Way OT: Great Jamaican Jerk Sauce - Unsolicited Recomendation

A few years ago, at the annual street fair in Hoboken, I discovered the best Jamaican Jerk Sauce I've ever had. A very dignified ex-Jamaican gentleman was selling this sauce in a tent not far from where Lee Ross was showing his aerial photography. I sampled and then bought a jar of Grandpa Eddie's Jamaican Jerk Sauce, and found it to be a great "secret ingredient" in all sort of things besides jerked chicken and pork, for which of course it is fantastic. I use a teaspoon in beef stew, a scant dash in scrambled eggs, and a half teaspoon in salmon soufflé. It gives a subtle hint of something that you just can't quite place, but tastes very good. After buying that jar, I contacted Eddie and bought several more for myself and friends. This afternoon, Eddie dropped by and presented me with a jar of a special batch he had made just for me, with several times the normal dose of Scotch Bonnet peppers. I plan on not sampling this until I have paramedics handy -- the normal sauce is definitely not for the faint of heart, so this special stuff might very well be life-threatening. OTOH, I thought that I should spread the word among my aviation and metalworking friends that even the normal sauce is well worth a trial.

Eddie also mentioned that he now has a website, and that he sells his products on it. That's at

I suspect that many of you reprobates (particularly the RAHnians) will appreciate something like this. I much prefer the Jerk Sauce. The barbeque sauce is also very good, but the Jerk Sauce is in a whole other dimension.

I have no interest in Eddie's company other than as a very satisfied customer. I only know Eddie through my few interactions with him, but he's a very nice and gentle man, and I believe that his sauce deserves a much wider fan base. Enjoy.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Send a jar to Jay Honeck. He will bring it to the annual gathering at AirVenture where it will be sampled with everything on the table and by everyone from anywhere.

Reply to
john smith

That just ain't right, Bob... "Jerk sauce" on EGGS?

;-)

(Of course, I know folks who put Tabasco sauce on eggs, A-1 sauce on a good piece of dead cow, and ketchup on hash browns, too...)

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Unfortunately, the more hot sauce you consume, the more you burn off your taste buds. Now days I grow my own habenero peppers to get a little taste but 50 years ago, my parents warned me that my mouth would burn for 3 days if I ate any of that spicy food such as PIZZA! Of course hot sauces can give a hole new meaning to "ring of fire".

Reply to
Stubby

It's a sauce commonly made out of a combination of hot peppers (e.g. habaneros), spices, and herbs. Considered a Jamaican culinary delight.

It's nuanced, balanced, and has some pep without overpowering you senseless. :) (Though there *are* some stronger variants sold in Jamaica, I think?)

Used to marinate meat before cooking. Most commonly chicken. Meat isn't dried out or anything; it's cooked normally.

The original poster who started this thread was a spammer, so I would not recommend patronizing his website.

But if you want to find out more, you can do a Yahoo search (at

for the keywords 'jerk sauce'.

Or take a look here to see the ingredient list:

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Foster

Bob Chilcoat a spammer?

I don't think so. He's well-known, at least here in rec.aviation.piloting. If he says he has no connection to the product, I believe him.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Duniho

Hmm, I must've been thinking of someone else, then. Too many USENET spammers going around lately. :) And must've not been paying sharp attention to whom.

Sorry, Bob.

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Foster

S N I P

Gee, you sound like my wife (Swedish, bland food, strongest spices are maybe onions and garlic, and then, only in moderation.) :-)

I find the opposite. The more hot stuff I consume, the more and different taste buds open up and I get a more varied experience. My wife claims that it burns off the taste buds, but I know better. :-) I think you have to break through the "blah" barrier and burn off that bland crust over the taste buds. Then, they can truly do what God intended. :-) (Tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.)

Michael Pilla

Reply to
Michael Pilla

"Dan Foster" wrote in

No, he is a somewhat regular poster, here. He did label this as "Way OT," what more could you ask?

Reply to
Morgans

Apology accepted.

I thought someone might consider me a spammer with this, so I tried several ways to reduce the likelihood. I guess if you didn't know me at all, it's a reasonable error, but I've been around these newsgroups since the Zoom wars.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

I think the problem is the name of the sauce. With a name like "jerk sauce" you just expect something to be fishy...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Hey Dan, Bob is not a spammer.

The Monk

Reply to
Flyingmonk

I find the opposite. The more hot stuff I consume, the more and different taste buds open up and I get a more varied experience. My wife claims that it burns off the taste buds, but I know better. :-) I think you have to break through the "blah" barrier and burn off that bland crust over the

taste buds. Then, they can truly do what God intended. :-) (Tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.)

Hey Michael,

If you like hot food, try ordering Thai food in Thai restaurants near you and say you want it "Thai hot" and you will see how hot Thais eat their food. :^)

The Monk

Reply to
Flyingmonk

"Hot" and spicy food is a matter of personal taste, of course. There are some that IMHO eat it so damned hot that I can't even taste what I am eating when I've tried THEIR level of "heat". One must start slowly, however, as most palates are very sensitive to start. A bit of spice DOES help bring out some of the more complex flavors of many foods, i.e, jalapenos with burritos and Mexican food. Curries, meat dishes,and even spaghetti can be enhanced with a bit of spice. I really piss off wifey when the cayenne comes out for her very good spaghetti sauce, her meat loaf, and even the tuna casserole!!! (She wuz raised Italian and takes 2-3 days to make a 3 gallon pot of sauce) And, yes, Thai food can be HOT!! I can only take their medium heat, but the Pakistani's have the hottest shit I've EVER encountered, including Habanero and Scotch Bonnet concoctions. If you find some, proceed very carefully!!! Bill

Reply to
BillP

Is that you BWB? Welcome back! Where've you been hiding?

The Monk

Reply to
Flyingmonk