What is it? CCVI

Originally, I was talking about RH's cylinders, excluding the top and bottom caps. After I looked at yours it dawned on me that I could measure the piston rods.

It's the one from Ebay (thanks for the link). It has no handle and says

14.5". It would be more accurate to expand it to fill my screen but more foolproof to lat a cm = an inch.

I can see why. The estimates I calculated were for 1 cubic foot a minute. For the 1.5 that's recommended these days, the pumps would have been worked 50% faster.

No wonder they went to two-man pumps. Maybe I can analyze one. Two men using four arms on two levers could apply more force. If the bore were 40% bigger and the stroke twice as long, they could go 75% slower.

The gage on RH's pump was made for the expansion tank in a heating system. The red hand was set for normal conditions. On a diver's pump I think it was a depth redline. That would mean the safe limit was 15 feet (for the diver's head).

Suppose a man could pump 60 cycles (120 strokes) a minute. If the pump put its whole displacement into the supply line, that would be 1.25 cubic feet per minute at the surface and 0.87 cubic feet entering the helmet 15 feet down. That's 58% of what's recommended.

I think it's feasible. The problem is not lacking oxygen but reacting to CO2. In grade school I'd be so cold at night that I'd sleep curled up with the sheet and blankets over my head. The elevated CO2 didn't bother me because I was used to it.

To supply a diver with 0.87 cubic feet a minute with 120 strokes a minute, the Ebay pump would have been good for a helmet 35 feet down. The Cleveland pump you found would have been good to 42 feet. It would depend on the diver's tolerance for CO2, his muscle mass, his exertion, and perhaps the design of his helmet.

Reply to
Bill Rider

I wonder if 1146 could have been a peak flow recorder. Suppose you want a record of peak rainfall. You smear chalk along the spiral. You set the cup under shelter and make sure it's level. You put in a tube that carries water collected from a surface of a certain size. The end of the tube should be near the bottom of the cup to avoid splashing.

As the water rises, it will flow out the holes along the spiral, washing away the chalk on its way down. When people ask the scientist if it rained cats and dogs last night, he checks the cup to see how much chalk was washed away.

A higher level would mean more holes as well as more pressure, so maybe it would measure the log of the flow. To be precise, the scientist would have to know the temperature of the water because that would determine viscosity.

Reply to
Bill Rider

1142 Fishing boat winch? On the west coast of Canada we call them a Gurdy! As a rule they are ganged with four or more on a shaft. They are used on Salmon trollers, more commonly known as a West Coast Troller. One of my friends is part owner of Smith Brothers Foundry, and Machine shop which makes them.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Sounds reasonable, I'll see what I can find on that.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The person who sent me the photo just referred to it as a winch, maybe it goes by different names depending on what region you're in, I went ahead and included some of your terminology on the answer page.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
R.H.