Unusual ways of carrying cargo

well... our generals buy hydraulic cylinders for $3,200 apiece (really huge ones) while their subordinates surplus exactly the same cylinders and sell them to me for $71 apiece.

Ignoramus2943

It looks to me as if the sidewalk has been patched. Fresh dark concrete rather than a shadow...

Has anyone searched for a higher resolution picture?

Reply to
William Bagwell

--Look again; we have "western" notions of how big a fridge should be. This one is probably half as big and less than half the weight.. ;-)

Reply to
steamer

On 21 Oct 2006 02:52:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) quickly quoth:

The rear end of the car is about 1' ahead of the front end, and the shadow reflects that. Maybe that's why the driver is holding onto it so tightly now. It probably weighs a good 500 lbs. Shadows on the car, bike, rider, Honda Civic(?) stripper, and street signs are all good.

That's the only funky shadow, and it's not coming from the awning. It must be something overhead, perhaps a street sign on a wire? Looking again, it could be a PAINT stripe, like a gray carpet treatment for the folks coming into (Impxxxxxx) restaurant.

All the photos look real to me, and I've been using Photoshop for a decade now, from v3 to CS. A hirez pic would be nice since this jpg pixelates horribly when I blow it up. Yeah, I tripled the rez and cropped the sidewalk in question. The area is either painted or it's possibly fresh concrete where they repiped? Here's a quick 3x bicubic interpolation of that area:

appears that it's not a shadow after all!

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It is at greater lean angle. The camera is tilted somewhat. Note that the fridge bike is not parallel to the other bikes in the scene. Mentally (or digitally) rotate the picture counterclockwise until the lamp posts are vertical for a truer view of the lean angle. Within reality specs, I suspect.

What shadow? I see a strip of darker pavement, as if work had been done, and the patch material was a different color than the original sidewalk.

The rear tire ISN'T carrying much load. The two in front (which appear to be heavier duty than the normal bicycle tire no the rear) are carrying the load. Hell, I'm surprised that the weight of the car body doesn't flip the whole trike right over on its nose.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Is it not possible that what you are seeing is simply WET sidewalk from being hosed off? Looks like water to me, not a shadow. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

What's that Lassie? You say that Steve Ackman fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 21 Oct 2006 15:38:45 -0400:

And I think the front tires are solid, not pneumatic.

Reply to
dan

There was a guy in Michigan when I was into motorcycle trials competition who would load his trials bike onto a sidehack attached to his water buffalo Suzuki 750. Gas cans, cooler, spares.... Funniest thing I ever saw. I like the pic in this set of the dude carrying the sheet of glass.. I think the car one is real.

Reply to
daniel peterman

"daniel peterman" wrote: (he) would load his trials bike onto a sidehack attached to his water buffalo Suzuki 750. Gas cans, cooler, spares.... Funniest thing I ever saw. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Many people don't realize what this does to the handling. If you approach a corner and hit the brake, the sidecar wants to swing around the bike. This can help you around a corner or work against you. Likewise, when you accelerate, the extra weight off center makes the bike want to turn. He must have had a time with all that extra weight.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

According to daniel peterman :

[ ... ]

I believe that is a mirror. And there are two people on that bike, one steering, and one stabilizing the mirror. You can see part of the second pants leg on the right. The fact that it is a mirror really confuses the upper part of the photo.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

About 1949/50 I used to haul Harleys in full wooden crates from the freight office with an old Harley flathead and a sidecar frame with a wooden floor. I learned pretty quickly that it was tricky.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I was thinking what would happen to the dude holding the mirror during an excelleration...seven years bad luck is my guess.

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

Lived in Africa for 35 years. The car on the bike is REAL. Things that go on daily would have our health and safey people going apopectic, they wouldn't last a day. We in the west, especially here in the UK have lost our spirit of adventure and enterprise due to Health and Safety bullsh*t. GeoffH (The Pirate) Norfolk - UK not VA

Reply to
gch

But if you look at the rest of the people in the picture, and the curb, the guy is leaning more to yhr left than you think.

I think the picture was cropped to make the guy more vertical.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:22:00 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce Barnett quickly quoth:

I think the picture is skewed by the lens angle. But he doesn't seem to have off-centered himself from his seat as would be needed unless that thing doesn't have a motor or shelves in it. I have no idea how light small fridges in other countries might be, so it's likely a real, untouched pic.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to granpaw :

[ ... ]

Hmm ... I'm not at all sure that that little bike is *capable* of that much acceleration with two adults plus the mirror on it. :-)

Now -- if you are talking about sudden *deceleration* -- because the driver hit something -- that would be a different matter.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Larry Jaques :

Well ... I have one about half that height (I used to use it at work as an under-desk source of Cokes) -- and I can lift that and carry it up the stairs by myself with little trouble, even at my age. I suspect that it has less insulation than a typical US home 'fridge -- and it does not have the self-defrosting heaters, and the automatic icemaker, and a bunch of other features -- so I can see it being carried on the bike as shown -- especially with the back towards the bike (as most of the weight is concentrated there).

I just had to move a dead 20-year old 'fridge out to the deck (with a friend helping) in preparation for the arrival of a replacement new one -- and *that* beast was really heavy. (But this is the reason that I know that I can carry the smaller one up the stairs from the cellar, as we had to use it as an emergency 'fridge while waiting for the replacement to arrive. It amazes me where the price of 'fridges have gone since we got the last one. If the old one had not had as many problems as it did, I would probably have opted to repair it. As it was, there was insufficient room and insufficient access to do a proper job of troubleshooting -- and the food was dying rapidly.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It looked to me like carpet or something leading to the business under the canopy.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

More like 200--if that much. Seriously, a stripped out unibody is frighteningly light.

Reply to
B.B.