Use of primitive tools

No, they are for disemboweling the enemy. Of course you couldn't possible know that.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:33:11 -0800, the infamous Jim Stewart scrawled the following:

Sad, isn't it?

I don't hang around young people, but it appears that curiosity is missing from their lives. Maybe that's the price of today's technology, making everything available at once. Nobody gets bored enough to turn curious any more.

Too many are referred from drug/alcohol rehab programs, jail, or court. Scary, wot?

Y'mean I just may make a _Living Wage_ sometime in my future? Excellent!

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You know what they say: 'Old comics never die, but their old jokes do.'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:17:14 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand scrawled the following:

The respective answers are "So what?" and "Who cares?" It's fun.

-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Were they all freshly minted Lieutenants?

A crusty old Sergeant would just order the can lid to ATTENTION!!!

(after I rigged it for him)

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Most soviet bayonets were only useful for tent spikes or sticking people.

Wes

Wes

Outside of a RF reciever, most televisions don't work the same as they did when I was a kid.

They did go digital recently.

WEs

Wes

It was Air Force who cut himself. "Anything to win," was his quip. Incidentally, he WAS the one to win the race and the car... though for those who didn't see it, he didn't win the car for himself, but for a randomly selected member of his branch.

That was the whole point. The last one to empty the contents was eliminated from the competition. By definition the slowest didn't finish in time.

It wasn't the Army guy who failed because he was in the footrace against the Air Force guy. I *think* it was the Navy guy who failed.

The guy using "his bare hands" had already opened the can about 5/8 of the way around. He was using his hands to try to bend the lid up and out of the way so he could empty the cranberry sauce onto the plate. He's one who did NOT cut himself, strangely enough. Pretty sure he was first, and Army.

Maybe.

Probably.

I laughed with incredulity, but come to think of it, none of these guys has ever seen a C-ration. Guess there's no reason for them to know how to operate a field can opener.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I don't think you beat the Army guy on Leno. 48 seconds is pitful! ;-)

I just did a large can (4" dia.) of tamales in less than 30 seconds using the can opener on my Leatherman. Could have done it in half that time easily with a P-38. Probably 70% of that for a normal sized can.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

No, it was the Thanksgiving day show. The audience was all military. One from each branch competed for a car.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Nope. They were all trying their best to a) win a car, and b) not disgrace their branch of the service.

Yes. In looking for a can to open to time myself, I found more than half the cans in the cupboard are the "pop top" type that require no can opener at all. Probably not too many guys still active duty who have ever even seen a P-38 or C-ration. Seems to me that MRE's came out sometime around '80...ish.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

d when I was a

Downconvert, digitize, the rest is software.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd be interested in hearing about that. I've gone from 30 decent channels to six poor ones.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

But think of all the spectrum the goverment was able to sell.

I thought this was only a problem in the flyover states.

Wes

Wes

But...as a side utility..they do work as an impromptu kan opener.

The 3 fingered flash suppressor on the early M16s was to keep the flash of the weapon out of your aiming line of sight. The secondary utility was for busting the strapping on C-rat cases.

Then the bastards changed the design...sigh

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Why would a smart kid want to take the fuel injection off a car and put a carb on it? I think the smart ones are putting FI where a carb used to live. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Well I'm sort of spoiled with the electric....

I have been looking for the oddball opener I have, may have sent it with a friend who went into the sandbox.

Well with my alternative opener I could probably open the can in about

1/1000 of a second. But the results from that .50 going through the lid ain't pretty. ;-)

Just had another case of MREs dropped today. Have to rotate the stock. I will say the new menu for 09 is pretty good, they are now up to 24 different entree's. Many of which are actually edible.

Reply to
Steve W.

I saw that on a rifle at ITR. My rifle had the newer design.

Wes

Wes

oh! LOL! that must've been damn funny to watch. wow. lol. jeez.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

27.9 seconds to free the bottom of an 18.8 Oz Campbells Chunky can with a Chinese copy of the Swiss Soldier.
'd already popped the top and emptied it so slivers don't matter. Looks like a good idea to wash the can out, too.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins