Slightly OT: CPSC files Complaint for Injunction against Firefox (chemical supplier to fireworks hobbyists)

This is a little off topic, but I know some of you have aquired
chemicals from Firefox or one of the other companies selling fireworks
supplies.
The
Details of CPSC Injunction against Firefox
The CPSC Injunction against Firefox would require them to:
"Not sell, give away, or otherwise distribute any chlorate compound,
magnesium metal, permanganate compound, peroxide compound, zirconium
metal, or any chemical listed at 16 C.F.R. § 1507.2 to any recipient
who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives
issued by the ATF;
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following
chemicals for which the particle size is finer than 100 mesh (or
particles less than 150 microns in size) to any recipient who does not
possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the
ATF: aluminum and aluminum alloys, magnalium metal, magnesium/aluminum
alloys, titanium and titanium alloys, or zinc metal;
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following
chemicals in an amount greater than one pound per year per recipient
to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license
for explosives issued by the ATF: antimony and antimony compounds,
benzoate compounds, nitrate compounds, perchlorate compounds,
salicylate compounds or sulfur;
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any fuse in an amount
greater than 25 feet per year per recipient who does not possess a
valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF."
In addition, the injunction requires extensive record keeping
(photocopies of drivers licenses and, if applicable, ATF licenses for
all recipients, as well as detailed invoices maintained for at least
seven years) and requires Firefox's agreement to provide those records
to CPSC at any time on demand.
Reply to
pkdickman
Sorry about that. I hit the wrong key and sent the message before I finished typing. Below is the finished version
NHSA, have decided to go after certain chemicals that might be used in explosives.
In a newsletter from Harry Gillian at Skylighter chemical, I gleaned the following information. The CPSC served Firefox and has paid an information gathering visit to Skylighter.
Paul K. Dickman
Reply to
pkdickman
Wait a minute! They are restricting the sale of Aluminum, Magnesium/aluminum alloys and Titanium alloys, and Zinc? Yikes! What about the friendly local scrap yard? Are they next on the homeland security list?
Antimony, and salycilate compounds? What about all the aspirin at the grocery store? Am I going to need a BATF permit to buy or store ASPIRIN??!!??
I assume they are mostly worried about powdered metals and explosive chemicals, but this sounds awfully broad! And, if anyone wants some really nice, finely powdered aluminum alloy, all they have to do is get to the floor sweeping under my bandsaw before I clean it up.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson

Site Timeline