blade hits the guard. However, this is quite an old recall and the guy must have been using the saw for years looking at the state of it. I saw no blood stains mixed with all that dust so I guess without any accidents.

The big question is how using it with a steel-cutting blade would change the spindle loading conditions. I fear quite a bit...

I gather DeWalt would still do the recall work for free but the cost of getting it to the service center probably exceeds the cost of a brand new saw.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

...and everyone says Harbor Freight tools are useless. ;-)

Reply to
krw

From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like either the Dewalt or the other unit are ones that I would want to buy. Last year I bought a brand new super sawsall. It was a Milwaukee top of the line job. It sounds like I did the right thing by getting the original one and not a copy. So far I like it and it is very powerful, cuts great. I like powerful.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I know this is a UK site but it may be of some help in identifying the parts you are after.

or you could try

Regards Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Don't be too sure - if you aren't in a rush you can get ground shipping fairly cheap. Though you have to go straight to the USPS or UPS service counter to get the best rates, most of the "Pack and Ship" stores charge extra.

It's the "Overnight Air by 10 AM Guaranteed" where they rape you.

The real Milwaukees are nice, but you need 120V in the vicinity. I have one, and they are the gold standard - but not nearly as handy as the 18V battery units for attics and parking lots.

And watch the model numbers and the amp ratings - even Milwaukee is making multiple grades of tools to meet price point pressures. A cheap model stripped of features and a smaller motor to match the competition, and the Better models with storage cases, quick-change blades and cords, anti-vibe and bigger motors if you are willing to pay for it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It's a kind of sixth sense. You could call it Deja Blue (Corona), or Deja Blew... - you just get the feeling that there's an ulterior motive why they want to use your tool rather than one of theirs.

Or a very good reason why nobody in a position of authority allows them to possess any tools, usually because they can't even figure out which end to shove through the meaty part of their palm...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman