Unions

No, I read that. After they switched, their membership went up to four thousand. Also, The Farm is a different sort of case--its main purpose is not, and never was, to set up a society based on the principles that Marx was talking about. A lot of people who *didn't* want to live that way at all joined up anyway because they were so attracted to the main objectives of The Farm, which haven't changed, and are primarily environmental in nature. In addition, The Farm suffered from poor leadership. When I visited Twin Oaks in 1985, they had around 70 members and had just finished building an enormous redwood deck for outdoor parties and were in the process of building several other structures at a combined cost of several million dollars, none of which was borrowed. I got the feeling that these expenditures were a relative drop in the bucket.
Twin Oaks had pioneered the manufacture of several products made from polypropylene rope and were making lots of money off their sales. Their partner commune, East Wind, made the same products and also had a factory which produced nut, seed and legume butters such as sesame butter, almond butter, cashew butter and of course peanut butter. It was entirely owned and operated by the commune.
Twin Oaks required 49 hours of work per week from its members and East Wind 48. That might seem like a lot, but there's virtually no commute time, and cooking/dishwashing counted toward the total. Because breakfast, lunch and dinner were provided, you never had to spend time cooking for yourself if you didn't want to; making the 48 and 49 hour requirements seem even less daunting. Finally, you could choose what work you did for the most part (though everyone had to take turns with the jobs nobody wanted, like washing dishes) and your hours, so much of the time it didn't even seem like work.
I was a visitor at Twin Oaks for three weeks and I think I was at East Wind for three weeks also. The level of organization, efficiency and freedom in these communities amazed me and still amazes me. I'd join one of them, but I like owning my own stuff too much. :-)

<snip>
WAY old-school way of thinking. The more progressive labor unions today partner with their company to achieve the pinnacle of safety, productivity, security and prosperity. Gone are the adversarial tensions. Gone are the days of a union protecting a marginal worker. A good company and a good employee want the same thing. It's the bullshit worker that hides behind union protection, and the unions aren't putting up with that crap anymore.

1930's union rederick from a time when most workers didn't graduate the 8th grade. With global competition smart workers understand that education is the key to to secure well paying jobs. The reality is, long gone are the days of doing the same job for the same company for 40 years. As an employer i want smart people working with me and am more than happy to share the proffits with the people that make the company profitable for all of us. The ability to learn new skills is far more valuable than a union job when a robot eliminates that union job. People who invest thier hard earned money in continuing education instead of union dues will be the employable workers of the future.
Best Regards Tom.

I can remember when we had 80 employees, now I have 16 and our sales are more than double and profits are quadruple. AUTOMATION!!! And, we will be putting a new machine on line this month that eliminates an entire job but boosts the pay of everybody in that wook cell.
<snip> >

Careful, Tom. The next piece of automation that you put in may eliminate *you*. Be sure to read the fine print. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

I'm old enough now that I plan just that! Not a machine but procedures and protocols properly followed and I shouldn't need to be here full time. One of my buds owns a fishing charter and could use a first mate. Another bud plays golf 7 times a week and could use a partner. One of my cousins has over 1,000 DVDs, and I have relatives all over the world that need unwelcome house guests. Get the picture?

Let's see...a golf-playing charter-boat mate who spends his days watching old movies and mooching off of his relatives.
That may be an unusual idea of retirement, Tom, but we all have our own idea of how that should go. Best of luck to you in getting there.
--
Ed Huntress

Some day I come over and raid your wife's library!

I'll probably get rid of a lot of it when I retire. There won't be any room in the cave I'll be living in.
--
Ed Huntress

snip-----

Maybe you should join a union, Ed! :-)
Harold
Ed Huntress wrote:

I always wanted one of those decommissioned missile silos for a retirement home. All underground, and no way that unwanted guests can't get in. :)+
prove it.

Craw back on your knees so that you can service boss
Millwright Ron wrote:

Once again proving that being in a union is hazardous to your mental health. I hear that you're not allowed to join a union if your IQ is above 70.
prove it.

Can't be true. I have it on good authority that MW Ron's tops 74, although just barely.
Harold

Hi Harold. "Angry" is fine when you do it, but pettyness doesn't really become you, IMHO. We all know you can do better.
dennis in nca

************************************ Frank Lloyd Wright: If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor. Millwright Ron www.unionmillwright.com

Sigh!
Yeah, I have to admit, that wasn't my best work. :-)
Harold
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

OTOH, why waste your best material?
prove it.
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

They gave him 5 points for his miltary service. :(
prove it.

You know, I don't seem to recall you responding to my post about me wanting to hire assemblers who could read and follow drawings, but was forced to take the guys who had been there longest regardless of skill and motivation. Maybe I missed it but, can you tell me how exactly length of service is more important than skills and motivation?