Slightly OT: CPSC files Complaint for Injunction against Firefox (chemical supplier to fireworks hobbyists)

This is a little off topic, but I know some of you have aquired chemicals from Firefox or one of the other companies selling fireworks supplies.

The

Details of CPSC Injunction against Firefox

The CPSC Injunction against Firefox would require them to:

"Not sell, give away, or otherwise distribute any chlorate compound, magnesium metal, permanganate compound, peroxide compound, zirconium metal, or any chemical listed at 16 C.F.R. § 1507.2 to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following chemicals for which the particle size is finer than 100 mesh (or particles less than 150 microns in size) to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF: aluminum and aluminum alloys, magnalium metal, magnesium/aluminum alloys, titanium and titanium alloys, or zinc metal;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following chemicals in an amount greater than one pound per year per recipient to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF: antimony and antimony compounds, benzoate compounds, nitrate compounds, perchlorate compounds, salicylate compounds or sulfur;

Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any fuse in an amount greater than 25 feet per year per recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF."

In addition, the injunction requires extensive record keeping (photocopies of drivers licenses and, if applicable, ATF licenses for all recipients, as well as detailed invoices maintained for at least seven years) and requires Firefox's agreement to provide those records to CPSC at any time on demand.

Reply to
pkdickman

NHSA, have decided to go after certain chemicals that might be used in explosives.

In a newsletter from Harry Gillian at Skylighter chemical, I gleaned the following information. The CPSC served Firefox and has paid an information gathering visit to Skylighter.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
pkdickman

Wait a minute! They are restricting the sale of Aluminum, Magnesium/aluminum alloys and Titanium alloys, and Zinc? Yikes! What about the friendly local scrap yard? Are they next on the homeland security list?

Antimony, and salycilate compounds? What about all the aspirin at the grocery store? Am I going to need a BATF permit to buy or store ASPIRIN??!!??

I assume they are mostly worried about powdered metals and explosive chemicals, but this sounds awfully broad! And, if anyone wants some really nice, finely powdered aluminum alloy, all they have to do is get to the floor sweeping under my bandsaw before I clean it up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson