taps: dies and rethreading dies

Greetings, Recently someone here pointed out that hexagonal dies are for rethreading and that the OP needed the round die for his threading application.

Are there also two types of taps, threading and rethreading?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

You can make a rethreading tap EZ by cutting a slot in a bolt or grinding the end to a suitable shape

Reply to
Nick Hull

Two types of taps: good ones and junk ones. Junk ones are the HF imports and similar no-names, marked "tungsten steel" or "titanium". Good ones are bought from an industrial supplier, MSC, J&L Industrial and the like, marked Greenfield or Chicago Latrob, something with a real name, and are properly ground and hardened. The ones formerly marked Hansen(now Irwin) that you can pick up on a Sunday afternoon at the local hardware store are what I'd consider the low end of acceptable. Emergency use only.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

As for taps, not to my knowledge. It's a good use for taps that are already too worn to cut new threads dependably. The rust and other gunk typically on a used thread wears a good tap or die considerably, thus it's not advisable to use them for this purpose if you don't have to.

As for dies, it USED to be that hex dies were for rethreading. Rethread dies are the same size as the common nut for that size thread, and can be turned easily with the same wrenches. Their proportions are thus 'fatter' (thicker with smaller diameter) than a standard die.

Now there are hex dies intended for primary threading. These are usually at the low end of the quality spectrum, and mostly sold at hardware stores and home centers. These hex threading dies are larger than rethread dies, about the same size as regular round dies, and about the same thickness. Thus they are more 'plate like', larger diameter and thinner in proportion than rethread dies.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

snip

snip

Thanks. For the limited amount of threading I need to do, the Hanson/Irwin stuff looks like it will do the job. (I have a half dozen 10' lengths of

3/8-16 allthread, so it gets used for everything...) Made a tap for wood by filing notches in a cutoff.
Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Don't be to sure they will do the job you want. Just wait until the 3/8 tap snaps because you put too much torque on it and the pointed remains open a 6in. would in your arm! Spend the money on a good set and replace the tap when it gets dull.

Been there and have the scar to prove it.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

I hear you. Point taken.