What is it? CXCVII

You're right, looks like I didn't read that page very carefully, I changed my answer to super ellipsoid. Thanks

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Barrel for removing dents from brass horn.

Part of printing press.

Replacement part of crepe paper twisting machine.

Antique PVC glue pot.

Cookie cutter.

Rasps or broaches with replaceable cutters.

Reply to
JohnM

hi r.h.,

"R.H." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:46eb0a0a$0$32474$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

some early prototype of vacuum tube / electrical tube:

traveling wave tube (first picture top left looks similar) with missing collector (this seems to be the better silly guess):

?spvwnviy greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

I can make up a use! Suppose 4" tiles with printed or hand-painted designs were used as wall decorations or table coasters. One breaks and you can't buy a mass-produced replacement.

The artisan comes with his jig and sets it down as a square with the holey sides up. He sets a 4" square of glass in it on the ledge and assembles the pieces of the broken tile on the glass. Then he laces thread through the holes to make a mesh over the design tile. The handle will be under one side, tilting the jig so the surface of the tile will be perpendicular to his line of sight.

Now if he has a new tile also marked off in little squares using a similar jig or some other method, he can paint a copy.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Thanks for the links, I'll pass them along to the owner of this device.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

You're the first person to suggest it could be a tile jig, I've shown it to a number of people and some thought it could be used in weaving, and someone said it could be a bag frame, used to hold a bag for some purpose. Still haven't been able to find anything like it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

Hmm ... if there is any way to connect it to a bag, I could consider it to be the clasp for a handbag. The pivoting block holds it closed, the pinned end hinges are at the edges of the bag, and the metal hinges in the middle where the owner's hand reaches in.

But also -- the groove in the bottom edge could hold a tile of some sort with it fully open -- if there is a way to get the forth edge clear.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I understood it was a ledge or lip. If the inside of the box is a 4" square and the outside is 4.5", it sounds as if the ledge would be about right for a 4.25" tile.

Now I think this may have been a jig for the tile to be painted, and the source image may have been any size. It may have been for a hobbyist or somebody making a living painting portraits from b/w photos. The artist would partially paint the picture, let it dry, cut the threads, and finish it.

Here's a company that will print your photo or design on a tile for $80:

E Z Peaces

The person who sent me the photos got the device when a family member passed away, I'll ask him if there were any tile workers in the family.

I talked to my friend about the wood clamp from two weeks ago, he remembers seeing something similar but can't be sure it was the exact same since it was a long time ago, so it looks like the answer for it is still unverified.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1095 is a kitchen knife sharpener
Reply to
BillinDetroit

1096 is a slide-hammer testicle remover.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress