Strange Knife "What is it"

Found this knife in a building.

Side View

Top View

Top section is not sharp, the bottom is sharp on the bottom side.

Thanks is advance to anyone that can identify.

Scott in Texas

Reply to
jano

Don't have any answers for you about the knife, but I'm glad to see that the prices for slaughter goats is still holding steady :)

JB

Reply to
John

For sectioning grapefruit ?

Reply to
Snag

It is a Jewish ceremonial knife for doing circumcisions on twin boys, one of which is liked, the other is not liked. The sharp knife is used on the favorite. The serrated edge is used on the bad one.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

Try medical/surgical instruments, historical. It looks a lot like something my Dad found in the late Doc Fisher's tool-kit. Doc was a real "sawbones" who practiced from around Civil War times into early CenturyXX.

Flash

Reply to
flash60601

Just a guess, but I suspect it is some sort of ferrier's tool, or something along those lines that might be used by a large animal veterinarian.

Jerry Foster

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Y'know, I considerd that as a possibility earlier this morning, but discarded it as too unlikely.

It *DOES* look as though the top, serrated section is more like a spoon than a knife, and the curved lower blade would likely make quick work of the rind...

Reply to
Don Bruder

I used to help our ferrier and never saw a similar tool. He was a traditional ferrier. He even forged the shoes from bar stock. Karl

Jerry Foster wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I wonder how many of us would be thrilled to get to watch the whole process?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

One. Next?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It was interesting. He was trained at a traditional ferriers school In Virginia if I remember correctly. Karl

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I think...think..that its a "weavers" knife, used for cutting threads on a weaving mill. The serations on the top are used for aligning the threads as you set up the thread spools.

Gunner

snipped-for-privacy@cctc.net wrote:

Reply to
gunnerasch