Unusual ways of carrying cargo

And almost all of them are on step thru honda 90s. Do they still make those?

I carried a 10 gallon glass aquariium about 5 miles on my bicycle once. The bike had about a 2 inch woodscrew poking right into the rear tire that would thump every revolution. It held air somehow.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Truly awesome photos.... shows just how important that little gasoline engine has become to mankind.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

The interesting game for me is trying to figure out which are real and which are Photoshop. The bicycle carrying a refrigerator is Photoshop, for sure. With help from David on rec.biycles.misc, I am convinced the trike carrying the car is fake. I would like to believe the guy crossing the river on a rope and the scooter with the child in a basket.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I've seen refrigerators on bikes several times in China & Japan.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Boris Mohar

Obviously you have naver been to the far east. They are all real. Most I have seen. The refrigerator I haven't seen but I have seen others. Like a bicycle carrying 3 oxygen tanks. Two on the back and one on the front rack. These were the 5-6' tall ones 250cuft I think. Amazing. Or Papasan with a load of sticks on his bike that is easily 15' tall and 6-8' around.

Clif

Reply to
Clif Holland

"Clif Holland" wrote: Obviously you have naver been to the far east. They are all real. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have never been to the far east--true. However, I do ride bicycles, and I have studied physics. The bicycle supposedly being ridden with a refrigerator would have to have a MUCH greater lean angle. The center of gravity of the combined weight has should be over the line connecting the wheel contacts with the road. Not even close in this picture.

In the one carrying the car body, the best clue is the shadow on the sidewalk to the right and ahead of the trike. There is nothing in the scene to cast such a shadow. Also, look at the rear tire--it is obviously not bulging enough to be carrying much load.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You know, I looked at those two pictures, and I think that they could be legitimate and the shadow looked about right. I kind of share your attitude towards such pictures, but, I saw nothing obviously fake.

Ignoramus2943

"Ignoramus2943" wrote: (clip) I think that they could

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The shadow of the car body, bike and rider looks good. But did you look at the shadow on the sidewalk, ahead of the trike, on the right? From all the other shadows, you know the light has to be coming from high on the left. There is nothing in the picture in a position to cast that particular shadow. It would have to be up in the air, over the road, ahead of the trike.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The camera does not appear to have been level in the fridge photo: look at the power poles in the background. If you project a line from the contact-point of the tyre, parallel to the power poles, it looks like a fair balance. This agrees with the apparent lean of the other cyclists.

Reply to
David R Brooks

And somewhat *behind*

No, not ahead, behind. It could be out of frame at the upper right. A continuation of the shadow that runs across the green awning on the right.

Anyhow, that's what I see, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I'm not so sure. Refrigerators are mostly air, after all. And that's a pretty small one. Probably 60-70 lbs. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"David R Brooks" wrote: (clip) If you project a line from the contact-point of the tyre, parallel to the power poles, it looks like a fair balance. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have to admit that you are right--I should have noticed this.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I believe the title - loved some - thought the 'postman always ...' bicycle on a wire cross a river... Thanks Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus2943 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

As a young man on job and such overseas - only the Birds and up got cars(trucks) and us low lifes - Dual bars and down had two wheelers.

Carrying a typewriter or suitcase or ... on a bicycle was interesting. Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

daniel peterman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:48:50 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus2943 quickly quoth:

Our Generals in Iraq should talk to some of these entrepreneurs about logistics, huh?

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:16:32 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Gary A. Gorgen" quickly quoth:

I'm sure it's possible, but with the bike vertical and the guy centered on the seat? It seems a bit too far-fetched. Great pics, though, aren't they?

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to Leo Lichtman :

Note that the car body shadow is ahead of the front wheels of the trike, so the sun is behind straight overhead.

Now -- look at the green awning. That could be the source of the shadow which you are seeing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Quite possibly a sign like the "Money Gram" sign further up the street.

Notice that the shadow on the sidewalk ahead of the car body is consistant with the shadow on the awning to the right edge of the photo.

I would think a stripped out car body shell would be within the abilities of one of those trike trucks, if awkward.

I had a only motorcycle licence for several years and have carted home some stuff that was unsafe and probably illegal to be on the road with a time or two.

I think it worth mentioning in relation to the fridge, that they are mostly heavy at the base and towards the back (moved a few, doing furniture and appliance deliveries long ago).Looking at the angles of all the straight up and down stuff in the background (leaning) leads me to think the rider is quite leaned over.

Fun pictures, in any case.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones