Today's Project

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my other blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone . Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than one "weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser ... Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight and bow quiver included ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Practice shooting from your stand. If it wobbles the least bit, you probably want to stiffen it up, particularly if you want to shoot a bow straight.

(This comes from zero experience, BTW, so take it with whatever grain of salt you want to).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I haven't stood it up against a tree yet , but it seems like it's going to be pretty sturdy by the time I strap it down as instructed . What I need more is to practice with this new bow , I'm sure it isn't going to be much like my recurves ... this is also the first bow I've ever had with a sight .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Draw weight is adjustable , it's at ~60 lbs peak right now . I've got some

2117 aluminums that I'm going to try with some 100 gm points . I might bump up to a 2315 shaft and 125 gm broadheads . I'm not sure what the velocity will be , but it has what are considered "soft" cams and probably won't go over 175-200 fps . That gives Bambi about half a second at the 30 yard range I'll have at my selected stand location . -- Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

My Dad used to recommend one of those big salt blocks, like people put out for their cattle, about 50 yards out in front of the blind.

Reply to
John B.

It's still legal here to bait with corn ... and I'll have my game cam out there to learn their habits .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What does the elevator look like? Is it steel, too?

Great deal.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The "elevator" (smartass) is a ladder made of thinwall steel square tube . By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't work) it may not be such agreat deal .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My wife bought a compound bow for the grandkids at a garage sale. They enjoy shooting it, but the arrows seem to disappear. Need a bigger backstop.

Anyway I looked at arrows from AliExpress and found they were much cheaper than the ones in the local stores.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks Dan , I've looked a little and they are cheaper than most .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Gotcha!

It's nice to be able to make things like that, but some things are best done in a production setting.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't forget eBay. Most of the stuff in the stores nowadays is Chiwanese import, with prices 500-1000% of cost. Buy direct.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Greetings Terry, You do have an arsenal, look up the definition. Not just libs but anybody describing your collections of weapons could accurately call it an arsenal. So what? I'm a lib and I have an arsenal. Several weapons, all firearms. And I shoot 'em. Why not just drop the political crap and instead stick to your metalworking posts, which I and others enjoy reading and commenting on? It is RCM after all and not RCP. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

It's currently set at around 60-62 pounds peak , I draw around 29 1/2 inches . I have a bunch of 2117 aluminums , and both 100 and 125 gr field tips and broadheads for them . I found an ebay vendor that has carbon shaft arrows for under 50 bucks a dozen , ordered some spined for 60-75 pounds . I'd planned on trying some 2315 aluminums , but they were a little too pricey for my budget . I'll be trying the 2117's with 100 gr points , the carbons with 125's .

Reply to
Terry Coombs