What is it? CXCIX

According to R.H. :

1097) If it were not for the fact that the numbers appear to be upside-down, I would think that this might be a floating hydrometer.

also -- it is not clear why the spike on the end.

It might be a plug for measuring the melting point of asphalt.

1098) Given the way the (unbroken) teeth on the sides are oriented, it appears to be designed to support the rod with the heavy end to the right if the rod is on the near side, or to the left if the rod is on the far side.

Note that at least one tooth is broken on the near right, one up from the bottom most.

1099) Hmm ... the spike from the end of a log roller's Peavy, perhaps?

If the points were more blunted, I would call it the head of a boat hook, but these are a bit too sharp, and might damage the boat.

1100) This looks like a carrier for 35mm film, designed to hang on the strap for the camera.

Of course -- it could also be for holding an alternate power eyepiece for an astronomical telescope.

1101) This looks as though it could be used for setting Clecos for holding sheet metal aligned prior to attaching with rivets or screws.

But it does not look much like the Cleco pliers which I have. It may be a more ergonomic style of Cleco setter.

1102) Hmm ... looks like adaptors to turn a vise into a small press brake for bending sheet metal.

They appear to have shelves to keep them aligned with the top of the vise jaws, and built-in magnets to hold them in place.

Now to see what other have said before I got to this.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Found it: #21107 by Amos Jones of Lebanon NH. It for raising an axle to remove a wheel for lubrication. It goes between the wheel and the body.

I can think of several improvements. As it is, whichever way you turn the jack you must put the rod on the right side. It would be better to have the fulcrums on both sides of one edge of the board in case of a situation with more room on the left side.

The fulcrums are 2" apart. If the two rows were staggered, offset by an inch, it would be easier to find an ideal height. As it is, you can pick up an axle as far as you can pry it in one try, maybe 2". With two rows of fulcrums, you could alternate between two rods to pick it up several inches. The center of the base should be under the fulcrums.

The fulcrums need to be much stronger than the catch hooks. Maybe the castings should be thicker, and I think they should have holes instead of hooks, for strength and to keep the rod from being knocked out and letting the wagon fall.

If the handle were knocked sideways out of the catch hook, the handle could knock your teeth out and the axle would drop. It might be safer to loop a chain over the rod and fasten a link on the free end of the chain to a hook on the board.

Is it too late to patent my own wagon jack?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Wasn't that a film E Z?

Reply to
Jack
1097 If we accept that 1097 is a tachometer, how does it work? Is the narrow dark line around the periphery of the flat face a rotary joint? Are the guts some form of centrifugal clutch or is it some form of pneumatic (fan/aperture) system?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

'tis a tach - I have one. I've never had it apart but presumably there's a flyweight arrangement inside the black metal can. The scale is fixed and there's a pointer disc on a rod that's barely visible in the lower photo just below the 500 RPM line. The disc moves up the scale in response to the centrifugal force on the flyweights.

1099 is the head of a pike pole. A Peavey is a very different tool.
Ned Simmons

They've all been answered correctly this week, I thought the Cleco tool might slide by but a couple people got it. A few new photos and some links can be found on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
1144 is a buggy whip display stand as per this site:
Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks! That's a good link, I just updated the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.