tips on stump burning?

Or how about Bob's spherical project or Abdul's pyramid project? WTF are you on about???

Reply to
markzoom

Fine.....I give up. I'll but the bedside reader :)

Les

Reply to
PIW

John Ings

A turner's cube is a little machinist's show off piece. It can be made of most any metal and of any size though most are about

2 to 3 inches on a side. The cube is pierced by large holes through all six sides through which can be seen a second identical but smaller cube that is too large to be removed throught the holes. Inside this cube is a third cube. The whole thing is machined from one piece of metal.

Apprentice machinists used to be shown one, then challenged to make another without being shown how.

Reply to
John Ings

Chuckle..I dinna think there are any other ways. Or why anyone would want to look for them.

Unless you have a big..really big dozer and some really good chain...

Now that would have almost as big a cool factor.....

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

Ah ok! M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

How about mixing up some thermite and pouring that into the holes?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:53:25 GMT, Gunner stated, with eyes & arms akimbo:

Verily. How about that tame chemical root-rot stuff? - - Works within 32 years or your money back! - -

Yeah, watching a D-8 with a 6-way blade finessing a 4' diameter stump out of the ground is a pure delight, but now they have 935 horsepower D-11 dozers with rippers: 230,100 lbs of pure muscle.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Steve, That's a great idea. Can you get the powdered aluminum and iron oxide? Seems like they are maybe controlled or something. But several holes filled with this mixture would certainly tend to dry out the stump if nothing else! I still like the idea of LOX. But what about running a pipe into a hole drilled horizontally as near the ground as possible? Use the oxy tank for the supply, get a little fire going with oil or kero or wax and then supply the oxygen. If you can get the flame to start burning deep in the hole and just keep feeding pure oxygen I bet that stump will be gone in no time. In fact, I think I'll try this sometime. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

It's been a while since I've played with pyrotechnics but 10 years ago the rule was that you could "only" purchase 8oz of fine pyro grade 600 mesh aluminum powder every 6 months. 8oz doesn't sound like much but if you mix up even 5 or 6 grams with twice that weight of potassium perchorate the resulting firecracker will set off car alarms and bring the fire department around. These days god only knows who else it would bring around. I wouldn't want to find out.

Reply to
bob mologna

Thermite won't hurt, but will not be a great help. The problems in buring stumps are that you have one big chunk of fuel that has limited surface area. So the heat radiates away. Which is why surounding it with a barrel helps. It keeps the heat in. The other thing that helps is supplying oxygen. So a blower also will help. My idea of ideal would be two barrels one inside the other and a blower forcing air in to the space between the barrels and then to the stump. Have never tried this, but it sounds good in theory.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

It is too late for this suggestion, but the time to think about removing stumps is before you remove the tree. This diea started when a bulldozer operator said to cut the trees down with a high stump left, so he could have more leverage to uproot the stump.

Later when I decided to remove more trees, I ended up getting a steel cable attached high in the tree and attaching a come-a-long to pull the tree in the direction I wanted it to fall. Then instead of cutting the tree down, I started digging out the stump. PITA, but the same amount of work as if you dig it later. When there is pretty big hole, then pull the tree down and it tears the stump loose. Still lots of work. If you remove several trees, you can pull the stumps together and burn them better than trying to burn one stump. Of course if you can't burn, you still have a problem. But the stump can be move somewhere where it can rot in peace.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:55:10 +0100, "Steve" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I hope so. This "War on terror" can excuse anythong.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:55:10 +0100, "Steve" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

errrrrrr...... should have read "anything"......brr-rr-rr-rr. Me in a thong! Now _that's terror!

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

I don't think that was the issue. Purdue's servers have OC3 links to the backbone (they handle student use of Kazaa, so they can certainly handle hits to a faculty webpage). I strongly suspect it was the content that got him shut down.

First they made him remove all references to his non-fluorocarbon (non-Dupont) auto refrigerant (which works better than R12, is a simple non-proprietary mixture, and has *zero* chlorine to affect the ozone layer, unlike R134A)). There was some real big money corporate and government politics going on there since it made Dupont's chicanery with R134A look like the crooked manipulation of government regulations it is.

He talked openly about that on the web page. This appears to be the main issue that got him in trouble with the university (he works for Purdue's IT department), ie he stepped on a big donor's toes.

Then they made him remove the recreational LOX pyrotechnics. Not politically correct, bad example for youth, homeland security, yada yada. At that point there was basically nothing left of his web pages, so he shut them down completely.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

You can buy powdered aluminum at any screenprinting supply outlet in containers as large as ten pounds. Try Mclogan supply in Los Angeles

Reply to
daniel peterman

not the fine mesh pyro grade.

bob mologna

While flash powder will require the finer grade, this should be OK for thermite.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what Koz fosted Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:10:36 -0700 on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

The only solution I can think of is to make it a "feature" - basically bury it in dirt (or compost) and make a planter there. It will take a few years to have it rot out enough, but ... the alternative is a lot of hand work.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Get someone with a stump grinder thay get them out i no time .Did you ever see one?

Reply to
HaroldA102