Shelby's new supercar

Hey, there must be some metal in there somewhere! But it's mostly a pile of carbon fiber.

This is what the people at Shelby SuperCars have done with Shel's Cobra legacy. They're building another car with a reptile's name (Tuatara, an ugly beast -- the lizard, not the car, which is very cool).

Think of it as the anti-EA, anti-whoyakidding, screw-you-everybody vehicle. The mileage probably sucks. It only weighs 2750 pounds, but it has (be still, my heart) 1.350 hp and produces 1,280 lb-ft. of torque. They're actually fudging the horsepower, just like the Big Three did with their 7-liter engines back in the '60s, to avoid Congress's attention. The Tuatara engine actually can produce 1,700 hp.

0-60 in 2.5 seconds, theoretical top speed is 276 mph. No word yet of a plug-in hybrid version...

This car is either a sign of the Apocalypse or evidence that we're crawling out of our penurous, poor-economy state of mind. And somebody must figure that we're going to find more oil somewhere.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It seems Shelby Super Cars has no relation to Carroll Shelby at all. They had to change their name to SSC for obvious reasons.

anorton

My '94 Escort will beat the pants off it on a Costco beer run... lol.

Seriously though, that's a nice looking car. Definitely in the "if ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it" class. Hell, I probably couldn't afford a tune up for something like that....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Nah - nitromethane - it's a green fuel, right? d;^)

Reply to
Ecnerwal

SSC is a different company BUT A 6.9 that can turn close to 10K rpms! That thing must be howling like a banshee...

I'm thinking it's probably not MPG you get but GPM...

Like the little speed indicator for the passenger, that could be fun with some high strung types. Looks like you need to be a gymnast to get in though if the body cuts are anything close to the entry areas. Mirrors ruin it though. Would think they would have opted for a small camera bubble on each side with a small display screen inside instead.

Reply to
Steve W.

But if I don't ask how am I going to write the check?

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Useless, no room for two deer and gear when I come back from the deer harvest, no ground clearance for hidden rocks in the fields.

Also, twice as many wheels on the ground as needed for go fast feeling.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Damn! Winding Road should have made that clear.

Oh, well. It's still a fascinating piece of work.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It does look nice, doesn't it? And I don't always like the looks of today's supercars. A lot of them look like they had just run out of ideas, and this was all they could come up with.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No mention of the pushrods! At 9200 RPM surely there are at least two sets. :)

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

We will never run out of oil.

Homer Stille Cummings

Yeah, the engine in this one is a quad-cam affair with dual turbos. It's tall, although it looks like it has a dry sump to compensate.

However, they had an earlier version of it with pushrods. I didn't see any rpm specs on that one but they must have needed the revs and four-valve setup of quad cams to get all that horsepower.

The supercar race is becoming ridiculous. Apparently the sheiks in the Middle Eastern oil countries are buying them up -- Maserattis, Ferraris, McLarens, Bugattis, etc.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah, I just read that yesterday. We'll see.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sorta like a Lamborghini, a lot of 'aerodynamic' features that probably have at least as much to do with appearance as with actual aerodynamics. This really does have a clean sheet look to it.

Jon

Reply to
janders

Yes, the recent Lambos are definitely of that type. They don't look like they could be aerodynamic at all -- the Lambo Veneno and Aventador look like they have the aerodynamics of a squashed tomato can -- but they apparently do well in the wind tunnel. I never forget that Lamborghini originally was an agricultural tractor company.

The new one from SSC looks much better to my eyes.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well, "anti-" in diff. senses, of course.... Anti-EA is, as you allude, bigdick hp.... Anti-Kidding is, well, anything that makes engineering sense, like, well, superfluous multi-planetary gears in a $1+++ BIL """green""" science project....

Ahhh, but hypocrisy is a glorious thing. The FIRST thing I do in any car review is check out the hp..... LOL!!!!!!

Hennesey motors can take any 300-400 hp car, and give it back to you with

1,000-2,000 hp. Preferably 'vettes.

The mileage probably sucks. It only weighs 2750 pounds, but

Somebody had to kick Veyron's ass.

Reply to
Existential Angst

You guys are arguing about automobile economy while this Shelby dude is building megamillion supercars with 1350 horsepower, probably getting worse milage than a loaded dump truck going up a hill, and all I could think about was your...disagreement.

I wonder, after you've poked the throttle a few times and blasted up to 250 mph without killing yourself (problematic, at that), what you do with the car next? Sell it?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Keep it in a 50 car garage, like Jay Leno, drive it once a year.

I wish they'd make these cars look like fukn CARS..... these things remind me of the Aptera, ferchrissakes.... How bout a '70s vintage Plymouth Gran Fury or Dodge Charger or MonteCarlo with 1700 hp??

These fukn Veyrons, SSCs look like cigars with wheels.

Reply to
Existential Angst

You're stuck in the past, EA. Not that I'm not .

Look at the Lambos. They look like Transformers: push a button, and it unfolds into an Intergalactic Dump Truck.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think a 1970 Charger with 1700 hp would weigh less than fuknKidding's BloatVolt. Might even get better gas mileage: Press the Charger's accelerator ONCE, and it would proly COAST for 40 miles....

Reply to
Existential Angst