What is it?

My first guess was a fancy angle finder. The degree wheel has percent and degrees engraved on the end. No brand name. Upon closer examination, there is a small peep hole on one end, and a 45 degree mirror under the bubble in the square tube. The other end is open with a thin horizontal brass flat wire. It is something you'd look through. Engraved on the side THS

56-0612. A knob where it looks like you could attach a lanyard. Black anodized finish, looks like decent quality for Japanese goods.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Maybe some form of inclinometer?

Reply to
Polyp

My guess is that it's for measuring grades because it's calibrated in degrees and percent. Level the instrument, sight up or down the hill thru peep and flat wire , read the scale.

Reply to
Don Foreman

we knew them as an abney level. used in low order surveying for determining crude height differences.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

See: