template jig for butt plate

I'm reading the book, Jig and Fixture Design, 3d ed., by Edward G. Hoffman from cover to cover. In Ch.9, he shows how to design a template jig for a butt plate. I went through all of the details of planning the the jig and understood them, but Hoffman indicates that there is still a gap between that and the final drawing. Noteworthy in the latter are indications for chamfering, which make a certain amount of sense, and what look like indications for welding. I don't understand why any welding would be done at all, since it looks like one can make the jig with only turning and drilling operations.

The relevant diagram for the final drawing is on p.147, Fig.9-16, in case anyone wants to try to explain this detail.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

Allan,

I looked at the drawing and read the "Completing the Tool Drawing," paragraph. I don't understand your question, however.

Perhaps you're referring to the sentence, "... the tool drawing must include any special instructions the toolmaker will need to fabricate the tool, Figure 9-16."

After looking at the work plan and part print, I can see, for instance, the number of pieces the tool will have to produce has not been mentioned. If that tool had to produce a million parts, you might want renewable bushings so that the maintenance guys don't have to press the bushings out 10 or 100 times.

As for the chamfers, you must place large chamfers on tooling. Handling usually causes pieces to get *beat up*. Burrs created from rough or excessive handling will impair the accuracy and function of the jig. This is unacceptable. It doesn't take long to break the edges but the benefits are major...

I think the welding symbols you are referring to are surface finish symbols. I don't think the drawing is correct in specifying those symbols (they look like checkmarks on leaders) as it doesn't really specify anything. Perhaps it means that the surface cannot be left as mill stock (as a lazy toolmaker - is there any other kind? - would leave) as they are reference surfaces...

I have the 4th edition, BTW.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

*
*
*
Robin S.

Thanks to Robin S. for answering my question. I'll have to review the various drafting symbols.

The jig is designed in chapter 9. It serves to drill two little holes in the annular plate. After that, the plate is placed in a vise-clamp fixture (designed in the chapter 10) for straddle milling. It is recommended that the part be located in the same way as in chapter 9, in order to maintain control of tolerances. In the preceding chapter, the primary locator was a pin in the big central hole and the secondary locator was a pin in the first of the two small holes to be drilled. The second little hole to be drilled is located relative to the center of the first little hole.

Since the second little hole doesn't necessarily satisfy the tolerances relative to the center of the big hole that the first little hole is required to satisfy, I think that when it comes to the next stage of straddle milling the butt plate, it might be important to keep track of which hole is the first little hole and which is the second little hole. The book doesn't comment on that. One could argue that the three centers are on a line which is parallel to the path that the milling cutters will follow, but I think that the uncertainty in locating the second hole allows the possibility that the three centers are not necessarily collinear. So the choice of which hole one uses could affect the direction of the milling.

Does one simply use a magic marker or something to mark the first hole before putting the part in the bin to be sent to the worker who is going to do the straddle milling (possibly the same worker a week later, after he's had time to forget)? Or is there some other convention?

I suppose that if one wants to be really picky, it might also matter in some way which of the two circular faces of the part is going to be the one that will be subjected to straddle milling. For example, maybe the tolerances on the hole center or diameter or shape that hold on the side where the drill enters the part don't necessarily hold on the other side where the drill emerges.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

Without reading the entire two chapters, the part drawing does not specify a tolerance for the relationship between the steps and the holes.

I understand your question though. And you're right: you'd either have to mark the first hole for reference, or design a drilling jig that would satisfy the compounded tolerances.

Your question brings up an interesting point though. The jig drawing does not specify a tolerance for the relationship of the two holes and the center of the pin (.995"Ø). It is assumed, I suppose, that these will be *in line* but it doesn't really say, which is indeed wrong. This really comes down to the fact that once you understand geometric dimensioning and tolerance, this other stuff is garbage. Those bushings should have positional tolerances in relation to the center pin, and the line that intersects the three features... Ah, too much to think about on a Friday afternoon.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to