Starvation Wages

I see no reason for the government to take money from the tax payer, and give it to farmers.

. Christ>>>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

or.politics:987719 can.politics:1483974

Reply to
§?amßuster

True. However, the youth of today has been conditioned into believing they must strive for the very high paying, non physical labor type of jobs. Unfortunately, as is the same for all the athletes who base their future on becoming a pro, there aren't enough openings are available. You must be VERY good at what you do, have a few connections, and have a backup plan in case you don't succeed in achieving the elite status you desire. Most do not.

True. Those trades cannot be outsourced.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Do you believe famine is impossible even without government support?

Reply to
Siri Cruise

My latest PLC machine: I have hired a person in the morning and trained him to put two parts and 6 bundles of wire in place and put his hands into the two hand cuffs then take the finished part out and put it in a barrel. Repeat. That new hire makes exactly the same number of parts as a 15 year veteran. And five times as many as an artisan makes by hand on a simple machine. The product is of higher quality, can be run at higher speeds and use high-tensile wire.

We and working on automating the insertion of the parts. I don't need to send jobs overseas or train an operator for months. But, I have to compete with Chinese products using junk materials.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Myth. The jobs that have consistently low unemployment numbers are the "very high paying, non physical labor type of jobs."

Here are the actual unemployment figures for the jobs mentioned, from a Wall Street Journal analysis of Bureau of Labor Stastics figures from 2012:

Electrician 11.2% Plumber 10.2% Millright 6.9% Automotive mechanics 7.9%

The national average at that time was 7.8%. Here are the geek jobs mentioned above:

Computer scientists and systems analysts 3.6% Computer and IT managers 3.2%

And so it goes. Computer hardware engineers, 1.9%. Biomedical engineers, 0.4%. Brick and stone masons, 18.8%.

The kids have been "conditioned" right.

Ed Huntress

# The employees don't have the money, so they aren't the customers. Who are the # customers?

So what the hell difference is it that employees can't buy stuff from their employer?

Minimum wage jobs are paid at what they are worth. That's the same at any job.

But minimum wage jobs are just passing jobs on a career path. If someone chooses to stick with a dead end job, there's no reason for me to pay more because of their lack of initiative.

Reply to
Wayne

I don't know who is stupider you or George. The dependence on subsidies means this not a free market transaction, so you're an idiot to bring it up. That you are unaware of subsidies to corn, potatoes, and cattle shows why you say such stupid things about politics.

Reply to
Siri Cruise

Hi, Idiot George. Rant some more.

Reply to
Siri Cruise

This is not specifically an Obama thing. Nearly 30 years ago I met a bloke who was an engineer for a chip making company. He mentioned that he had built plants in Korea, Malaysia and Indonesia, and that in a few years they would be building a plant in the U.S. When I asked about the high cost of labor in America he said "automation".

Reply to
John B.

How many of these high paying jobs are available?

Reply to
Siri Cruise

Why do you crosspost to rec.crafts.metalworking? What does this thread have to do with them?

Prove YOU'RE not stupid. Answer that simple question. Know you won't.

snicker

Reply to
Harold Burton

It is hard to make a computer fix toilets, however, it is possible to make reliable toilets due to progress, that do not need fixing.

There is only so many toilet fixers that are needed.

As for digging ditches, I cannot see why a computer could not dig ditches, or drive a OTR semi truck.

It is also natural that computers would make bad "IT geeks" unemployed. I used to work for a financial firm in Chicago. I set up a system of Linux servers, 120+, that did not need even one system administrator. They did not need administrators, because they was managed properly by scripts, as opposed to "IT geeks" walking from computer to computer. We did not fire existing system admins, but did not need to hire anybody either.

I managed them, which took at most 2 hours of my time per week. It was great. Not the endless labor intensive drudgery it used to be.

Ignoramus15215

I never buy any non-American wire brushes.

Did you talk to any automation companies about setting up a robot to do this work? I am thinking that you can spend $20k and get rid of that employee or repurpose him or her.

Ignoramus15215

And you can pay some theif $400 per hour every time the robot breaks down.

Reply to
clare

*YOU* shut the f*ck up, you goddamned shit stain.

Who will supply the demand?

--(the rich can only eat so much cake)....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I believe that famine is far more likely with the addition of government interference.

A properly working free market will have farmers and ranchers who produce as much as they can.

Spending tax dollars to pay farmers not to farm, is beyond absurd.

. Christ> >

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aren't many min wage jobs held by kids living with parents? Kids who don't have a lot of expenses, yet.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Government subsidies OR managed production are two options to maintain a healthy long term agricultural (food producing) sector. By "managed production" I mean a system like Canada's marketing boards, with quotas andstructured pricing. More effective than subsidies, and also more fair, as the consumer pais for it - not the taxpayer.

Reply to
clare

In the USA, we used to have something called a free market. People did what paid the best. Now, for example, ethanol for gasoline pays better than corn for food. I expect that's due to government interference.

I don't think the US Constitution gives the powers for government regulation of farming.

. Christ>>>> I see no reason for the government to take money from the tax payer, and

Reply to
Stormin Mormon