Selling bearings

Nothing particuarly of note..just the rememberances of old men, far from home, sorta cast adrift in a world far different than they had grown up in. Most of them remained bachlors..though a couple married, late and as best as I can recall, happily. Best as I can recall..second marraiges for them..their first wifes having died in the war, along with their families.

One thing I always found interesting was the bitterness they felt not just towards their own leaders at the time..but angry that the US didnt draft them in 1945, and make war on the Russians..whom they hated more than anything in the world. Particularly those who had been on the Eastern front. Hate that was palpable..you could see it like beams of light....

Shrug...

I ran into some of the same sort of folks years later in SouthEast Asia..having gone there with the French Foriegn Legion and staying there after the French left in the 50s.

The Foreign Legion being made up of largely SS troops, often wanted as war criminals, after about 1945...

History is at times..stranger than fiction....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I am a former komsomol member...

I am curious, how much did it fetch.

Ignoramus12137

I know..which is why I thought to mention it

About what the Winchester 101 Diamond Grade (Trap) did. As I recall..about $1500. It was complete..with documents, including the previous owners ID tag and his paybook. And a nice picture of him in it. Both went to the same guy for cash. I probably could have held out for more..but they were foreclosing on the house and.....Sold some other stuff at the same time..fire saled some of it...saved the house though..paid it off last year.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I am highly impressed. Were there any holes in the uniform?

Ignoramus12137

Given how their asses were kicked by the Russians, it is understandable. Read e.g. about operation Bagration in 1944.

My grandpa participated in WWII from start to finish (and is one of the 2% of people who survived similar duration of service intact).

He was in artillery and ended the war in Koenigsberg.

I guess he should have saved a SS uniform from some of the SS men that the Russians were executing on the spot. He could sell it here in the US, he moved here in 1991.

My grandparents share similar feelings about the Germans.

Very interesting. I read some memoirs from a former SS soldier, likely not very true but interesting and well written. I thought that lower grade SS troops were not routinely prosecuted. Unless they were pictured on pictures like this

Ignoramus12137

That's the sort of thing that makes history come alive. One of my favorite items in my neighbor's collection is a tattered photo album that belonged to a local man's uncle, who flew P39 aircobras in the pacific theater. Also his logbook, and some personal effects.

The photos are pure and simple amazing, shots taken from in flight, a photo of a plane that landed with the plexiglass turret all shot to hell (I think it was a B25) and snapshots of his friends and their living accomodations.

The logbook ended abruptly one unfortunate day, it and the effects were sent home to family. They were cleaning out the nephew's house and the stuff was going into the dumpster, until somebody realized what it was, and they called up Mike....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Nope. He took it off one day...put on a regular suit, put the uniform in a case with some moth balls and only took it out to put it on once a year, drink a toast in schnaps and click his heels together while Heiling..or so I suspect.

Given the rank..and the history of SS-Das Reich..I rather suspect he wasnt anxious to have too many folks see that uniform for a number of years..or use his real name.....

He claimed to have gotten it "somewhere" but the photo was just 30 yrs younger, if you looked under his mustache.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Far far too much such Stuff has gone into the dumpster, or rotted away in a forgotten footlocker out in the barn over the years. I sent some stuff down to New Orleans a number of years ago, that Id collected from the estate of a elderly gentleman who had toured Europe from the top hatch of a Sherman. From Normandy to 1946. One of the few who lasted the whole way. His diary, letters home, journals, etc etc.

The family was going to pitch Gramps shit in the trash if it didnt sell at the yard sale......

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Tue, 13 Dec

2005 01:11:03 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

For similar reason as to why people will take their recreation using aircraft emergency egress equipment (otherwise known as "parachutes"). People do all sorts of weird things, "for fun." And some people want their involvement in history to be more than an academic experience. Some are collectors, and there are two groups of collectors: those who want to "have and use", and those who just want to "have".

And there no doubt are other reasoning as well. I've heard reports of a re-enactment group in New York which recreates an SS unit. They do, however, restrict membership in the unit to Jews. Now that's Chutzpah!

tschus people

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Do they ever play at camp smith?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

That's interesting... His rank was an equivalent of major, I suppose.

Ignoramus29580

Gunner Asch

As I recall..its a heavy major or light general...somewhere in that range. Id have to look it up.

A rank which "I vus only following orders" really didnt apply..least not in Neurmburg.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Think again, my friend..as Ive said before..history is often stranger than fiction

prisoners of war held in Siberia..since 1919

Korean War prisoners held in Siberia (and china)

captured in Vietnam held in Russia (and china)

confirmation
more

Lots of British troops held in russia well though the 1950s-60s..from WW2 also. Google "Britanka "

Of interest about the gulags

Ill see if I can find the article about the WW2 POWs turning up in the

1980s. Ive run across several references to them..but no hard data source yet.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Those are different stories, not about German prisoners.

It may make sense to hide American prisoners. (I know nothing about Soviet Union hiding American prisoners, but I suppose that it could happen).

What sense would it make to hide German prisoners? If the prisoner deserved being killed, in the eyes of the Soviet state, they could kill him any time. If not, he'd be released with everyone else. There is no embarrassment factor in keeping German prisoners.

Ignoramus29580

As I gathered it...they were not hidden..just simply forgotten. They may have pleased or pissed off some apparatchic who stuck em deeper in the system...and the years went by.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Tue, 13 Dec

2005 21:17:00 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

The "problem" as I understand it, weren't the Germans" or obviously "Anglo-Saxons" but the 'ethnic' troops. Caught in a round up, there you are, Joe Sixpackski from Pittsburgh, and the processing clerk puts you down as "Polish Home Army". And when the order from Moscow comes to release all the Americans, you're not listed as an American, you're a Pole. Und so weiter.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Makes sense to hide U.S.A. airman et.al. in the old Russia ? They were our partner in war - we sent tons of ships to them and the graveyard on the way to support their war effort. Every plane that landed in Russia was taken, crew interned and plane used as a copy setup... The 'Bears' that flew A-Bombs were crude copies.

Louis Lamore (sp) wrote a good book on this sort of thing in the modern years.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ignoramus29580 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Louis L'Amour. Last of the Breed. Great book I've read it twice. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:14:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

My dad was a real L'Amour fan. I just finished "Slide Rule" and throrooughly enjoyed both it and the previous book, "Trusete From the Toolroom" by Nevil Shute. I'm 40% of the way through the VHS "A Town Like Alice" this evening, too. Thanks to you rec.metalheads for suggesting them.

What else is good by him? I checked out a couple more Andre Norton time travel books in the interim.

Reply to
Larry Jaques