Use of primitive tools

Hm, and they told you that bayonets are for "disemboweling"?

I have never been taught how to use them, but I was taught how to affix them. In any case, I am not sure whether disemboweling people with the bayonet attached to a rifle, is very practicable. Maybe someone could shed light on that.

Ignoramus10998

The most effective disemboweling tool the Army ever possessed, and still does, is a radio. That currently would be either the AN/PRC-117F or my personal favorite, the AN/PRC-152

Older comm gear wasn't as reliable but was none the less extremely dangerous when employed properly. It also made a decent head rest.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Bayonets in actual battle use are the absolute weapon of last resort. However the way that your taught to use them is to stab at the center of mass and use the rifles weight to aid your thrust into the vitals. Then you let the weight drop while you pull the bayonet out. Done correctly it leaves a LARGE belly wound so that you can actually let that enemy drop behind you.

Actually it isn't real hard, Keep in mind that a bayonet that has seen use won't have a very sharp edge. The weight of the rifle behind it helps it to penetrate farther faster. With the current bladed bayonets you have a LOT more of a chance of doing damage.

Now if you REALLY want to open up the belly you don't use the standard thrust motion taught in basic or AIT. You use a can opener move that actually uses the rifle as a lever. In that you turn the rifle on it's side. Stab it into the target, then as you come close to the target you step to the side and pull the rifle/bayonet around and out behind you. Instead of the 3-4" cut you get the other way you end up with a 6-10 inch open gash that really opens them up.

Reply to
Steve W.

Is that a matter of content or signal quality? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

It's a quick way to kill someone up close, when yo either have to keep quiet, or are out of ammo. Shove it in, twist, and jerk it out. Some of the intestines follow the bayonet as it is pulled out. It's not as fast as a bullet, but the chances of living aren't much better than being shot. It's not something for people with a weak stomach to have to do.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have, on many occasions, used a sharp 2 pound axe to open cans; much easier on the axe than using my skinning knife, safer too. I still have the two axes my Dad and I carried on the trap line 50+ years ago. Much easier to sharpen the axes with an angle grinder now than with the hand cranked bench grinder I used to use! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Both. Digital doesn't fade in or out the way analogue did. "Static" manifests as a screen lock up and it's much more annoying than poor picture quality. The stuff Bill Moyers does for PBS is real journalism. I miss being able to watch it on the television. Fortunately, it's all on the net.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I gained 7 channels when we went to digital on the local antenna. Unfortunately they are Spanish...shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Shrug...after an EMP event..one should know how to do exactly that.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Well.......shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Its very effective. Trust me

Gunner

Gunner Asch

So can a bullet

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The thing that gets me is the "safety" side cut can opener in the kitchen drawer. Why is it safer to have a sharp edge of the can surrounding the contents you are digging at, rather than on the metal disk you are tossing into the trash; this assumes that you don't make a habit of licking the lids clean before you toss them. To my mind, they advertise these because they are made to a lower standard of accuracy than the old top cut opener. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Bayonets let you control captives with graded, non-lethal force backed by a bullet if necessary.

I've read that they are a preferred weapon for close-up, nighttime furball fights when you can't identify friend from foe at any distance. In Herbert McBride's WW1 autobio the trench-raiding machine gunners would bring only their spare barrels to use as clubs. They wanted live prisoners to interrogate.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And, what happens when we invade a country which uses cans? Troops run out of MRE and starve to death surrounded by captured warehouse of canned food?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In that case you want a 240D with a stick. No pesky wires to make it run. Steve

Reply to
Up North

That's like being hung with a new rope. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What kept those prisoners in line? The knowledge that a quick bayonet thrust, and they are dead. of course you want to obtain information, but you can only control so many prisoners at a time.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or a Volkswagon.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

One of the finest trench weapons ever made, was the narrow bladed garden or "sod" spade.

Gunner

Gunner Asch