Site Check Please! Gages!

Well, it's funny you should mention that. I've begun to notice once in a while a whole lot of stuff downloads for a specific auction, but I only see the top screen full and there's nothing to scroll down to for either pictures/descriptions nor even bidding. More and more folks are getting more sophisticated in their auction formatting. Might be something in the code from one of the auction creating/management programs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

[ ... ]

I just went through all of the tools pages except the sign in part using Mozilla v1.5 on a Sun workstation, and had no problems. (Well ... once it hung, trying to get from "Gauge Stands" to "Shop Tools" -- but a retry worked so it might have been momentary communications problems.

Hmm ... just went to "About Us", and the three bars below "Shop Tools" on the left appear to be active links, but are blank.

Looking at the page source, I find the following where that should be defined.

====================================================================== src="file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/New%20Stuff/SurplusGage_com_files/policies.gif" ======================================================================

and that file: part will not work from a remote site, let alone the reference to "C|" (which I presume to be equivalent to "C:", or a typo.) It would probably look normal on your system, but not on any remote one.

All three of them have the same problem -- the one which I quoted was the middle of the three, for what it may be worth.

"Policies" has the same problem.

Looking at the same area on one of the tools pages -- ("Shop Tools", I find this instead, which *does* work.

====================================================================== src="graphics/00000001/policies.gif" width="120" height="21" ======================================================================

The "Contact Us" page has a whole slew of bars with broken-image icons at the upper left. But that may be because I have most JavaScript functions disabled, and there is JavaScript on that page.

I hope that this is some help. I would have done private e-mail, but the system which is running the newsreader at the moment is

*by design* out of touch with the outside world -- it just talks to my local news server. So, if I had tried to answer via e-mail, it would have sat in the queue for a week and then bounced back to my inbox. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

P.S. Some of that looks very tempting. What is the difference between the "Anvil Mike" and a thread mike -- other than the choice of anvils?

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sure enough -- totally blank. I get the same effect in amaya, and a view source there shows only down to the tag, and from there nothing until the tag. Very strange.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I loaded your page with Netscape composer 4.8, saved and then loaded the merchant.mvc in Dreamweaver2. I had dreamweaver clean up html and then saved the page. Now Netscape 4.8 loads the merchant.mvc (local saved version) just fine.

A note to people using the 4.x netscapes, you might try loading the web pages that don't work in Composer (if you have it installed) instead of Navigator.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

The site works fine with MSNTV. Why are those verniers so expensive? Are they really big?

Reply to
dann mann

On 13 Jul 2003 01:03:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) scribed:

Thanks for the great feedback DoN:

Yes, the site is far from done, and was looking for some preliminary feedback... Ie; formatting etc...

I have to track down a few bugs and finish a few pages - graphics need to be polished...

I still won't have a merchant account for a few weeks, so I am putting August 15th or so as a "go live" date...

Anvil mic & thread mics are similar, but you have different pitch anvils on a thread mic... The multi-anvil mic has different styles such a disc, sphere etc... Lets you create different style mics from one frame...

Best,

Fred

Reply to
Phred

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:25:30 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dann mann) scribed:

Thanks Dann:

Actually they are pretty big, Made in Germany, Lightweight, and you should see what the list prices are! ;-)

Fred

Reply to
Phred

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:11:17 -0400, Thor scribed:

Thanks Thor:

I am going to do just that too, although Miva dynamically generates the page with session ID and other stuff, so I may either be in there dynamic html generation, or the headers and footers I added... They also have a new version 4.18 merchant out but my Host has not done an upgrade yet... Supposed to fix a lot of bugs...

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Phred

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:11:17 -0400, Thor scribed:

I tracked down a version of NN 4.7 and did a few tests in Dreamweaver MX, and after running the tidy up HTML command, still was a problem... I went through the code line by line, and I found an improperly nested tag, cleaned that out and voila, problem fixed... I also found quite a few empty tags and other clutter that MX's cleanup missed...

Apparently to have the purported "best" authoring tools does not a expert site designer make...

As others had suggested in a site development group, I went to the dreamweaver site with NN 4.7 and utter chaos... I guess they dropped some major support for older browsers in their upgrade. If even their own site does not play by the rules...

While Dreamweaver is a great tool, I am now a little more cautious and will go through all 900 pages of our main site to make sure everything if working good in the older browsers.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:56:47 -0400, Mike Graham scribed:

Mike:

Yup, that was it... Thanks for the help and feedback.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

On 13 Jul 2003 01:03:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) scribed:

Hey DoN:

All seems to be working good now, with most browsers and such. Including NN 4.7+, Mozilla, Opera and IE...

OBTW: Took all the Javascript off the pages per your suggestion... They are small enough to load pretty quickly without the need for any extra overhead... Alt tags are coming on everything, and a text menu at the bottom for text based browsers (also a quick way to get to the top)...

Company just gave me about 70 new overstock items to put up, so there will be a pretty nice selection when we go live on Aug 15th. I hope to have 150-200 products for the rollout.

Thanks for you help and feedback!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Great! JavaScript seems to be creeping into everything, whether it is needed or not, and those who are security conscious will have it disabled.

Great!

Glad to help.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If you have the need to find the older browsers in the future you might try

I used Macromedia DreamWeaver 2.0 to check the html code. There are other programs out there but this is what I had on hand at the time. I kind of prefer the older programs to the newer ones. There is doctor html at
that will do a single page analysis for free. I just ran my web page through Dr.html and found a spelling error. I also ran your page
through and it found a couple of errors, Line 3 The close tag was not found, though the open was. You should open and close the HEAD tag in order to get consistent performance on all browsers.

I hope this helps, Thor

Reply to
Thor

Fred squeezed out:

================== Feddie. I haven't finished reading this whole thread so I hope this post isn't redundant. A useful tool to determine if it is your code broken or just a broken browser is to validate the site.

gives an on-line tool to check web sites against the established standards. So if your site passes the validation you can be pretty sure it isn't you that's short of the mark when someones browser can't negotiate the site properly.

Hope this helps. Ian.

Reply to
Ian Timshel

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:31:21 -0400, Thor scribed:

Thor:

I guess the only good html is the one that works?

MX gives you spotty validation, Tiny expounds on everything...

Line by line in notepad...Only way I guess?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Jon Anderson scribed in :

slower

put more memory in it. 64mb is about the minimum upgrade to Mozilla 1.4, it's really fast

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU