Unions

It wasn't meant to be tongue in cheek. I have known hard working guys that were strong union supporters. And nonunion guys who wanted to stick it to the company every chance they had.

The bit about being easier to be a manager or supervisor in a union shop came from a couple of guys that were managers/supervisors in a shop that went union. No more having to think about accommodating people. Just follow the contract.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

***********************

I only responed to small minded people who attacked me first.

I will defend myself from personal attacks. Attack the message not the messager

Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions.

Millwright Ron Union Millwright and Damn Proud Of It

Millwright Ron

Therein lies the problem with "the union mentality".

Nobody said anything about discarded. This was a new position, and the lazy old skillless guy shouldn't have got it.

He can be a lazy old useless bastard in his current job.

Context is obvious that I've been speaking from direct personal experience the whole time. And it's clear that this is highlighting the exact disagreement - I see no benefit in being forced to hire the lazy useless old guy just because he's older. You, apparently, feel that I owe him the job. THAT, is the problem with unions right there.

By the way both my parents were lifetime union members. And both of them were shit on by the unions when they needed help.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So, we can mark you down as being a supporter of all the Islamist, Penis Enlargement and Pyramid Scheme crap that comes onto this newsgroup........ It is, after all, the practice of "free speech." Right? Do you ALSO support yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater as a part of your free speech rights?

Reply to
*

****************************************** ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Your loony approach to life really sucks. When you look it the mirror,.I am sure that your disappointed. Just a wannabe............. You are a waste of oxygen.
Reply to
Millwright Ron

Hey Ron, how come you keep not answering my question about why I should be forced to hire an old lazy skilless guy, rather than someone who can do the job properly, just because he's been around longer?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Millwright Ron wrote in article ...

newsgroup........

Looks like we've triggered the union mentality......

Are the Goons next?

Or will you go straight to death threats?

Reply to
*

Right, Puck. You've triggered something, all right. Happy now?

I think you missed your calling. You could have been a riot instigator for the CIA.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I won't say there are always good results for a company resulting from union interactions. Contracts are always a matter of give-and-take, as I'm sure you know. The union gives in on features the company is adamant about and the company gives back in points the union is fervent about. Not making every middle management person, such as yourself, happy is often a consequence. Sometimes the union may have the bargining edge sometimes it's corporate. It's the way of business and life; get used to it, or start your own company and do things your own way, as many have done.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Did the union decide your parents were just too old and worn-out to bother with? Seeing a union begin to adopt corporate ways wouldn't surprise me; they're only people and do make mistakes (etc.) as much as the next person.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Does your "*" have anything to do with drugs?

Ask me why I ask that question of you.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

For good reason, he signs his posts with the Sign of the Puckered Asshole. He may be advertising.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I***************************************************

Age is not a factor but competence and safety are !

I worked mostly for large construction companies. The contactor is the final qualifier for the person that he hires. If I had someone that I thought that was incompetent or unsafe. Down the road he went. We did not use seniority as a factor. We did have some older Millwrights that were very skill sharp but a little slower moving and they were very valuable. You have to work safe and you have to make the company a profit.

Millwright Ron

Millwright Ron

*************************************** The phonies, wannabes and the Stupid. It appears in these discussions....That the rats and non-union goons are using more threats than anyone else. Why? Lack of brains? Maybe you should slow down on their intake of drugs.

Millwright Ron Union Millwright and Damn Proud Of It

Millwright Ron

No, in one case the union was in bed with management and its only purpose was to collect dues and sustain its own internal politics. In the other it was more a case of a dying field with not enough people coming in to the trade to sustain the promises they had made decades earlier. Either way, they both paid dues for a very long time and were let down when they needed it.

And you keep obsesing about this "too old and worn out" thing. That never has been my point, my point is, I want to be able to hire the person that is best for the job, regardless of years of service. Sometimes the old-timer is best for the job, and sometimes, he's counting the days to retirement.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ed Huntress wrote in article >

And, most guys I know would rather be known as a HuntER.

You, OTOH, are a HuntRESS.....

Something to do with Oedipus, perhaps?

Reply to
*

It's a little early for you to get into the etymology of surnames in 17th century England, Puck. Come back after you're learned to write your name and we can talk about it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If that's the way you want to hire then make sure you have provisions in your contract to allow it. Coming along after someone has already written the rules is a bitch, and the person who put his John Henry on the dotted line is the person you should be talking to.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

I don't _HAVE_ a contract. I'm not union. I was setting up an assembly line with folks who are, and wasn't given the option of getting someone able, I had to take the guy who'd been there longest. And my question was and is, how does that benefit anyone other than the lazy old guy. Certainly it doesn't benefit the company or the customer.

You keep missing my point. Almost like it's intentional. But that in itself answers my question and confirms my impressions.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sadly, that's the union way, and what is so wrong with unions. His position is intentional---and in keeping with the thinking of rabid union followers.

There's nothing better than starting your own business, where the buck stops at your desk, to understand how bad (read that *wrong*) the union mentality is. When you're the one paying the bills, and receiving little to nothing in return for wages paid, it starts making sense.

I dyed-in-the-wool family acquaintance was a union steward. I didn't know him well, he being a friend of my parents, and years my senior. I won't forget how he told me he could easily unionize my shop (there we no employees) and whip it into shape. I informed the bastard, in a very heated discussion, that I'd close the doors on a shop before allowing anyone to dictate terms to me. I was deadly serious, and anyone that knows me or my demeanor would clearly understand I was in earnest.

I don't do anything to support deadbeats, or those that think they're owed a living. I'm a cold hearted son-of-a-bitch that would gladly watch a guy's kids starve to death before caving in to his unreasonable demands. If they mean so little to him that he'd sacrifice them for his beliefs, why should I forgo mine instead?

Harold

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Man, did I manage to slaughter that one! I think what I wanted to say was:

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos