Use of primitive tools

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:19:50 -0800, the infamous "Michael Koblic"

Yeah, how many men (or women) here have received a new knife and haven't tried every single blade on it to get a feel for it? I always did the very day, if not hour, that I received/bought one.

Today's technology and world are very different than what we grew up with, but, still...

No doubt deadly under many circumstances.

I hear that the new MREs are all either tearable or pull-tab-to-open and self-heating (if heating is needed) Mike. I've only seen pictures of the new stuff.
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:12:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nocando.com (PinstripeSniper) wrote:

Why not just go for the Mac Tools, or Snap on truck. Every time I bought a multi purpose tool, it proved to do nothing well. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote: Every time I

That has been my experience also. Anything that tries to do multiple tasks sacrifices the ability to do any one of them the best. (for example a "Shop Smith" :-) ) ...lew...

In defense of the Shopsmith it may not be the most precise or rigid machine but it handles oversized jobs very well. They can drill a large hole straight into the end of a canopy bed post and rip a full sheet of plywood accurately using the fence on the extension table. I had no trouble making panel doors and tongue&groove flooring on one.
jsw
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:56:33 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller

I was talking about receiving knives as a kid. We all wanted the super duper Swiss job but soon found out that they were hard as hell to use with all that other crap in the way. My current pocket knife is the mini Swiss, with a single blade, screwdriver/nailfile, scissors, toothpick, and tweezers. $10 at Target. Since I keep a 600 grit diamond paddle in the truck and a 600 grit 2x6" diamond plate at home, it's always sharp in under a minute after I've used it for awhile.
My Leatherman is extremely hard to open, so I keep it in the truck where I have other tools to use to pry the damned thing open. ;) It didn't prove nearly as invaluable to me as I had imagined. Kinda like the Swiss Army knife experience I had 30 years earlier.
I'm surprise I didn't get any feedback whatsoever about using all the blades on the knife the day you got it. Was I alone in doing that? I'd find that extremely hard to believe. We're a curious lot here and -not- doing that would seem to go against the grain. <shrug>
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... while I used someone else's Leatherman, when I went to a knife store which had them, they also had the Gerber, and after examining them both, I got the Gerber.
    Reason? The pliers body slides out of the handles, instead of the handles unfolding around it and presenting semi-sharp edges to the hand trying to close the pliers to grip something. *And*, if you hold it just right, a flick of the wrist and the pliers extend -- one handed -- to position for use.
    The "hold it just right" involves letting the handles rest flat on the fingers, and bring the thumb down on the other side of both handles so the thumb extrudes a bit between the handles and thus separates them slightly. Then flick the wrist, and the head of the pliers slides out and locks in position. You can also close it one-handed, pressing the two buttons with thumb and index finger while the back of the jaws rests against the heel of your hand, hten pull in and the head slides back into place.
    To get the knife blades, screwdriver blades, or file out, you do need both hands however, but often I simply need the pliers and am in a position where I only have one hand to devote to the task of opening the pliers.
    Also -- the design means that the part which you grip while closing it on some workpiece is a flat stainless steel with nicely rounded edges, instead of two semi-sharp edges. A lot more comfortable to use seriously.
    The ones which I have include a cylindrical adaptor which slides over the square shank of the Phillips bit, and accepts 1/4" hex screwdriver bits, of which six (along with the adaptor) are stored in a rubber carrier in a secondary pouch on the belt case.

    We all do it -- so why discuss it? :-)

    Amen!
    Hmm ... what do you find wrong with the needle nosed version? That is what I am using, and I find it quite useful for what I need. (I've even fixed a chain-mail bra -- in situ -- at a SF con(vention). The ring joining the two cups was opening up under the strain. No, I don't know her name or phone number -- my wife was with me. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

It was an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, stainless steel chainmail bikini That she wore for the first time today. (With thanks to: Andrew Mac Rob et al)

How about http://dealspl.us/product/chain-mail-bra-and-thong ?
the title of this song comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREY4_q3C20

"I Bow Down and Pray to Every Woman I See"
b.w.

i didn't see the video. i bet leno has lots of guys try it and only airs the most embarrassing footage. i imagined that's how he used to do his "jaywalking" segment, selectively editing so that only the most apparently stoopid people aired.
b.w.

Leno... is he still around?
Erik
Erik wrote:

You know what they say: 'Old comics never die, but their old jokes do.'

Yeah, everyone Is aware that his show is supposed to be comedy, right?
-0600, William Wixon, snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net wrote:

No, it was the Thanksgiving day show. The audience was all military. One from each branch competed for a car.
--
☯☯
Unlimited webspace - Unlimited bandwidth

oh! LOL! that must've been damn funny to watch. wow. lol. jeez.
b.w.

Hard to believe they never saw a swiss army knife before.
On a camping trip, my brother and I raced using the swiss army knife against the P-38 or "John Wayne" as it was called when I was in. My brother beat me everytime with the Swiss.

When I try to hurry with my Chinese Army Knife's can opener it leaves nasty splinters.
The little screwdriver blade on the end will do Phillips heads if they aren't too tight.
jsw
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:06:25 -0800, the infamous "Michael Koblic"

That's downright shameful. I hope it comes out later that Leno set 'em up or paid them to stumble. Any other scenario is just too scary. I hope the Al Queda boys don't see that show. Talk about an esteem builder for the enemy...

The question coming up in my mind: Is this entire current generation totally clueless when it comes to mechanical things, and only good for playing electronic games?

If -all- of them couldn't do it in record time, I'd be extremely surprised.

I'd hope both the Brits and Russians would do better than our sample did, that's for certain.

Yes, and absolutely. Next question!
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Were they all freshly minted Lieutenants?
A crusty old Sergeant would just order the can lid to ATTENTION!!!
(after I rigged it for him)
jsw
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:58:40 -0800 (PST), the infamous Jim Wilkins

LOL!
That's two today. I didn't write that text. The Doc done it!
-- Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.