Supply complaint

Hey, folks. I've come here and done reading off and on for a while when I had questions about welding and related topics, and I thought I'd pass on a recent experience I had with an online supplier of welding supplies.

To keep it short: I placed an order with

and 1) they had one item on back order, and 2) they told me that I needed a particular item that they sold that would fit my needs (helmet part). They held the entire order of eleven items because of that one item that was on back order, didn't contact me to let me know that the item was on back order (and their computer systems aren't tied to the inventory, so there was no information about the stock status of the item when I placed the item), and when I called to find out where my order was the guy I spoke to not only didn't care that I wasn't happy about the order being held, but also told me that "if I didn't want do business with them anymore that was my choice".

I called and spoke to the son of the owner (the person who ovesees all their internet sales) and got the basic story of, "our margins are too small to provide that kind of customer service" about the order being held because of that one item. I told him of the apathy of the person I spoke to about whether or not I'd do business with them again and he defended his person by saying, "I'm asking these guys to do a lot already, they're under pressure".

I then told that guy about the item being wrong and what could I do about getting it right (returning the wrong item, getting the right one) and he said that he wouldn't pay for shipping even though they sold me the wrong item because he wasn't sure it was his fault or the manufacturer's fault, and when I told him that his people told me what to buy he claimed that he would tell them not to make recommendations anymore because that's "a value-added service".

Anyway, the place was completely apathetic and devoid of any semblance of customer service which is sad; if I ran my business that way I'd be out of business.

There are too many places to buy this stuff from online to do business with a place like that.

--HC

Reply to
HC

Robert Ball

"Robert Ball" wrote: (clip)we sure don't have to do business with him if we know how he operates. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You would be doing him a big favor if you sent him a copy of this thread, so I suggest not doing it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
mrbonaparte

"HC" wrote the following answer to his own question:

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, I could have done that but I bought some materials for a couple of friends so to terminate the order would have screwed them; I just sucked it up, accepted the order, got my stuff (and my friends' too), and just won't go back to them again.

It's just so disappointing to have been treated like I was a problem to take money from. I swear, customer service seems to be dead anymore; at least at weldingsupply.com.

--HC

Reply to
HC

You didn't indicate the time frame of the your delay and backorder. However, I had an internet order from another company that also ended up being backordered. I received a card from them that included the following statement: "The Federal Trade Commission Mail Order Rule gives you the option of cancelling items not shipped within 30 days after we receive your original order." It goes on to indicate what you need to do to cancel and receive a refund, if that is what you want to do.

I think this was a reasonable response by the company I was dealing with (plus, I had the luxury of being able to wait a couple more weeks until it was delivered).

Until I got this notice, I was not aware of the rule. Maybe quoting this rule would provide some leverage for the customer the next time a company's customer service gives you the cold shoulder about backordered items.

Reply to
tdoodyNS

I ordered the materials on a Monday, early enough to expect that they would ship out that day (they claimed, IIRC, that they usually had same day shipping on items). On the day I expected the items to show up I called to get a tracking number to confirm that they'd be there that day only then to find out that they hadn't shipped the order. They didn't wind up receiving the materials that they had to order until the following Tuesday and I didn't receive the order until the following Friday, over a week after I expected to have received the items. This isn't the old West where you write a letter back East to order something and it shows up 3 months later and 30 days is highly unacceptable for a delay on an order. So is a company providing ordering services online but yet being unable to inform you at the time you place the order that one or more items are not in stock. The failures on their part were 1) timeliness in delivering the product. UPS at its most basic rate shipping can still get a package from one state to most any place in that state in one day, and, for the smaller states, to several surrounding states. Even getting a package at that slow, cheap rate, from Maine to California isn't more than about 6 days. Expecting to receive items in a timely fashion is not an unreasonable request. Particularly in this day and age of efficiency and computer controls. I had made commitments to have materials on hand at a particular time and wasn't able to stand by them. 2) There is no excuse for a company that sells items online not to have a way for the inventory of the items to be known by the ordering system; i.e. the order interface should have been able to access the inventory and inform me at the time of the order that an item was not in stock. I have years of experience in designing and implementing similar systems (e.g.

which I did the server/online implementation of as it transisioned from CompUSA to Telvista) and I assure you that when you made a change in the system at one point it was immediately available from other points. What I'm saying is that I've done work like this, I know how it *can* work, and the stuff I worked on didn't have such a huge logic-gap; how can you design a system to take orders and *not* give it access to the inventory information which should have been computerized, too?

Finally, the biggest problem was the complete lack of interest on their part to acknowledge that they'd not properly handled the order and a complete disinterest in retaining me as a client. All I wanted when I first called them and found that the order had not shipped was, "We're sorry, we should have contacted you. We'll ship what we have now and ship the other item as soon as it arrives, no extra cost for the shipping." That's how I run my business now and it's how I expect to be treated. When I order from

I get a confirmation order immediately and then, within a business day, an e-mail letting me know the status of my order. Unfortunately their system doesn't indicate inventory status but at least I know what the status of my order is within 24 hours or so which proves that an Internet business

*can* notify individual customers of the status of their order.

--HC

Reply to
HC

Simply don't order from them anymore. Some companies simply don't care about small orders. Lane

Reply to
Lane

K2NNJ