Selling bearings

In my opinion ALL of Nevil Shutes are worth reading, as are L'Amour and Tony Hillerman ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Thanks - that is it - great description of the internal mountain structures..... Something else in a book - not the normal cowboy - but a Pilot.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:30:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Thanks, Lew.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Tue, 13 Dec

2005 20:17:02 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Fiction has to be plausible, History is what happens when people don't follow the script.

oy.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yep. Imagine what would happen if an author wrote a book or script where the first battle of a war started in some guy's front yard, and he moved thousands of miles away after that.

Then four year later, the surrender for that war is signed in his living room.

Never happen, right? That author would be a laughing stock.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Jim, I am dying of curiosity, please shed light on this!

Ignoramus20852

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:43:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus20852 quickly quoth:

Let's just hope he's not referring to the Shrub here, eh?

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The man's name was wilmer mclean and the us civil war started practically in his front yard, and ended when grant and lee signed the surrender documents years later, in his house.

Anyone who wrote that into a script or a book would be called crazy.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

L'Amour? All of them are good.

Do a google..and start reading the beginning book in the Sackettes series..and read your way through them.

They also show up with some regularlty on the binary flood newsgroup.

Someone I know has about 2 gigs of books on one of my..er..his hard drives..if you want to read em. Including all of the LAmour books...and Heinlein and and and and......

Drop me an email and Ill ask him to send you whatever you want.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Sig material!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:09:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

No, Norway (aka Nevil Shute.)

I've read all of Heinlein's, Bradbury's, Clarke's, and Larry Nevin's wondrous stuff. I've read all of Isaac Asimov's output twice now and am working through the locally available list of Andre Norton. About halfway now.

I much prefer a lightweight book I can curl up with, thanks. Tell your friend (LOL) that I won't need his bootlegged eye-burners after all.

Did you catch that xmas song link I posted yesterday?

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He has them in PDA formats as well, if you carry a PDA

Another author I simply love reading is Robert Asprin.

Google Myth Adventure, Mything in Action, and so forth

Good fun reading.

No, I didnt.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I'm too old to PDA, even with bifocals.

I happened onto a book, "Song in the Silence" from my niece, which led me to read all 3 of Elizabeth Kerner's enticing books on dragons, but I'm not much for myth and fantasy, preferring sci-fi.

I think Dad left a L'Amour book for me and I may yet read it.

You did (the ode to chipmunks) since I saw your laughing reply later in that thread.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

email me a valid email addy..and Ill send you a couple L'Amours you may enjoy. Reading them off the computer is easy to get used to.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:59:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Thanks, you have my email addy but I'll pass anyway. As I already said, my eyes don't like staying glued to the screen for that long and I prefer to read curled up in bed. Books will always have their place in my heart, home, and life. They're one of my few obsessions.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not to mention that it will eat the paint off metal three feet away.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell