Shipping to Oz?

Ive a friend in Oz that Id like to send some clothing items to. Boots/shoes and some clothing mostly, as he is a difficult size and is unable to afford decent ones that I can pick up dirt cheap here in the States. Mostly used goods in good condition.

How does one go about doing this? What pitfalls are we going to run into?

Thanks

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner,

Just ship USPS. We have shipped a bunch of motorcycle heads "down under" and the only affordable way was USPS. It took about three weeks to get there and five weeks to come back. UPS and FEDEX have WAAAY too much paperwork and "customs fees"

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

for my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Is he gonna have to pay Vat or some other such stuff on gifts? He is not doing all that well financially, he takes care of an invalid mom and is on the dole I believe. His net access is about the only luxury he has.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Put a customs declaration sticker on it, saying it is a gift, with a nominal low value. Here in the UK it would go through with no duty or VAT, it's probably the same in Oz. Under about $50 they probably don't bother charging, as they do here.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

USPS Global Priority.

OZ is a reliable place to ship to, they are straight shooters--insurance not really even needed.

Now if you were shipping to France, that would be a different story.....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

USPS is definitely the way to go.

I have received plenty of packages from the US this way, and though it struck me as a little pricey on the heavier items (clock, microscope) it was quick (about a week!) and troublefree.

I've never been hit with any GST or customs. All the packages have been honestly described on the customs label, some were new some were secondhand. Having said that, I'm not *sure* of the import duties requirements. (But *I've* never been hit.) Label them accurately and I'm pretty sure there'll be no aggravation.

UPS is generally twice (or more) the price, and they're less than gentle with the boxes.

-- Jeff R. Sydney

Reply to
A.Gent

Unless the value over $500 Oz / $360 US, including postage, GST @10% is not usually charged. I do not know if there is any customs duty on US made clothing, if there is, the $500 would be reduced, as the amount to be collected as GST/duty is usually $50 or more.

Gunner,

I don't think the value of the stuff you are sending would be over $200 so it is most unlikely that your friend would be charged anything. Postage charges from US have gone up sky high recently, they are much higher than from Oz to US. Which part of Oz is he in? The West or the inferior other 2/3rds?

I ordered some stuff from the US, instructed the supplier to send in 2 parcels valued $325 Oz each, which would have been GST free. Stupid bastards sent it in one parcel, said it would save me $10 in postage. I was hit with $68 GST as a result of their "cleverness" and disregard of my instructions. I will never buy from them again. I knew the postage would be $40 for 2 parcels against $30 for 1, but I would have saved $58 over all.

Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

Currently the cheapest and least red tape way is to use mail services as long as the shipment is valued at less than AU$1,000 (inc postal charges) it can enter duty and GST (VAT) free as long as it is declared as a gift. If it exceeds AU$1,000 then an informal customs clearance is required which costs about AU$50, plus duty, plus GST at 10%, plus a heap of red tape or payment to a customs agent to get the goods from the nearest airport. It took me about 4 hours to get clearance of a camera recently at Brisbane Airport mail centre and that was with a helpful customs agent. The process is archaic, handwritten forms, photo copies, proof of id, rubber stamps.

has most of the details plus the PDFs for the tariffs payable by item. You might want to have a look at the free trade agreement between AUS and USA and see what will be duty free after that is signed by Pres Shrub and his Poodle Howard later this month or next month.

If sent by courier service then the value drops to AU$250 before an informal clearance is required, plus they will insist on doing the clearance and charging for it.

All goods used for trade have to be cleared - although this only seems to happen for higher value goods and repeat smaller items sent regularly from the same consignor. The dollar value is assessed at date of consignment so watch out for any fluctuations in value if you are close to the AU$1000/250 limits.

Reply to
Roger Martin

If you have something new - take it out of the packaging and take off the labels. Post those in letters if need be.

If customs opens and sees a NEW item, it is new for sale. That is the US custom trait.

e.g. return home with opened and used items otherwise prepare to pay.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn